SCV 1987

Not a wizard.

Say it with me.

Wizard of Kiev was what Gail called it, when I marched there in '86. Different costume in '87.

And yes, the costuming was very controversial and a real task to pull off. It would have been easier to just march and play! Sops were soldiers, altos cossacks, baris monks and contras elders. We all eventually changed into the soldier uniform. I am #2 in this pic. Always bothered our SL Smitty, who pointed out that "oh of course, Dale has the perfect armswing". I think it was just good timing by the photographer, but it was a pet peeve of mine to always try to get it perfect.

SCVcbs06a.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed it for ya. :thumbup:

Check out the GE scores for Garfield from prelims to finals. 14.9 prelims and a 14.0 finals. Also someone check and see if that GE judge ever judged a finals show after that. That Garfield drumline was an undefeated line all year. So given a perfect score in conjunction with a GE dumping. I'll take it!

I don't see how the flat horn player at the end cost them the title, as they still won GE and still tied Brass. Unless you think that without the flatness they would have WON brass and inched up the GE score further. The 'fault' seems to still lie with the drumline (as laughable as it is to say that about THAT drumline)...or maybe Visual Ensemble.

Until the mello went nuts, yes, I do think SCV should have won brass, and by several tenths.

Fixed it for ya. :thumbup:

KA-CHING!

IMHO the winning drumline was hardly perfect

The SCV drumline IMHO was off the charts

should merge this topic with the DCI good or bad- it seems to be no matter who is the governing body these kind of things happen

nonetheless two years later the tables would be turned around 180 degrees

Edited by fecontra

nonetheless two years later the tables would be turned around 180 degrees

You must be referring to the fact that SCV won drums in 89, and Cadets got dumped in percussion (which really chaps my a**). SCV's battery was a trainwreck most of the season in percussion and lost to ALL of the top groups for much of the season. I have THE warmup tape of SCV in the lot finals night...NOT good. If someone here has the ability to transfer a cassette to a CD, I'd be willing to send it to you as long as I get it back, including multiple copies of the CD. BD is on there, as well as Star, Bluecoats, the Freelancers, and one other. Send me a PM, and we can sort it out. In contrast, though, SCV's guard, drill and horns in 89 were fantastic, IMO. Horns were ON finals night in 89. By the way, notice that the finals night percussion guy never judged a finals after 89.

The 87 SCV line WAS excellent, but simply not as clean as Garfield's line that night. Call it what you will, I have finals field tapes for both groups, and it was clear from the field who was cleaner. I take nothing away from SCV's line. They WERE good. But, there is a reason that Garfield went undefeated all season.

That was SCV's first year on kevlar, and they played fantastically...just a few grays on the field in HIGH demand spots.

I have THE warmup tape of SCV in the lot finals night...NOT good. If someone here has the ability to transfer a cassette to a CD, I'd be willing to send it to you as long as I get it back, including multiple copies of the CD. BD is on there, as well as Star, Bluecoats, the Freelancers, and one other.

Agreed, in that SCV was working hard in the lot on finals night. None of the others were doing much cleaning, but SCV sounds like a July 10th warm-up. My tape has Cadets, Star, SCV, BD and some brief segments of PR and Cavies.

In the lot, (keeping in mind, this is battery only ... no pit) it would have went down like this:

Cadets

Star

Cavaliers

Phantom

SCV

BD somewhere further down

Now, the percussion is not just battery, and it's not just standing in the lot. The fact that SCV's pit was the #### is not to be discounted. And while you question the skills of the finals night judge, SCV won Quarters perc perf, got 2nd in Semis perc perf (by 1 tenth). Then 1st in the field again at finals. All with different judges.

Nothing against your game. You guys were ramming notes. Hard as hell. Clean as hell in the lot. Still one of my favs.

Oh, and staying on topic. It was not the first year that I saw drum corps, but it might as well have been. Because seeing SCV at Bloomington in 1987 was cathartic. I knew, from that moment, that I MUST march drum corps.

You must be referring to the fact that SCV won drums in 89, and Cadets got dumped in percussion (which really chaps my a**). SCV's battery was a trainwreck most of the season in percussion and lost to ALL of the top groups for much of the season. I have THE warmup tape of SCV in the lot finals night...NOT good. If someone here has the ability to transfer a cassette to a CD, I'd be willing to send it to you as long as I get it back, including multiple copies of the CD. BD is on there, as well as Star, Bluecoats, the Freelancers, and one other. Send me a PM, and we can sort it out. In contrast, though, SCV's guard, drill and horns in 89 were fantastic, IMO. Horns were ON finals night in 89. By the way, notice that the finals night percussion guy never judged a finals after 89.

The 87 SCV line WAS excellent, but simply not as clean as Garfield's line that night. Call it what you will, I have finals field tapes for both groups, and it was clear from the field who was cleaner. I take nothing away from SCV's line. They WERE good. But, there is a reason that Garfield went undefeated all season.

That was SCV's first year on kevlar, and they played fantastically...just a few grays on the field in HIGH demand spots.

I watched 87 Santa Clara and the Cadets, being objective the whole time. (And I also checked the recaps.) I can't believe that Santa Clara got beat, and by a drumline that got a perfect score. (Were they perfect? No mistakes?) Nobody should get a perfect score, let alone one that wasn't the last corps on that night. (Could the Blue Devils get ABOVE a perfect score if warranted?) And SCV got beat in drums by .05?? Yeah, right.

But back to the shows, I thought SCV showed much more energy, it was IMO a harder show, while the Cadets were good in the beginning and the end, but was boring (for me) in the middle.

And the drumline (yes some of you have heard this before), didn't deserve a perfect score. There was no challenging Drum Solo, or a constant display of totally exposed world championship drumming. SCV and BD had those. I guess there wasn't any rewad for "exposure to error".

Just IMHO.

Really?? I have copy MP3 format of them warming earlier in the season and sounded fine to me, with a little dirt, it's obvious that's early in the season because some of the parts were different from finals. Interesting. Did you tape the warmup itself?

Really?? I have copy MP3 format of them warming earlier in the season and sounded fine to me, with a little dirt, it's obvious that's early in the season because some of the parts were different from finals. Interesting. Did you tape the warmup itself?

Perhaps I was hasty on my post, didn't see that you marched in 1989. :-)