If DCP existed in 1979/1980

What is with DCP and hypothetical time travel questions as of late? It this community becoming more sci-fi obsessed than it was before.

I'm not sure our bando image can endure this increase in prepubescent thought any longer.

I make a motion to ban hypothetical time travel threads.

I'll go with that....

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The recent changes to the activity really aren't much in my opinion. In the first year of the allowance of amplification, things were a little rough, but since then, the quality and balance of sound coming off the field is usually great. And proper techniques and such are now being used. But really it'snot too much of a change in my opinion.

The biggest difference is corps repertoire since say 2000 to today. The largest changes haven't been cause by rule changes, it has been cause by corps deciding to do more artsy fartsy shows, and less, RMFO, but in a good quality sort of way. I don't know... when I watch c.2000-c2003 finals, it's an in your face type of year. When I watch c.2003-present, it's more lets play clean and symphonic like. I think in a few years we will start getting a good mix of the two. DISCLAIMER- the stuff in the early 2000's was of pretty good quality.... It is possible that the key change could have been a factor in all of this also.... but really when I watch shows within the past decade they are all quite similar in my opinion.

Now back in the day, I have no clue what they would be saying on DCP. American culture has changed quite a bit since then... but I would say a 1979 DCP would be about the same as it is today... I wasn't around back then... so I really have no clue... I can barely comment on the 90's drum corps world.. since I wasn't a fan until 2003...

What is with DCP and hypothetical time travel questions as of late? It this community becoming more sci-fi obsessed than it was before.

I'm not sure our bando image can endure this increase in prepubescent thought any longer.

I make a motion to ban hypothetical time travel threads.

You can ignore the threads if you wish... it creates interesting conversation. Which is what DCP is all about.

I need to bump my love thread, lol.

Thanks for the re-open, and happy Friday 13th, Lance!

Cheers!

Hopefully this thread doesn't get moved to the Historical forum to die a quick death like the '91 BD video thread did.

:smile:

A generation from now, on Twoogle or whatever new platform inherits the earth, discussions like these will look exactly like this with today’s generation rationalizing contemporary corps as if everything was natural and normal until the most recent era changed everything. Which isn’t to say that I agree with those think the 70s weren’t a revolution in drum corps or that there wasn’t resistance, substantial resistance, to the turn toward DCI.

Think about this: We still have people on these boards trying to make the case for the color presentation. Now I know that corps still presented colors in the 70s. What I’m getting at is how the 70s were when drum corps began the substantial disintegration of the core patriotic concept that defined it. You marched in and out via the goal lines in the day because drum corps essentially replicated a military unit marching in and out of battle. To say the shift to sideline entry wasn’t a fundamental shift denies the heritage of the corps and the activity.

The creation of DCI itself is emblematic of the break between one conception of drum corps and a fundamentally different one in the 70s. There is no way a Bridgemen corps breaks the top 10 in a pre-DCI system, a system with a narrower outlook about what this activity is or could be. I don’t know the answer to this question, but it’s also fair to wonder whether the silk- and Latin uniform styles that came into prominence in the 70s could have passed muster under AL or VFW eyes.

All of this is to say that the DCI era disenfranchised a lot of attitudes invested in a more military, more patriotic notion of drum corps. And in the politically charged atmosphere of the times, I have little doubt that many of the disenfranchised would have been proud to say so on a DCP of the day.

Much is made here of the decline in interest in drum corps since the heyday of the 70s and early 80s. I would say it is that very decline which would have taken voice against the trend it didn’t understand or at least didn’t care for. The people who stopped attending and stopped sending their kids in the 80s and 90s weren’t opposed to Bb or amplification. The fundamental changes they didn’t like had more to do with drum corps that favored the art over the regimentation – and that happened in the era of G.

HH

Edited by glory