2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

Sure it has. How has it not been? Oh, sure, corps members back in the day, inc me, tried to pretend we were not band, but it was...and it is.

i was a guard girl and drum major and not a musician, perhaps objective...there was and is a distinction in the sound...i'll try to find the words to express what i heard :-)

Edit: spelling error...good golly...

Edited by lindap

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is now. Thats why we are up in arms.

Back then, not at all. We didn't pretend we weren't a marching band. We were in a Drum and Bugle Corps and mighty proud of it. We played bugles in g, had no woodwinds and would (and still will ) argue 'til we were blue in the face we were not marching band.

Its good to be proud of where you came from. Back in the day, were you proud to be in a DRUM CORPS or were you a little bit sad that your corps didn't have some lovely little flutes to add that extra bit of 'colour' to the musical palette?

It was still a MB, then as now without WW. And yes, we pretended we were somehow better than band...looking back...a totally silly exercise....IMO.

It is now. Thats why we are up in arms.

Back then, not at all. We didn't pretend we weren't a marching band. We were in a Drum and Bugle Corps and mighty proud of it. We played bugles in g, had no woodwinds and would (and still will ) argue 'til we were blue in the face we were not marching band.

Its good to be proud of where you came from. Back in the day, were you proud to be in a DRUM CORPS or were you a little bit sad that your corps didn't have some lovely little flutes to add that extra bit of 'colour' to the musical palette?

can you even play the piano?

It was still a MB, then as now without WW. And yes, we pretended we were somehow better than band...looking back...a totally silly exercise....IMO.

Drum Corps was better than band! You've said it yourself. High school marching band kids who want to take it to the next level join a Drum Corps. Is that next level lower than the one they were doing?

Drum Corps was better than band! You've said it yourself. High school marching band kids who want to take it to the next level join a Drum Corps. Is that next level lower than the one they were doing?

Oh...the top corps were of course better even back then. But...many of the lower level corps, e.g. Garden State Circuit corps such as the one I marched in 68/69..thought that they were better than band just because they were corps...and really...they weren't...IMO.

And through the 70's...bands really got better in a lot of cases...leaving the small local-style corps behind.

No, we maybe use 'band' for marketing. I went to see a friend 2 weeks ago, she's never marched ever, we talked about parades in our fair city...I said "do you remember the ___ band?" she said " I thought you guys were a drum corps". After so many years, the people in the audience knew the difference :-)

You guys ***** about the dumbest things... :smile:

Any of the following would be more Correct. Be Proud of what you are.

"Band Corps Intrnational"

or

"Super Band International"

or

"Brass Band Field Theater"

I think I like the last one the best, but I don't know if DCI would go for it unless you make it Brass Band Field Theater International.......BBFTI

You guys ***** about the dumbest things... :smile:

It's March and DCP is bored and needs something to argue about. We'll find new things to ***** about soon. :smile:

I guess I missed the point of talking about BOA in a DCI forum.

BOA has come up in discussions before - suddenly it's pointless to discuss in a DCI forum?

Nice paraphrase...and wrong, as usual.

Are you sure? First you say....

I want DCI to be whatever it decides it wants to be.

But in the very next sentence you say...

I would like the things I have mentioned to be made legal

So not only do you want all the cookies in the jar - you want another box of cookies thrown in the jar. All woodwinds, all the time, BOA season and DCI season, and screw you if you don't like woodwinds, or synths, amps, pianos and lounge singing acts...

Explain to me again how that's more egalitarian than leaving BOA as it is, and leaving DCI as it was? Somehow that just doesn't add up, Mike.....