Drum Corps As It Was

Do you live near Ho Ho kus? :thumbup::thumbup:

PS, all things change,its human nature.#####ing about it for the most part is a waste of energy.

Nice poem. :worthy:

No...Weehawken! :worthy:

Great George Benson song..."Everything Must Change".

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said, LIZ!!! :thumbup:

Now, change your avatar to show exactly where you're residing! :thumbup:

HIP HIP ..... you know the rest ...........

It's amazing how some people get so wound up when pointing out their opinion!!

Yeah, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, by all means. I think it's the poet's smarmy, antagonistic tone that has people up in arms:

"We got better; they get worse."

"...we could tell our foes YOU SUCK!" (big fun there, guys)

"Why drum corps are nothing more than bands..."

Them's fightin' words! Are you surprised that it's generating a response?

Fred O.

Now I'M sorry I posted it..

I though it was funny thats all

NOT to slam those who march now..

like I said it does point out the direction that Durm & Bugle corps have moved

Even though some changes I do NOT like.

I still go to the 2 shows in Beverly and Lawrence Mass

AND i bring my 9 y/o son WHO LOVES IT

I still Clap even with shows that I dont like

because the kids are great at what they do AND I NEVER BOOO

YEs I like older style shows( I LOVE PHANTOM)

I Hated the Cadets DOOR show BUT what they played was VERY IMPRESSIVE I CLAPPED

Sorry for ranting

LOL

That is true.

Well, guys - not quite. Speaking from a strictly "change is good" perspective, the rotary replaced the slide. Just saying.

Puppet

Now I'M sorry I posted it..

I though it was funny thats all

NOT to slam those who march now..

like I said it does point out the direction that Durm & Bugle corps have moved

Even though some changes I do NOT like.

I still go to the 2 shows in Beverly and Lawrence Mass

AND i bring my 9 y/o son WHO LOVES IT

I still Clap even with shows that I dont like

because the kids are great at what they do AND I NEVER BOOO

YEs I like older style shows( I LOVE PHANTOM)

I Hated the Cadets DOOR show BUT what they played was VERY IMPRESSIVE I CLAPPED

Sorry for ranting

LOL

I hope your son joins the Boston Crusaders some day. I think you would find that although much has changed in the activity, the heart and soul of the kids who march has not. I joined BAC 30 years ago and I LOVED it....when I am around the corps now I find the passion, comraderie, and intensity every bit as high with these kids as it was with the kids I marched with three decades ago. And, no one ever counts the number of valves on a horn........ :thumbup:

Well, guys - not quite. Speaking from a strictly "change is good" perspective, the rotary replaced the slide. Just saying.

Puppet

Yeah Joe, you're correct, of course. But the slide/rotor/second valve all do the same thing, lowering the pitch of the horn 1/2 step. The rotor and valve do it quickly & more efficiently, which I suppose is a good thing,

Of course, when the slide fell by the wayside, we lost those wonderful old 50's - 60's arrangements with the slip slide-lower neighbor chord effect: baaaah, boo-waaah, (rest, rest) boo-wah boo-waaaah...... Like so many things in life, it's a trade off, I guess! :thumbup:

regards,

Fred O.

...there has to be some sort of tryout/audition. As there are fewer and fewer corps...the tryout becomes that much more rigorous. Scholastic music programs have replaced the training level corps, as most members today come from a band background.
And that's going to be the unofficial obituary of the activity. My main point again: the only tryouts that were necessary in the glory days were to decide who'd do Lead, Second or Third parts and/or whether someone's embouchure enabled a switch to lower or higher brass. Everyone was included; no one was excluded. Rookies were sought out as their raw enthusiasm and joy in "belonging" made them into fiercely loyal, dependable corpsmates.
They have been featuring alumni performances at champs...ad other shows such as DCI East...and recently released the legacy DVD collection.

Yes, that's another point, *recently* released, and thirty-five years too late to reach the Lost Audience. The alumni are gone. For them the activity doesn't exist anymore. Oh, sure, they realize it continues on today in some fashion but they wouldn't attend a contest if it were free and across the street. Except for myself, they never bother to post here and say so, though I wish they would. If DCI had welcomed them from the beginning rather than 'recently', things might have mellowed a bit.

