Opinions on the high brass trophy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that the placements were correct.

And many corps use a "standard" mouthpiece for each section. I know that SCV and Bluecoats both use Hammond Design pieces, which are fantastic.

When I auditioned for phantom a year or so ago, they said they required 51D for Euphs.. if you sounded better and matched better on something else then they would let you use that.

I'm pretty sure the majority of line require mouthpieces.. it's all about blending, and sounding as close to the same as the person next to you as possible. Same mouthpieces really help that (heck my studio teacher is trying to get us all of similar mouthpieces.. of course whatever we individually sound better is more important.. but that really isn't as important as the ensemble sound in drum corps). Different mouthpieces do cause different sounds, as do different players, take one of the differences out and your closer. But I do agree that if you find an individual blends better on a different mouthpiece you should do that.

It's all about consistency from player to player.

I don't think crown sounds good as individual sections. As a whole it's great, but each section sounds weak when they play on their own.

Phantom was amazing no matter who was playing.. BD was great unless it was just sops, they made me cringe sometimes.

I believe that the placements were correct.

And many corps use a "standard" mouthpiece for each section. I know that SCV and Bluecoats both use Hammond Design pieces, which are fantastic.

Phantom uses Hammond as well on mellophones (found on either the Hammond website or the Mellocast interview, can't remember which).

Edited by Coathope

easy.

I totally disagree.

LOL. Couldn't agree more.

At least one of the baritone lines I played in was made up of entirely Denis Wick SM3 mouthpieces.

I'd be down with letting the trumpets, baris/euphs, and tubas choose their own pieces, within reason. But I think it makes the most sense to standardize the mellophone mouthpiece.

Everybody's face is different. If I was teaching an inexperienced player I might choose a standard one for them just for the sake of giving them a starting point to begin figuring out what works, but someone who's been playing for several years ought to have an idea of what they sound good on. I'm not convinced that there's an appreciable improvement in uniformity of tone or intonation by forcing everyone onto the same mouthpiece, and you're just making some people work harder to get good tone when a mouthpiece more suited to their face would make the job easier.

yea but music ensemble also judges things life front to back timing, ensembles cohesvieness and things like that.

Phantom and BD were clearly superior in music ensemble.

Crown sounded great though, I like the sound better than both of the top two