The Reading Buccaneers

Reading Buccaneers  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What makes them consistently superior?

• Better Design Staff
    • Better Instructional Staff
    • More Talented Membership
    • Better Work Ethic
    • Combination of the above
    • Other

With all due respect sirs ... Didn't you see this coming?

When you have a poll that asks:

"How awesome are WE?" And after about 10 posts (by a handful of PA drum corps guys) the conclusion is that every other corps is subpar.

Do you think an Empire fan started this poll? A Cabs fan? A Hurcs fan? A Bush fan?

The ironic part is that I'm the one being reasonable.

Put yourself in the shoes of an Empire horn player or Hurcs Guard member who worked his or her butt off all year and has a picture of a 2008 caption trophy on his or her Facebook page.

Sorry bro, but when you go undefeated for four years, every other corps is subpar!!!

If you want to change that sentiment, beat them. It's that simple. Stop whining on DCP, pull that hat down low, tighten up that bow tie, and do your talking on the field.

Edited by Bushsop89

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT a bit, I know.... but great point, Jim. During my days with Sunrisers, peer pressure was big. Many times the staff didn't need to get on the folks in the horn line who were not prepared.... because the other people in the those sections would have already ripped those folks a new one. We took a lot of pride in being prepared. The payoff to all this was several DCA titles.

Fran

Tell ya Fran, when a bunch of the Rebels (including 1975 top Drum Line members) came over it was like night and day way I saw it. Yeah, the "old" Westshore worked hard but the hard nosed 'tude that the Rebs brought over was the shot we needed to break that Top 10 and beyond.

It honestly felt like I joined a different corps..... Kinda scarey as Hades but being on the field for Finals was worth it.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Sorry bro, but when you go undefeated for four years, every other corps is subpar!!!

If you want to change that sentiment, beat them. It's that simple. Stop whining on DCP and do your talking on the field.

Bro,

No whining here ... I'm just standing up for the hard working folks I got to know this summer (the ones with the brass trophy).

It just surprises me that you guys can't stay positive. I would love for one of you guys to really expand on the benefits of having the staff the Bucs have.

Just dissing the competition doesn't elevate the Bucs.

But you are right about one thing: Beating them will come through skilled preparation and hard work on the field.

Some corps has to get close enough first.

(Darn - I wish I weren't so super busy right now, or I'd expand on 1993 and 1994)

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

Bro,

No whining here ... I'm just standing up for the hard working folks I got to know this summer (the ones with the brass trophy).

It just surprises me that you guys can't stay positive. I would love for one of you guys to really expand on the benefits of having the staff the Bucs have.

Just dissing the competition doesn't elevate the Bucs.

But you are right about one thing: Beating them will come through skilled preparation and hard work on the field.

Some corps has to get close enough first.

(Darn - I wish I weren't so super busy right now, or I'd expand on 1993 and 1994)

No one is dissing other corps here. YOU'RE the one that called them "chumps". They should be upset with you.

No one from Buccaneers has even posted here, so you're dreaming to say this is a "Buccaneer" post.

You are whining. Maybe it's the diverticulitis.

Every year, IMO, other corps have had more entertaining shows than Bucs. They just weren't at the same performance level as Bucs. That isn't the fault of Bucs or DCA.

Everybody remembers and recognizes the greatness of Empire in their championship run. No one here has said anything different.

It's amazing to me that you read the same posts here that we all read, but when you respond, you make up your own ideas and respond to your own ideas as if someone else here wrote it.

I wish someone would actually get good enough to beat the Bucs pretty soon. I also wish that someone would get the message about designing SHOWS that will be able to beat the Bucs show designs. Not just parts of a show, but a full show that is better than what the Bucs design team comes up with.

Quite frankly, the Bucs were the best corps the past few years, and you know what...they were pretty good. That is not a stellar recommendation. They are beatable.

Donny

So then what we're saying is that the Bucs are vastly superior to every other corps in DCA because every other corps is made up of a bunch of chumps who don't practice and don't know their notes? Well heck, no wonder they won every caption last year (wait, they didn't).

That would make a great new slogan:

"We're the Buccaneers and we're vastly superior to all you other chumps."

My post has nothing to do with the Bucs or for that matter the original topic of discussion that this thread was about, that is why I stated OT(off topic) in my opening statement.

I was relating my own personal experienes in drum corps.

I have never been associated with the Bucs and do not speak for them in any way, shape or form., but I love them never the less, along with all corps.

With all due respect sirs ... Didn't you see this coming?

When you have a poll that asks:

"How awesome are WE?" And after about 10 posts (by a handful of PA drum corps guys) the conclusion is that every other corps is subpar.

Do you think an Empire fan started this poll? A Cabs fan? A Hurcs fan? A Bush fan?

The ironic part is that I'm the one being reasonable.

Put yourself in the shoes of an Empire horn player or Hurcs Guard member who worked his or her butt off all year and has a picture of a 2008 caption trophy on his or her Facebook page.

As the creator of this post, I feel the need to put an end to this. I am a junior corps guy. I have zero connection to the Buccaneers. I really have only been paying attention to DCA since 2004 or so. Don't try to twist my original post into a bash on other corps, just because you feel threatened by the success of the Buccaneers. As far as I'm concerned, the Buccaneers are the only corps that even comes close to a DCI-level performance in the last 4 years, so as a junior corps guy, they interest me. I'm not trying to discredit anything anyone else did, I'm just making the point that in my opinion, from a performance level and design perspective, no one else has come close over the last 4 years. Why is that?

Edited by big old drummer man

NO, I was talking about you and only you. Did you take your medication today?

Okay then, you weren't insulting other corps, you were just insulting me personally.

But c'mon Marty, you're a multi-decade Buc Alum ... you aren't being neutral. Just like I'm obviously not being neutral about my years with Empire or the Brigs.

You were the first one to bring up the "elephant in the room;" the "down" nature of the competition. Don't you see how members of corps who are trying to beat them might find that insulting?

And obviously I took a few words and turned up the rhetoric for my own personal entertainment (I can't believe how amazingly reasonable I'm being) ... but I gotta tell ya... the original poster knew they were pushing some buttons by putting "superior" in the subtitle.