Cavaliers 2002

Watch the transition from the ballad to machine - as it focuses on those marching backfield, you will see people out of time. I was on the field, and I saw a few mistakes around me, as well as making some myself, but most were imperceptible, and the result was obvious. By the same token, I'm guessing you could talk to someone who marched 02 cavies and they could point out some things as well. Not arguing one way or another, just pointing some things out....

Well Nick, honest question: what are your thoughts on the 99.15? No bashing; I'm just curious what a member thought about the score.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Nick, honest question: what are your thoughts on the 99.15? No bashing; I'm just curious what a member thought about the score.

Well, I'm certainly not complaining about it :smile:

As far as being deserving of the score, it makes sense to me. As people have pointed out, a 99 does not actually mean 1% away from perfection. Another thing to keep in mind, which is a popular saying around here, is that 'the corps that hides the most mistakes wins'. Any show that is hard enough to win, is going to be too hard to be performed perfectly. Also, keep in mind that both years a corps scored a 99.15, there wasnt a whole lot of competition going into finals week - especially in 2002.

Maybe it's because my ears and eyes aren't as finely tuned as some, but I didn't see or hear a lot of dirt in the show. As far as I could tell, it was clean as a whistle.

One of my favorite shoes, without a doubt.

Maybe it's because my ears and eyes aren't as finely tuned as some, but I didn't see or hear a lot of dirt in the show. As far as I could tell, it was clean as a whistle.

One of my favorite shoes, without a doubt.

It was. I believe they got a perfect music ensemble score?

I believe there is one mello stick out for about a quarter note or two at some point in the ballad, and maybe one chord that didn't lock in tuning wise right away, but from a hornline standpoint they were near perfect from the box. One of my favorite hornlines ever

I think the two moving triangles with the low brass moving in half-time is the perfect punctuation mark to the sequence that begins with the short drum break and crazy drill. The drum and drill writing is great enough to build up tension, then you get teased by the hornline visually and musically, with a dissonant chord and a couple of visual gags, and then *BOOM* — I just tried to sum up the climax in words only to find out that describing music in words isn't possible. Lesson learned.

The marcato punches leading into the last drill move of the opener are quite ridiculous as well. They aren't perfect, but it's just such a high level of achievement and unfortunately I think many people overlook these sorts of things when considering level of difficulty.

And speaking of under appreciated difficulty, I wish more hornlines would attempt isolated unisons. That's where it becomes easy to separate the men from the boys.

I've told this story before, but it's a good one...

I remember the first show of 2002 in Racine, WI. The only two D1 corps on that night were The Cavies and Colts. It was drizzling that night and pretty crappy outside. As we (Colts) were walking toward the gate, we stopped right beside the Cavaliers doing their hornarc warmup. In that brief moment, they played the opening bit of their show (with the baritone soloist). As this was occurring, the rain suddenly stopped. Then as we picked up to move through the gate onto the field, it began to rain again... lol

Edited by dciguy01

One thing that I should have brought up earlier, but want to make sure I do before the topic dies: If you haven't heard the bootlegged Orlando recording that's out there, I highly recommend it. It's interesting to see how the show changed over a month and a half, but it's also pretty exciting hearing the reaction of the fans who are seeing that show for the very first time. Too bad DCP only archives back to 2006, because I think it's always fun to relive those first impressions.

Some people were out of step in a few places.

No they weren't. They step off with the right leg. :cool: