Why Isn't There a Competitive DCA Corps in the Tri-State(Ohio,Indi

i also agree. the market could have held finals in time, but it wasnt ready for 2006 yet

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone considered the fact that the tri state area is on the fringe of all three circuts? If Cincinnati Tradition wanted to compete against a dca corp we would have to travel the farthest to DCA east, DCA south or DCA Midwest.

Ok, I was being a good boy until I read this one...

When you open up a new circuit, you have to KNOW you're it... you're all there is. There's no local shows, and if you want to build a new circuit and be viable, you have to be prepared to eat the cost of the startup for some period of time. It takes TIME and it takes SACRIFICE and no amount of coming on here and whining in every direction but at yourself will do absolutely any good.

The funniest part of this whole conversation is the "make this one perform over here" component. Further, our biggest complainer has his head tied up in the NE alone, ignoring the fact that were that sort of thing to start, PRECISELY the same way outliers are expected to make it all the way up to Rochester for a finals competition, regular corps would be expected to travel all over the country for regular season shows. So, get your plane tickets, Cabs. You're going to California for the Renegade's show. Austin Stars! You're going to MBI's show.

This isn't a NE-only thing. Quit thinking of yourself, and consider the WHOLE of DCA.

The ONLY way you'll get corps to travel is if it's financially feasible for them to do so. The only way it will be financially feasible for them to do so will be if there is sufficient audience to have sufficient income to pay sufficient appearance fees.

The far flung shows aren't quite there yet, but some of the regional shows are starting to break even now.

Now, in the case of CV, we plan that budget out early in the season and do without more staff to get as many reads against NE corps in NE venues to have a better read of our progress.

(Unlike when I was making a similar argument a few years ago, DCI's judging of DCA corps on DCA sheets (at least in our experience) has been right on par of late...it has helped quite a bit in reducing our overall travel burden)

It sounds like those that are the most adversary to the way things are have never started a drum corps, so I'll give you a little help.

First, don't hack everyone off in the circuit. You will need the positive talk of everyone you can get. Be their friends, get their advice, and consider every bit you get carefully.

Second, even if you start with 5 guys that have pulled their horns out of the closet after 30 years inactivity. DO IT. Even if your first year or two is just a few folks getting together to play, do that.

Third, once you've got a nice little package product, go play the national anthem at a DCI-sanctioned event. I hear you have a couple big ones in your area. It's generally easy to get into that role unless you've >cough< hacked somebody important off.

Recruit, recruit, recruit. Fundraise, fundraise, fundraise. (1$ to David Stollberg, Director of CV)

You'll need every bit of recruiting and fundraising you can get. Next thing you know, you'll probably want to visit minicorps championships as a road trip. Then, as you grow you'll eventually have battery and then guard, and then wow... we have a Drum Corps!

The rate of growth ENTIRELY depends on you and your efforts. There is NO reason why Columbus couldn't support a winter line and then a brass line and then a full-blown field corps. The only thing stopping that from happening is you. Quit making excuses and blaming in every direction why something isn't happening, and DO something about it.

ok, back into hiding.

Edited by CVQuesty

When you open up a new circuit, you have to KNOW you're it... you're all there is. There's no local shows, and if you want to build a new circuit and be viable, you have to be prepared to eat the cost of the startup for some period of time. It takes TIME and it takes SACRIFICE and no amount of coming on here and whining in every direction but at yourself will do absolutely any good.

The funniest part of this whole conversation is the "make this one perform over here" component. Further, our biggest complainer has his head tied up in the NE alone, ignoring the fact that were that sort of thing to start, PRECISELY the same way outliers are expected to make it all the way up to Rochester for a finals competition, regular corps would be expected to travel all over the country for regular season shows. So, get your plane tickets, Cabs. You're going to California for the Renegade's show. Austin Stars! You're going to MBI's show.

This isn't a NE-only thing. Quit thinking of yourself, and consider the WHOLE of DCA.

The ONLY way you'll get corps to travel is if it's financially feasible for them to do so. The only way it will be financially feasible for them to do so will be if there is sufficient audience to have sufficient income to pay sufficient appearance fees.

The far flung shows aren't quite there yet, but some of the regional shows are starting to break even now.

Now, in the case of CV, we plan that budget out early in the season and do without more staff to get as many reads against NE corps in NE venues to have a better read of our progress.

(Unlike when I was making a similar argument a few years ago, DCI's judging of DCA corps on DCA sheets (at least in our experience) has been right on par of late...it has helped quite a bit in reducing our overall travel burden)

It sounds like those that are the most adversary to the way things are have never started a drum corps, so I'll give you a little help.

First, don't hack everyone off in the circuit. You will need the positive talk of everyone you can get. Be their friends, get their advice, and consider every bit you get carefully.

Second, even if you start with 5 guys that have pulled their horns out of the closet after 30 years inactivity. DO IT. Even if your first year or two is just a few folks getting together to play, do that.

Third, once you've got a nice little package product, go play the national anthem at a DCI-sanctioned event. I hear you have a couple big ones in your area. It's generally easy to get into that role unless you've >cough< hacked somebody important off.

Recruit, recruit, recruit. Fundraise, fundraise, fundraise. (1$ to David Stollberg, Director of CV)

You'll need every bit of recruiting and fundraising you can get. Next thing you know, you'll probably want to visit minicorps championships as a road trip. Then, as you grow you'll eventually have battery and then guard, and then wow... we have a Drum Corps!

