2009 SCV Piano Performance Membership Opportunity

Well you said you don't want WW in DCI. I assume that would make it too "band-y" for you? Would that be your line in the sand to say "yep - no real difference between the two anymore...."?

Not entirely... but there wouldn't be to much of a difference... basically woodwinds is the last straw with me... then I couldn't call it drum and bugle corps... woodwinds is TOO drastic of an instrumentation difference... and it really is the main defining feature of drum corps differing from marching band. There would still be the exellence factor... no marching band can get to the level of the top drum corps... it's just not possible... with the way rehearsals are, and the with the people involved. I would go into this more... but I have to run to class! Sorry, lol.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not entirely... but there wouldn't be to much of a difference... basically woodwinds is the last straw with me... then I couldn't call it drum and bugle corps... woodwinds is TOO drastic of an instrumentation difference... and it really is the main defining feature of drum corps differing from marching band. There would still be the exellence factor... no marching band can get to the level of the top drum corps... it's just not possible... with the way rehearsals are, and the with the people involved. I would go into this more... but I have to run to class! Sorry, lol.

I do think this is probably the final distinction.

Edited by bmroth1

Horns have been taking their cue from the 'trumpet' world since before DCI with the changes made to the horns themselves, just as percussion has been taking it's lead from 'legit' percussion with the changes IT has introduced over time.

Yes, of course. That's where mellophones and shoulder-mounted contrabasses came from, as well as multi-tenors, tuned bass drums, and projectors mounted on snares. Oh, wait....

FWIW...the Interlochen HS Orchestra and Wind Ensemble 6-week summer program costs $6795 not including airfare and spending $$$.

Wow - must be an excellent program to command that price. So Interlochen must be "drum corps", and DCI "band"?

Not one of the people who were banging on over my supposedly derogatory use of the word "band" have even squeaked about this post. Did I miss something or is offence only taken when we don't like the posters overarching POV?

You didn't miss a thing. The feigned indignation is only directed toward those with opposing points of view.

I think it amounts to the fact that marching bands have been using synths since AT LEAST 1990 (my freshman year of high school when we had a synth in our pit). Most, if not all, of today's top percussion designers and instructors have successfully been using electronics for the past 10/15 years in the indoor idiom. I would imagine they (corps designers/instructors) said something to the effect of "DCI is two decades behind high school band programs and independent drum lines."

Now ask yourself this: when was the last time DCI was BEHIND the curve in any aspect of the marching idiom: let alone behind the curve by multiple decades.

When was the trumpet invented?

Seriously, if you want to adopt this "behind the curve" attitude, why do any of us persist in the archaic pursuit of playing wind instruments when their sounds can be synthesized electronically? All instrumental music is "behind the curve"....and that's part of the charm.

Yes, of course. That's where mellophones and shoulder-mounted contrabasses came from, as well as multi-tenors, tuned bass drums, and projectors mounted on snares. Oh, wait....

Mellos came from Stan Kenton's band, and contras provide the tuba voice.

Multi-tenors provide the tom tom sound. The tuned bass parts early on were akin to a "walking" string bass part in concept.

I think it amounts to the fact that marching bands have been using synths since AT LEAST 1990 (my freshman year of high school when we had a synth in our pit). Most, if not all, of today's top percussion designers and instructors have successfully been using electronics for the past 10/15 years in the indoor idiom. I would imagine they (corps designers/instructors) said something to the effect of "DCI is two decades behind high school band programs and independent drum lines."

Now ask yourself this: when was the last time DCI was BEHIND the curve in any aspect of the marching idiom: let alone behind the curve by multiple decades.

Electronics have become an accepted part of the percussion family in the marching world for a long time. In fact, a group I taught was told that they would NOT be successful at championships without either electric bass or synth to add low end to the sound. So really, electronics have come to be considered a NECESSITY in the percussion family.

Yes, it is likely that electronics will change the landscape of DCI. But it will be changed to 'conform' to the industry standard that has stood for decades.

Okay, fair enough; thank you for explaining things from that point of view.

However, I do feel that since we've had so much bleed over between BOA/USSBA/etc and DCI over the years, DCI already takes a back seat to high school programs creatively now. The Zone? Done by Mona Shores in some aspects first. This I Believe? Already covered by a BOA caliber band.

I hope you're right . . .that this "catching up" will create some sort of wellspring of new show ideas and presentations that will move us forward in a way that a SCV 80 or a Garfield 83 did.

I'm willing to give this stuff a shot, but I just don't see things grabbing me that much at the high school level. . . but, I don't really follow WGI and winter drumline stuff that much, so perhaps I'm missing out and have been looking in the wrong place to see where the "action" is.

Are there any WGI shows you can recommend over the past few years that you feel take advantage of electronics in a creative way . . .or could be translatable to drum corps?