If DCP existed in 1979/1980

Drum corps is whatever those in charge of defining it say it is...so yes, it is still drum corps. Just like 'color guards' do no longer guard the colors and 'drums' includes any percussion instrument you can think of.

Uh - wrong. I can call my cat a dog all day long - it's still a cat.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, we're not allowed to do that anymore, remember?

What you can't leave in-between corps anymore? :smile:

Man with my blood pressure pills I'd never make it 'til the end of the show.... :smile:

And MikeD, I see the point and that's why I edited my original post. Can't remember even hearing about someone not coming to shows anymore because of changes. And I rode to practice with people who had been around since the 50s who kept in contact with older ex-members. Maybe I did hear about some and forgot but highly doubt the frustration level was as high as today.

If I said that others felt the same way (which from my observations, many did to differing degrees) would it actually be accepted as evidence? Mike doesn't accept the many polls here on DCP that point to massive dissatisfaction with the current direction of DCI and attitudes that reflect my own, so why would I expect him to accept my word that I sat in the stands with people that grumbled about dancing guards etc, but came back year after year, only to leave now?

Even people who agree with you know that DCP polls are hardly evidence of any activity-wide scientific evidence. It's not just MikeD who thinks that way.

Even people who agree with you know that DCP polls are hardly evidence of any activity-wide scientific evidence. It's not just MikeD who thinks that way.

No - it's the people that didn't like the result that think that way.

But it's consistent every time.

1969...you still had drumlines with single tenors...corps without timpani in many cases...no mallets, outside of BAC's attempt (not permitted at VFW nats). 1969...set piece drills...start at the left endzone and exit out the right...color pres..concerts...proscribed tempos due to the 'cadence' caption...guards doing as next to nothing as could be...drumline elevator drills up and down the midfield line. No yard lines at all for the most part. High mark time...there are more differences between 69 and 79..

99-09? Adding electronics such as pianos. That's it.

69-79 changing percussion, entrances, and tempos. Thats it

99-09 Completely changing the brass instrumentation (not required, but no WC corps plays on G horns). Allowing the pit to be amped, allowing singing, allowing amped narration, allowing 15 more members, allowing a noncorps member (soundboard guy) to be involved in the show, Allowing brass instruments to be amplified, allowing nonacoustic sounds to be used, including electronically produced WW and string sounds.

Now, dont get me wrong, my summarization of 69-79 is not very accurate... in fact, it doesnt do justice to what actually happened at all. And yes, you can sum up what I said about 99-09 much more easily if you want. In fact, I dont agree with what I wrote at all...im just trying to show how ridiculous it looks, and how ridiculous it is to say that the changes over the past 10 years arent a big deal to you, and try to sum it up in a few words to prove your point. You dont think the past 10 years worth of changes have been a big deal compared - fine, but dont stretch the truth to fit your ideas....

they'd probably complain in exactly the same manner everyone else on here does... but there would be waaaay more of it.

some people wouldn't be happy if they weren't crying about how drum corps isn't drum corps anymore on DCP. it would happen no matter the decade.

It seems to me it would be useful to cite the manner and degree of negativity, the volume of it, and whether the complainers still found enough entertainment and value to attend the shows, or whether the changes became so unbearable that they left the activity. It would also be useful to look at whether the changes were cosmetic in nature, or were seen as changing the very core of the activity.

There were changes from 1969 to 1979 for certain. Those changes have been mentioned on this thread. Corps moved from end zone starts to mid field starts. But that is a positional start. We have positional starts of various degrees today. Changing the KEY on a bugle is change, yes. But changing the fundamental instrumentation where VOICE is added, ( for example ) is a much, much larger alteration to the activity. I'm surprised that a few people on here can't at least admit that the fundamental change in instrumentation allowed in the activity is striking, and far surpasses any of the mostly cosmetic changes that took place in the 70's. When we amplify sound, add voice, maybe add other instruments, piano, sax, etc, these are sweeping changes..... one poster above mentioned the changes in the " shows performed " or where a Corps began their show positionally on the field. Is this the same DEGREE of change as adding ( say ) Voice ? If so, well then, we simply disagree when we say that the changes in the activity in the decade of the 70's is far greater than the changes we have had in the last decade and are implementing in the coming years.

Additionally, in the 70's, many of the complainers still went to the shows. They would gripe. But the shows still had appeal to them. Today, we frankly have LESS complainers at shows. That's because from the 70's onward more fans have left the activity altogether, as the changes that took place over the decades became more unappealing to them for one reason or another. This activity had fan growth throughout the period of 1969 to 1979. There is no evidence to support the position that DCI has had fan growth from 1999 to 2009. Thus, it seems to me that we have LESS negativity today, not more. As the Corps have begun to use voice, other instruments historically not part of Drum Corps, the fans that used to complain are in fact...... voiceless........they have disappeared.

Thus, there is mostly likely LESS negativity heard at shows among fans this past decade than what we typically heard before and after the shows in the 70's. The reason the activity has not grown a fan base since the 70's is because thousands of " the complainers " have since left, and the new fans that are more prone to be positive have replaced them. Just not enough however to replace " the complainers " in numbers so far, that's all.

Edited by BRASSO

69-79 changing percussion, entrances, and tempos. Thats it

99-09 Completely changing the brass instrumentation (not required, but no WC corps plays on G horns). Allowing the pit to be amped, allowing singing, allowing amped narration, allowing 15 more members, allowing a noncorps member (soundboard guy) to be involved in the show, Allowing brass instruments to be amplified, allowing nonacoustic sounds to be used, including electronically produced WW and string sounds.

Now, dont get me wrong, my summarization of 69-79 is not very accurate... in fact, it doesnt do justice to what actually happened at all. And yes, you can sum up what I said about 99-09 much more easily if you want. In fact, I dont agree with what I wrote at all...im just trying to show how ridiculous it looks, and how ridiculous it is to say that the changes over the past 10 years arent a big deal to you, and try to sum it up in a few words to prove your point. You dont think the past 10 years worth of changes have been a big deal compared - fine, but dont stretch the truth to fit your ideas....

The only new instrument permitted in the last 10 years is the electronic keyboard. Singing and speaking were already legal, so that is not new. There was a full range of horns in G...the same basic voices are there inj multi-key. Nothing new there. Miccing a mallet instrument makes it sound better and makes for better performance, but it mics did not legalize any new instruments. So no, they are not a big deal IMO. I'm not stretching anything. Allowing more members to play existing instruments isn't all that large a change either, nor is permitting someone to adjust the levels from the sideline...again, IMO.