Phantom Regiment 2009...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were king, they would do Saint Saens "Organ Symphony" as one of their encores.

I concur...finally.

they should just put on a true hour concert of all their music for an encore

Ugh...wouldn't want to be in THAT Euphonium line! Quoting the Gingerbread Man: "YOU'RE EVIL!!"

Meh....I was never thrilled with the arrangement of Fire of Eternal Glory that we played in '02.

That's b/c I was referring to the '93 version!

Ave Maria from 06 was a far superior ballad (in both arrangement, performance, and original context) than that of Spartacus. I'm going to bet their encore will include some from Spartacus - but not the ballad - I'm guessing it will be the end of the show where everyone yelled I AM SPARTACUS. Just a thought - who knows though.

I'd love to hear Ave Maria again. But if they just did it last year...lots of other classic Phantom sounds to get in there. One of my fave's, though, for sure.

And..."It's...good to be king!"

Meh....I was never thrilled with the arrangement of Fire of Eternal Glory that we played in '02.

But, the 1993 version, if it were arranged and performed just as it was back then, would be PERFECTION! :thumbup:

What'd be nice:

Romeo and Juliet

Rhapsody Variation #18 :thumbup:

Bacchanalle

I know it's kind of early to be asking, but what with it being the 20th Anniversary of a certain big year in corps and DCI history, any word yet as to selections for encore audiences?

I'm aware that the corps has played the New World closer at least a few times since '89. Any hopes of more expansive selections for the 20th anniversary year?

I'm sure 'Spartacus' will play a prominent place in encore, yes? Perhaps some 'Faust,' too? 'Fire of Eternal Glory'?

I wish they would've chosen New World for their '09 show. I have listened to the Red Violin soundtrack many times now and have yet to be able to get into its themes and variations. I'll give it high marks on complexity and technicality, even voicing, but there isn't a catchy tune worth huming along to that would make me retain any part of this soundtrack to memory. I hope PR can pep it up and find something within this soundtrack that'll be a theme worth remembering. Call me old fashioned, but winning over the crowd comes before all else. Tug at their heart strings with the emotions of a catchy tune and you'll have them eating out of your hand. The '08 show proved that.

Although the PR Classics 2 CD mentions Amazing Grace being from '93, it originated a year or so prior. I was present when it first debuted, and it definitely has a few special meanings to those who know it best.

Edited by Land_Surfer