The Reading Buccaneers

Reading Buccaneers  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What makes them consistently superior?

• Better Design Staff
    • Better Instructional Staff
    • More Talented Membership
    • Better Work Ethic
    • Combination of the above
    • Other

Ok Ok my name is really Kathleen

ok, she fessed up. my name is really ########

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes..difficult is relative to the talent, maturity, fitness, etc., of the ensemble. Which is precisely why your DCA corps try not to bite off more than they can chew. As much as I respected and enjoyed Bush's show last year, it did hurt their competitive chances. Simply not enough time or show opportunities in the modern DCA schedule. And interestingly, many of you seem to disagree with my assessment of the overall difficulty in the circuit, however many of the same folks consider Reading's show easy. Got news for you...the rest of the DCA has at MOST the same level of difficultly, and in most case less than the Bucs, except for Bush. Example of a DCA corps with difficulty??...late 80's Sun. Of course that was a vastly different era....

so then, per your view, this begs the questions:

is being over written given the time and talent a wise decision? Or, is it smarter to know what your performers can do, give it enough edge to challenge them, yet have it performable?

a percussion judge told us early in 1989 that the book was too hard and we'd never clean it. he was willing to bet on it.

I seem to remember his wrap up on his finals tape starting out with "i was so wrong..."

the key? the staff knew what we could do. yeah it was rough early. but they knew it was achievable.

and the Hi ex score backed it up.

Hmm, Now it makes sense. I still think that they could push Reading even farther, those kids have a lot of talent in them. Like others have said, after winning for 4 years, why not push the corps even further.

Not to call into question the credibility of your new annoymous account (as I use my own, of course), I think we would all appreciate it if you'd stop being cryptic and just say in clear words what you're so eager to imply.

Not to call into question the credibility of your new annoymous account (as I use my own, of course), I think we would all appreciate it if you'd stop being cryptic and just say in clear words what you're so eager to imply.

I said it clear, I think they should push Reading farther than what they have been doing. If they pulled of the shows nice and clean these last few years, then give them something more challenging. Who know's what they could accomplish(Good Thing).

so then, per your view, this begs the questions:

is being over written given the time and talent a wise decision? Or, is it smarter to know what your performers can do, give it enough edge to challenge them, yet have it performable?

a percussion judge told us early in 1989 that the book was too hard and we'd never clean it. he was willing to bet on it.

putting forth a difficult book is NOT a wise decision in THIS era of DCA. Again, the season and the head to head competitive opportunities do not give you ample time to clean and tweak the repetiore. 1989 was a galaxy far, far away.....

As a general rule, we stay out of controversies on message boards. So allow me to break that rule...

As most regulars on DCP know, it is difficult to not get dragged into a futile argument with mostly Shadow opponents that even the Voice of Reason can’t win.

All it takes is some Big Old Drummer to drop D’Bomb on the boards and before you know it, a Rabbit comes running out of the Bush, faster than a Jetta, squealing louder than a High Brass line.

How about if everyone just puts on a nice Hawaiian shirt and enjoys a delicious turkey dinner, instead of acting like Godzilla? Kay?

Sorry if I left anyone out.

Good luck to all the DCA corps this season. There is no secret to success in drum corps. May the best corps win and may my corps be the best corps.

My opinions, my statement.

How about if everyone just puts on a nice Hawaiian shirt and enjoys a delicious turkey dinner

OK....I'm down for that. :lol:

Fran

Assuming they have the EXACT same staff and membership, sure.

Unfortunately that's a ridiculous assumption. With normal turnover factored in, Reading presents a new corps each year and provides them the right amount of growth opportunity (stretching the performers limits) and skills for excellence.

You seem to think that "difficulty" resides in amount of notes and velocity in running around the field. Any skilled performer would beg to differ. Playing with nuance, inflection, stylistic interpretation and doing so CONSISTENTLY is ambitious for any amateur even professional.

Now if Reading would only get their guard to the same level as the musicians...... :lol:

I said it clear, I think they should push Reading farther than what they have been doing. If they pulled of the shows nice and clean these last few years, then give them something more challenging. Who know's what they could accomplish(Good Thing).

Hehehehe.....you said Godzirra.....lololol...banzai

As a general rule, we stay out of controversies on message boards. So allow me to break that rule...

As most regulars on DCP know, it is difficult to not get dragged into a futile argument with mostly Shadow opponents that even the Voice of Reason can’t win.

All it takes is some Big Old Drummer to drop D’Bomb on the boards and before you know it, a Rabbit comes running out of the Bush, faster than a Jetta, squealing louder than a High Brass line.

How about if everyone just puts on a nice Hawaiian shirt and enjoys a delicious turkey dinner, instead of acting like Godzilla? Kay?

Sorry if I left anyone out.

Good luck to all the DCA corps this season. There is no secret to success in drum corps. May the best corps win and may my corps be the best corps.

My opinions, my statement.

Well, in my own experience of winning all shows almost 5 years in a row, when you try to push the corps or try a different formula, to even the smallest change, you end up 2nd. The more you win or represent excellence, the more people expect it from you and are critical of every detail, judges included.

I'm sure the Buccaneers' membership finds their show challenging enough. All they have to do is keep doing what they are doing until someone else catch up to them.