The rate of growth ENTIRELY depends on you and your efforts. There is NO reason why Columbus couldn't support a winter line and then a brass line and then a full-blown field corps. The only thing stopping that from happening is you. Quit making excuses and blaming in every direction why something isn't happening, and DO something about it.

ok, back into hiding.

very good.all common sense and all statements are on the money.

ok, back into hiding.

Wow.......sounded like some anger in that statement. I was simply trying to answer in my opinion, the question raised at the begining of the thread. Why isn't there a competitive DCA corp in the Tri-State Area.

This in no way was a slam against DCA or any corp that competes in DCA.

I marched with Tradition last year.........loved it.......spent an insain about of money buying front ensemble instruments.......bought a bus to transport the instruments........put alot of time and energy into writing the front ensemble music, conducting practices, cordinating travel to both practices and performences and talked to alot of people about going down to cincinnati with me. And the biggest hurdle was.......NO ONE WANTED TO TRAVEL THE DISTANCE. It is a weekend activity and traveling 6 to 8 hours just to compete was just too hard for me to sell. So I feel that my opinion is some merrit.

As far as starting a corp........there is a DCA corp in the tri-state area and we performed in 5 DCI shows last year. So from what i have seen first hand....... its just too expensive to travel to be a Competive DCA corp from this area which is what i thought this thread was about.

Wow.......sounded like some anger in that statement. I was simply trying to answer in my opinion, the question raised at the begining of the thread. Why isn't there a competitive DCA corp in the Tri-State Area.

This in no way was a slam against DCA or any corp that competes in DCA.

I marched with Tradition last year.........loved it.......spent an insain about of money buying front ensemble instruments.......bought a bus to transport the instruments........put alot of time and energy into writing the front ensemble music, conducting practices, cordinating travel to both practices and performences and talked to alot of people about going down to cincinnati with me. And the biggest hurdle was.......NO ONE WANTED TO TRAVEL THE DISTANCE. It is a weekend activity and traveling 6 to 8 hours just to compete was just too hard for me to sell. So I feel that my opinion is some merrit.

As far as starting a corp........there is a DCA corp in the tri-state area and we performed in 5 DCI shows last year. So from what i have seen first hand....... its just too expensive to travel to be a Competive DCA corp from this area which is what i thought this thread was about.

Its always tough to travel.Its the biggest detriment to a new groups progress, the cost associated with it. Then again if a organization's membership wants to compete its necessary.Victor,no one knows better than me that you bust your butt only to have a bunch of indifferent people let you down.Usually they're the first to want the program to do more, than they are willing expend in effort. Also the marimba worked out fine,we needed it for our indoor percussion.

ok, back into hiding.

:soapbox::mad:

ok, back into hiding.

:mad:

:soapbox:

No offense Jerald - just thought it was funny..You pretty much summed up what I said with a bit more "Southern flair".

After seeing other posts and trying to analyze an area of the country I know absolute nothing about, those folks involved with Cincinnati have a very similar situation to what I see here in MN. Trying to sell an unknown commodity in an area primarily exposed to the 'other' product.

I'd love to see another DCA corps come out of that gap between Racine and Erie, but it may take the efforts of a small group of people with a plan (not to say a group of people with a ham sandwich)

and more patience and diligence than it requires for sainthood.

Pat

When I look at the DCA Schedule, it's obvious to me that if someone could make it off the ground in the Ohio area - schedule would be no problem and amount of travel would be on a par with what most DCA corps do... how long do you think it takes (or how much money) for Cru to go to Boston or Bridgeport?

Yesterday, I drove home from WGI and was reminded what a big state Ohio is, but even coming from the Dayton/Cinci area clear across the state, travel is far more "do able" than it is for one of the midwestern or southern corps...

For those in Eastern Ohio, you now have an option in nearby Erie...

But the real question is does anyone in Ohio have the "Vince Bruni" type mentality to just go out there and make it happen? It seems to me that the Columbus - Dayton - Cinci area is loaded with potential members to someone who reached out to the band/drum line/guard people...

I remember fondly, (as a kid of course) being told by Brad Longdo what great drum corps people there were in Ohio and how much he enjoyed working with them (Satan's Angels - if anyone is old enough to remember)... Ohio would be a welcome addition to the DCA "fold" and as I said before, would have the advantage of straddling the NE to the East and the Midwest to the West...

If DCK and Tradition get a solid financial base, a two-show weekend in Cincinnati and Louisville could be a decent draw for corps to drive out. Selling tickets the first time through might be tricky, but with some advertisement and group discounts for high school bands or whatever, it could maybe work out alright.

Some corps within manageable driving distance:

(driving time to Louisville from home city)

Music City Legend (~2.5 hours)

Kilties (~6 hours)

Lakeshoremen (~6 hours)

Alliance (~6.5 hours)

CorpVets (~6.5 hours)

Erie Thunder (~7 hours)

That's not a bad lineup at all, and could be a great recruitment tool for those two local corps.

So all we need now is someone to make it happen :worthy:

My wife and I where the recruiters for Cincinnati tradtion last year. We tried to recruit at local Wintergaurd shows and band competions but its not that people dont want to do it its when its comes to comittment thats when people bail on you. there where times last year when we had almost 25 horns. Then after we started learning drill thats when they realized they had to make a choice and they took the easy way out they quit. we tried so hard to get the 35 members to compete in DCA Class A last year but when you have tried everything you can think of to recruit people and there is nothing eles you can do its time to throw in the towl until the next season.

Edited by Forever_Knight