Questions You've Always Wanted to Ask...

Just some off the wall thoughts I had while watching DCI videos all day at work...

Do members of the 2004 Blue Devils feel somehow cheated that they weren't on the field at the end of their show, and didn't get to see the crowd give them a standing applause at Finals?

Did anyone of the schoolgirls in the 2005 Cadets secretly want to be one of the other girls? I'd want to be the girl in the Machine part, personally; she seemed to have the most fun.

How'd they pull that off, anyway? Were all three girls in that box the whole time? Did each of them have to spend half the show in there?

What's the deal with west coast kids and facial hair? Seems like half the members from the Blue Devils and SCV are bearded, but you don't see that in, say, the Cadets or Cavaliers.

Seems like the Madison Scouts change uniforms every year now. When do the kids find out about the change? Do the marching members show up to camp expecting to wear the same uniform as last year, and are they disappointed to find out that they won't?

Does any marcher, particularly a guard member, have a photo of themselves just before tour, and then a photo from just after tour, so they can compare just how tan they got over the summer?

Has anyone else seen someone attractive in a drum corps video, and wondered where they are now?

What kind of training does it take to be a top-tier guard member? As I horn guy I'm familiar with when most of us start playing, but when do guard members start learning? Is there anything besides marching band? Do they often take dance?

How does a show's placement influence our opinion of it? 2003 Cavaliers is sometimes an overlooked show; is it because the show doesn't entertain as much as the Cavaliers championship programs, or does the fact that that show didn't win make us think less of it on a subconscious level?

DCI clearly has a number of cameras that are busy taping during Championships. Why not have one camera trained at all times on a specific section? That way they're always prepared is an especially neat visual moment occurs, whether it's in the guard, the hornline, the drumline or even the pit.

Speaking of cameras, how aware of the cameras are the kids, while they're marching the show? A couple of times I noticed pit members look directly at the camera, but do any members out on the field find themselves doing that during the show?

Well that's all I've got right now, though I'm sure more will come to me. Give me your answer if you've got one, or feel free to ask some questions of your own.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed the camera a couple of times but only for a split second.

Then after the show you put it together and always hope the camera guy got you in an intense part of the show

Guest xsabers
Do members of the 2004 Blue Devils feel somehow cheated that they weren't on the field at the end of their show, and didn't get to see the crowd give them a standing applause at Finals?

No more than 87 Cadets or 89 SVC, and others that have ended with most, if not all, members off the field. Heck, back in the olden days, everyone used to end their shows off the field.

I've noticed the camera a couple of times but only for a split second.

Then after the show you put it together and always hope the camera guy got you in an intense part of the show

And not while you were blowing spit or waiting for your time to play.

Has anyone else seen someone attractive in a drum corps video, and wondered where they are now?

All the time...

What's the deal with west coast kids and facial hair? Seems like half the members from the Blue Devils and SCV are bearded, but you don't see that in, say, the Cadets or Cavaliers.

Both Cadets and Cavies have clean-shaven rules. I was once admonished to be more careful and thorough with my shaving by the drum major, who checked everyone out as we lined up before warmups. At least I didn't have to go back on the bus and re-shave.

Does any marcher, particularly a guard member, have a photo of themselves just before tour, and then a photo from just after tour, so they can compare just how tan they got over the summer?

I think most marchers have pics like that. I certainly do.

Speaking of cameras, how aware of the cameras are the kids, while they're marching the show? A couple of times I noticed pit members look directly at the camera, but do any members out on the field find themselves doing that during the show?

OK, story time. In 2006, there was a tuba feature in the closer. I was at the front of the line was we slid to the right, playing, then at the head of a line as we slid backwards to the left with horns down, then put our horns up to play again. In the move with our horns down, I was 2 steps from the front sideline. At the Indianapolis show in 2006, we got to that part, and there were about 4 photographers there, less than 10 feet in front of me. I saw one that was focused right on me and thought "Yea ##### get some of this! Take a freakin' picture!" as I maxed out that drill move and put my horn up, looking at the cameraman only with my peripheral vision. The result:

http://www.joleschorders.com/view_user_pho...mp;FROM=browser

As far as I know the Cavs have a "clean shaven while in uniform" policy. I don't think that BD was ever too concerned about that. As far as marching, I was always taught that in 4/4 time all major attacks come on the left foot. Why the Cadets step off on the right is beyond me. Maybe they do it just to spite us old timers out there. :smile:

As far as I know the Cavs have a "clean shaven while in uniform" policy. I don't think that BD was ever too concerned about that.

Nope....Mike Moxley's only caveat was that my beard be neatened up before shows. it was full beard by finals, but I would look for stray whiskers before getting dressed.....ended up being a personal pre-show ritual by DaTR.

BD's always been more concerned about what you put onto the field...there WAS a lot of individuality allowed when I marched. If you watch the 83 vid during "One More Time, Chuck Corea," there's a closeup of a French horn wailing after the middle quartet (9:22 on the FN vid). What you don't know is that, while he's clean shaven at finals, he had a full beard for most of tour and shaved half of it off fir prelims as a hype!

Dagenham Crusaders had a clean shaven policy.....but John Johnson gave me a pass and let me keep my moustache because I was activy dity US Air Force at the time, marching on my weekends off. Had he asked, I would've removed it, tho....no question.

I may be the only guy in Dag's history to get away with it!

As far as I know the Cavs have a "clean shaven while in uniform" policy. I don't think that BD was ever too concerned about that. As far as marching, I was always taught that in 4/4 time all major attacks come on the left foot. Why the Cadets step off on the right is beyond me. Maybe they do it just to spite us old timers out there. :smile:

I've heard that in 1984, the visual caption head of Garfield Cadets changed the step-off onto the right foot to keep the members from getting apathetic about their marching technique. But maybe they changed it just to be different.