2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

That is an empty argument, and your example illustrates why.

The asymmetric drill that SCV is so widely acclaimed for circa 1980 was the result of creative design - period. Meanwhile, the addition of a synthesizer in 2009 is the result of a rule change specifically intended to permit such things. SCV is not innovating - the rule change wasn't even their idea, and they aren't even in the first handful of corps to jump on the bandwagon (so to speak).

Furthermore, as you have personally presented in this thread, the reason behind this rule change was that judges and staff have used synths in "other circuits" already. So the idea was not an original one to begin with. Kind of flies in the face of that definition of "vanguard", eh?

I agree. Once again, people are claiming that these things are new when they're clearly borrowed from BOA or some other circuit. Not making a judgment one way or the other on the piano, but it is not really "new" in the marching arts. I think it will sound fine, but for me, Drum Corps have a specific instrumentation. It's NOT just a feeling.

Otherwise, it's marching band.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Once again, people are claiming that these things are new when they're clearly borrowed from BOA or some other circuit. Not making a judgment one way or the other on the piano, but it is not really "new" in the marching arts. I think it will sound fine, but for me, Drum Corps have a specific instrumentation. It's NOT just a feeling.

Otherwise, it's marching band.

With or without WW it's marching band...as it always has been.

Some Drum Corps no longer think of themselves as merely a marching band by product but, as an extension of the larger entertainment community. Broadway plays, performance art, Dance theater, Music theater.

I think it's great! SCV is thinking out the box.

Good Luck SCV, I hope your idea is a success!

Despite the negativity this "piano" thread has wrought, here are just a few of the reasons why drum corps still deserves our attention (and attendance):

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...122957&st=0

Synths or not, I believe the heart of drum corps is still here.

still only 3 pages of 'why dci is good'!

as i said before, the powers that be have REALLY got it right this time! :smile:

I'm just in from dealing with the lowlife on the streets. Good to catch up on this 'discussion'!

Oh yes, to answer 'Marching Band' mikeD..... No it hasn't!

Sure it has. How has it not been? Oh, sure, corps members back in the day, inc me, tried to pretend we were not band, but it was...and it is.

With or without WW it's marching band...as it always has been.

I'll disagree from a 25-30 years ago perspective. Was somewhat involved with high school band and more involved drum corps at the time. There was a distinctive difference in sound. Was a guard girl but had the privilege to hear the sound as drum major. Drum corps was and is my preference.

With respect to piano, is it not a rhythm instrument? Is it horns or drums? If change is happening, I'll take keyboard over narration, imo.

I'll disagree from a 25-30 years ago perspective. Was somewhat involved with high school band and more involved drum corps at the time. There was a distinctive difference in sound. Was a guard girl but had the privilege to hear the sound as drum major. Drum corps was and is my preference.

With respect to piano, is it not a rhythm instrument? Is it horns or drums? If change is happening, I'll take keyboard over narration, imo.

Oh, we pretended we were separate from band, but IMO it was...and is..a distinction without a difference. To just about anyone outside of drum corps...it was band.

And there is still a difference in sound... it still make drum corps, marching band.... I will always agree with Mike on this one.... two times in one night I agree with Mike...

Just so everyone knows... no WWs for me... lol.

Sure it has. How has it not been? Oh, sure, corps members back in the day, inc me, tried to pretend we were not band, but it was...and it is.

It is now. Thats why we are up in arms.

Back then, not at all. We didn't pretend we weren't a marching band. We were in a Drum and Bugle Corps and mighty proud of it. We played bugles in g, had no woodwinds and would (and still will ) argue 'til we were blue in the face we were not marching band.

Its good to be proud of where you came from. Back in the day, were you proud to be in a DRUM CORPS or were you a little bit sad that your corps didn't have some lovely little flutes to add that extra bit of 'colour' to the musical palette?