2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

Just like it was in 1970. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Wow - did you dislocate a shoulder twisting to pat yourself on the back while simultaneously twisting my words - yet again?

Clearly you didn't understand what I wrote. Because the instrumentation was not the same between drum corps and band in 1970. You were around back then - you should know that....

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - did you dislocate a shoulder twisting to pat yourself on the back while simultaneously twisting my words - yet again?

Clearly you didn't understand what I wrote. Because the instrumentation was not the same between drum corps and band in 1970. You were around back then - you should know that....

Clearly I did...

Blue Devils or the Podunk Marching Minutemen - if the instrumentation is roughly the same - they're both bands.....

The G horns of 1970 were "roughly" the same voices as their Bb/F counterparts.

Those are the ones who decide what drum corps is...and isn't..for DCI-participating corps. Why would you NOT feel comfortable with the idea?

I have no issue with the idea of decisions being made for DCI-participating corps by those corps at the top of the food chain.

I'm not comfortable with those same decisions being used by anyone as a foundation to measure, define, and/or value corps not competing in DCI. In response to Derek's promoting the DCI board as the keepers of the definition of drum corps, I contend that they should not be defining what drum corps "is" for all others on the outside of DCI. I am not suggesting that they are doing this in a deliberate way, but more so in a manner that clearly does not value the fundamentally distinct aspects of what a drum & bugle corps is... or was. Some are comfortable with that, others are not.

As Derek mentioned, "trickle down" is what makes this a reality. Admittedly, the few can not be held responsible for what the masses do, but I think people can agree that there is an inherent since of responsibility that should go hand-in-hand with achieving success and all of its benefits, when a small collective of corps posses the power to influence the entire art form. As he mentioned, corps know that if they choose not to "evolve" in the decided direction, they are writing their own death sentence.

IMO, I think it is wrong to allow the decisions of the few to define the experience of others outside that circuit, particularly when we're talking about concrete definitions of what drum corps "is."

So if things have been changing every year, how did the anti-change dinosaurs ever come to like drum corps in the first place? :smile:

most changes were slow and gradual and seemed like a natural evolution, not just stealing from something else already out there

I think that the real question here that should be asked is what constitutes a drum corps? Is it JUST the instruments we play? Or does it also include things such as work ethic, talent level, intensity, dedication, commitment to excellence etc etc? Personally I think that it is a hell of a lot more than just instruments and let's be totally honest, the lines have been blurred for many years now. Now I am not saying that we should add woodwinds. In my opinion that would be a bridge too far, but I fail to see how the addition of a synthesizer is the end of drum corps as we know it. Heck, I am involved in a start up corps in the UK right now. Money is tight and a synth and amp is a LOT cheaper than a marimba. If electronics were legal over here, I would DEFINITELY consider it for us straight away.

the instrumentation was always a big part of it. we have seen woodwind players say on here the power of all brass attracted them to it as opposed to marching band

Heck, I am involved in a start up corps in the UK right now. Money is tight and a synth and amp is a LOT cheaper than a marimba. If electronics were legal over here, I would DEFINITELY consider it for us straight away.

you do that and I would DEFINITELY consider a move to another DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS!

I like that we are in g, I like that we have no electronics. If this changed, I would be a hypocrit if I stayed.

Careful. Some like myself might use that same analogy to compare marching band and drum corps as the same thing.

Whether I'm driving a Kia or a Mercedes, I engage in the same action. That is, if you were to separate me from the vehicle, you wouldn't be able to tell what I was driving. You would be able to tell that it was an automobile of some sort, and that would be it. Now think of your typical marching member. A friend of mine marched quads in my high school band and went on to march quads with the Boston Crusaders. Now, separate him from the vehicle. If you watched him out on a field by himself practicing his show, would you be able to tell whether he was practicing one of those high school shows we marched together or one of his Boston Crusader shows. The only clue you might have would be excellence; that is, he would likely be attempting more difficult passages both musically and visually in the Boston Crusaders show. Other than that, the methods would be identical.

OMG, is it a SUV or a Crossover vehicle???? Both are motor vehicles, but the lines have been blurred. Are they trucks? Are they cars? Are they something new?

If you take a driver out of the vehicle and watch him drive, is he shifting more often than not? Is he driving a car or a semi?

Hmmmm, you could replace drum corps with crossover and marching band with SUV and have an argument about vehicles!

Frankly, I'm just going to try and enjoy what's there.

Yea, Mike did twist your words. I saw right where it happened, too...

The G horns of 1970 were "roughly" the same voices as their Bb/F counterparts.

...and did you ever hear me ##### about the move to Bb? That's another change that I accepted. It's the electronics that screwed it up for me.