Quoting corps

Listening to BD '07 over the weekend and recognized near the end a quote from Tommy (BD '90). Can't believe I missed it before. So it got me wondering about which corps are most likely to quote their past reps.

Cadets are quoters. BK gives us a Trittico lick. Crusaders have been quoting Conquest. Am I missing other major quoters? Which corps are mostly likely to throw one in regularly?

HH

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to BD '07 over the weekend and recognized near the end a quote from Tommy (BD '90). Can't believe I missed it before. So it got me wondering about which corps are most likely to quote their past reps.

Cadets are quoters. BK gives us a Trittico lick. Crusaders have been quoting Conquest. Am I missing other major quoters? Which corps are mostly likely to throw one in regularly?

HH

Troopers and Bluecoats, perhaps?

Another one you from 07 BD you may not realize was a quote....the 2 bars going into the last drill set...."Ode to Joy" (Beethoven's 9th symphony)....which was part of BD's first brass program. I jad to look it up myself, because I was wondering why THAT was there!

I would love BAC to play a FULL version of Conquest again...given how the entire crowd turned into the BAC cheering section back in the day, could you imagine the volume had they busted the chart out the first year they made finals???

You've mentioned musical quotes....how about visual ones?

Troopers definitely there with the sunburst

Best visual quotes froma single corps....98 Cavies...the Dragon, the stepover, etc...all good!

Another one you from 07 BD you may not realize was a quote....the 2 bars going into the last drill set...."Ode to Joy" (Beethoven's 9th symphony)....which was part of BD's first brass program. I jad to look it up myself, because I was wondering why THAT was there!

I did catch the Beethoven but wasn't sure if it was from a past show. Thanks for doing the leg work for me!

Troopers I get. Bluecoats? Another one I've been missing?

HH

Crown quoted just about everyone last year, musically and visually.

Yeah after they played the opening hit and they transitioned to the drum break you could hear parts of Tripple Crown.

Phantom, definitely. With the re-use of kick halts and wedges, as well as pieces, such as Scythian Suite (Faust opener, 1984 opener), the Firebird Suite (1978 opener, 2007 closer), Spartacus, Shostakovich (1974, 1996, 2001, 2002), New World Symphony (1977, 1989), Mahler's Resurrection Symphony (1986, 2006), and many more. It's fun to look at their repertoire history and see how many pieces they've re-used.

Troopers and Bluecoats, perhaps?

Troopers definitely there with the sunburst

If you listen to 2007's closer, there is a quote of Battle Hymn Chorale mixed in with the rest of the music. And of course, Ghost Riders from 2008.

The theme from the first movement of Samurai was nearly identical to some of the melodic ideas presented in Machine, especially in the 3rd and 4th movements.