Those in the activity today should know something about the alumni corps and their mentality. They appear at DCI shows only because they love to perform and blow the crowd away and it's another opportunity, not because of any sense of participation in the current activity. But they're a bit surprised at what they're finding to be some coldness from the modern audience. The alumni corps can see people leave the stands when they're announced -- the height of rudeness and another wedge driven -- and those who remain aren't sure it's politically correct to cheer a performance that's diametrically opposed to everything else they've been exposed to.

I'll summarize: unlike every other competitive activity which seeks to learn from its rich history, this activity is just now beginning to recognize its past greats ... and worse, while it hypocritically portrays itself as a great youth activity it seeks out only the best of the already-trained as it turns away from the inexperienced.

And that's going to be the unofficial obituary of the activity. My main point again: the only tryouts that were necessary in the glory days were to decide who'd do Lead, Second or Third parts and/or whether someone's embouchure enabled a switch to lower or higher brass. Everyone was included; no one was excluded. Rookies were sought out as their raw enthusiasm and joy in "belonging" made them into fiercely loyal, dependable corpsmates.

Today, most of the members get their training in the tens of thousands of band programs around the country. Both playing and marching. Those that want to take it to the next level audition for a corps...much as they might audition for region or all-state or some other honor group.

In the past, there were hundreds more corps than today. OK. So...now what. It's one thing to bemoan the loss of those corps, yet IMO the thousands of marching bands, esp those that compete (the number of 4K gets mentioned, which makes sense) have more than replaced the hundreds of small/local corps that were the foundation of the past.

DCI has had to deal with the realities of what "is", not what "was". Society changed...times changed...the economy changed...DCI had to deal with it to survive. Today's economic issues may result in more changes to how DCI operates it's schedule. We'll have to see.

Yes, that's another point, *recently* released, and thirty-five years too late to reach the Lost Audience. The alumni are gone. For them the activity doesn't exist anymore. Oh, sure, they realize it continues on today in some fashion but they wouldn't attend a contest if it were free and across the street. Except for myself, they never bother to post here and say so, though I wish they would. If DCI had welcomed them from the beginning rather than 'recently', things might have mellowed a bit.

Again, DCI is dealing with the reality of today. Should they have done something, whatever that "something" may have been, in the past? Sure. I am glad to see them making the efforts they are today. Will it bing back those who have left long ago? I doubt it, on any large scale, anyway. Will their recognition of the legacy fans help them moving forward? IMO yes, it will. When I go to shows here in NJ, I see fans from ALL eras of drum corps, BTW. So yes, lots have left for all sorts of reasons, but lots are still here as well.

Those in the activity today should know something about the alumni corps and their mentality. They appear at DCI shows only because they love to perform and blow the crowd away and it's another opportunity, not because of any sense of participation in the current activity. But they're a bit surprised at what they're finding to be some coldness from the modern audience. The alumni corps can see people leave the stands when they're announced -- the height of rudeness and another wedge driven -- and those who remain aren't sure it's politically correct to cheer a performance that's diametrically opposed to everything else they've been exposed to.

If that is the reason the alumni corps perform, then IMO it's better if they do not. They are part of the current drum corps activity, at least IMO. Any coldness they receive is from misguided individuals, much as those who booed The Cadets in 2007. There are always fools to be found in any activity, so I'm not surprised that drum corps has some too.

Reviews I have read here seem to indicate that the alumni corps DO receive a good reception overall. The times I have seen them they were also well-received, again, in general.

I'll summarize: unlike every other competitive activity which seeks to learn from its rich history, this activity is just now beginning to recognize its past greats ... and worse, while it hypocritically portrays itself as a great youth activity it seeks out only the best of the already-trained as it turns away from the inexperienced.

So you would rather DCI never learn from it's history at all? I'm not sure of your point. I for one am glad of the things they have done to recognize the past, even if it has just been a recent thing.

I'm also not sure about your last statement. Yes, it is a great youth activity...how is that hypocritical? When there are more people who want to join a corps than there are spots to hold them, how is it a bad thing to hold an audition?

Again, IMO it comes down to the model that exists today versus the model that existed yesterday. I prefer to have 4K bands compete than 440 corps. With the added bonus of having the DCI corps (and DCA) for those who want to participate in marching/music at a higher level.

1) Please don't speak as if ALL members of alumni corps feel that way. I don't. Can't say I know of anyone I march with that does either.

2) Never saw people leave the stands or be rude or cold to us while we performed.