Anyone Remember?

I remember watching The Blue Stars and another corps on the PBS channel back in the early 1970's. I guess they taped two corps per episode. I just remember watching the Blue Stars though. Anyone else remember this program?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a vague memory of this PBS program. The episode that I recall featured the Blue Stars and Madison Scouts. I think it aired in '72 or 73.

"PBS & DCI":

I remember WELL watching ALL 12 Corps on PBS "Way Back When". Even when it was cut back to the "Top 6" it was a good PBS Special.

Now what have we got for drum corps on PBS? :devil: NOTHING. :devil:

Thanks very much DCI..... :thumbup:

It just gets better and better, don't it...... :thumbup:

Elphaba

It was July, 1974 when PBS broadcast that program, which was videotaped at the 1973 CYO Nationals in Boston.

The full field shows of Madison and Blue Stars were shown, along with some behind the scenes drum corps stuff, and scenes of other corps.

This was the first-ever PBS drum corps broadcast, and it was shown in virtually all the markets.

"PBS & DCI":

I remember WELL watching ALL 12 Corps on PBS "Way Back When". Even when it was cut back to the "Top 6" it was a good PBS Special.

Now what have we got for drum corps on PBS? :thumbup: NOTHING. :devil:

Thanks very much DCI.....

...fans who did not follow through on their pledges, causing PBS affiliates around the country to DROP the show, or switch it to sometime in the fall when they were not in their pledge drives.

It just gets better and better, don't it......

Elphaba

Why yes, it does. !/4 finals at the theaters and semis on the web. You are 100% correct. It does get better. :thumbup:

I feel the main reason PBS doesn't show the DCI Finals anymore is very simple...DRUM CORPS people didn't sponsor the stations they were watching.

We just wanted to see our great drum corps and the heck with the stations. I'm just as guilty of this any a lot of people.

If we would have supported PBS telecast back then, they would have no problem showing the full finals today.

Sorry folks, look in the mirror, we are the reason PBS don't show finals anymore.... :thumbup::thumbup:

...fans who did not follow through on their pledges, causing PBS affiliates around the country to DROP the show, or switch it to sometime in the fall when they were not in their pledge drives.

Depends on the area Mike, Hershey, PA dropped it when they found something that could bring in more money. And over the years the number/total amount of pledges were dropping along with the nation wide interest in Drum Corps. (According to ex-employee of the station.) Last time DCI was shown it was the 2 hour chopped up version and the station didn't even bother to spend $$$ to advertise it. Talk about lack of interest.

Plus now the local station can have pledge drives whenever they want using taped specials.

PS - There was also a one hour show about 27th Lancers which I think was during the 1975 season. Hershey showed it a few years before the DCI live broadcast. The big PBS station outta Boston produced that one.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

It was July, 1974 when PBS broadcast that program, which was videotaped at the 1973 CYO Nationals in Boston.

The full field shows of Madison and Blue Stars were shown, along with some behind the scenes drum corps stuff, and scenes of other corps.

This was the first-ever PBS drum corps broadcast, and it was shown in virtually all the markets.

Thanks for the background info on this, Brian!

I remember seeing that show on PBS back then. Yes, that makes me a dinosaur. :thumbup:

Fran