Madison Scouts Announce 2009 Program

This thread is a carbon copy of what happened in the Blue Stars show announcement thread. Scouts just happen to be the latest whipping post to announce their show.

restated for truth.

Anyways, I'm curious as to what the colorguard outfits will look like. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the show's logo on the news page, and my mental image wasn't pretty. Hopefully I'm wrong about it and they look great.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this straight:

If the Scouts were trying something completely different, everyone will complain about them straying away from their tradition and not being the Scouts.

If the Scouts do something they have had success with in the past, people will complain about them beating a dead horse.

Exactly! You understand perfectly! :smile:

Does anyone else feel the legacy of the Madison Scouts is getting more and more wrapped around their brass line?

It seems like so many of the shows they have produced recently (last 15 years or so) have been brass first and everything else second place...

If so, that's a problem??????? I think it's great.

Yeah, in the 70's.

My bad guys. I forgot in Scouts threads that if you don't think the Scouts eat coal and #### diamonds, you aren't allowed to comment. My bad.

I don't harbor any ill-will for the Scouts. I think there was a time that in which they were entertaining. I have been continually underwhelmed by them since about 2003. And this general attitude that the Scouts are above criticism is exactly what got them in competitive trouble in the first place. The "We think we're awesome so screw what everybody else thinks!" line.

I keep waiting for the Scouts to deliver. For me, they don't. If they do for you, great.

I know this post is just going to continue to get me flamed by Scouts honks, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

The thing is........nobody cares that for you, the Scouts don't deliver. But you have this need to get in everybody's face about it. Then, you can't believe it when you get a reaction. You don't like the Scouts, before you hear even one note from their 2009 show. Good for you. And thanks for your objectivity. I really care what you think.

Where are you people whining about the Blue Devils, do I have to hear Channel One Suite again, oh wait, they never use that piece over and over.

Twice in the last 24 years? Hmmm, I wouldn't characterize that as "over and over."

Or in the visual department, do I have to look at a wedge with a leg kicked out again this year? No, good. because that hasn't been done enough.

True, but I would say it's easier to fall short with re-doing a piece of music (different arrangements?) than it is with replicating a drill move. If your musical arrangement isn't up to par, or is different in any way, it tends to tick people off. Or at the very least it cranks up the comparisons and nasty arguments. If a corps decides to play something they are famous for, it better sound as close to what people remember of that piece of music, otherwise, it could get ugly.

If you re-do a drill move, like Phantom's famous wedge with the leg kick, it will more or less look exactly the same as it always has and it's over in a matter of seconds. Most people complain about re-do's in music because it just doesn't sound the same (in rare cases, the new will outshine the old). They tend to go crazy for the re-do's in drill because it looks more or less identical. That's my view on it anyway.

And also, I'm not sure why 2008 Spartacus is being put on the list as a re-do. Aside from the title of the show, the opening fanfare and the ending music after DM1 gets speared, those shows are drastically different from each other musically speaking. Not to mention the nearly complete differences visually and with the more literal story-telling approach used in 2008. And besides, we're talking about shows which took place over 25 years apart. Hardly what one would consider a tired re-tread.

Twice in the last 24 years? Hmmm, I wouldn't characterize that as "over and over."

BD and Channel One Suite: '76, '77, '86, '02. That's four. And, .... so what? If it's good it's good. Except for the snobs who are too good to be subjected to the same music twice, heaven forbid.

It could be. They used to be known for a lot more than just their great hornline. Nowadays, if thats all they got going for them, they're in trouble. We shall see.

I agree. Isn't the goal to achieve a ballance of quality throughout the whole corps? Having a great hornline won't keep you very compettitive if your drumline and colorgard, or even one of the two are a bag.

True, but I would say it's easier to fall short with re-doing a piece of music (different arrangements?) than it is with replicating a drill move. If your musical arrangement isn't up to par, or is different in any way, it tends to tick people off. Or at the very least it cranks up the comparisons and nasty arguments. If a corps decides to play something they are famous for, it better sound as close to what people remember of that piece of music, otherwise, it could get ugly.

Back in the good old days, the Dallas Morning News had a drive-in movie critic named Joe Bob Briggs. In addition to being a hoot, Joe Bob had a theory that Hollywood often misunderstood something fundamental about the audiences at movie sequels. He said they didn’t buy tickets because they expected a different movie; they paid to see the same movie a second time.

I’m not comparing drum corps fans to the crowd at the drive-in movie. But you do have to wonder whether Joe Bob’s theory applies here as well. In drum corps terms, it seems if you’re going to play Malaga, you have to play it exactly the way we enjoyed it last time.

The problem with that – putting aside the usual creativity arguments – is we never know which is our favorite until we hear it. Someone just listed the several times BD played Channel One. Good point because neither the first rendition nor the second are generally regarded as the best. It’s the third in 1986 that most of us appreciate the most. To put it another way, had BD been reluctant to risk previous success with a third try, we never might have had what we now consider the definitive version.

That’s the best reason I know why Scouts should let rip with Malaga again. I’m willing to risk hearing a version I like less than one before on the chance I might like it better. What’s the alternative, a less familiar tune we may or may not like either? Give me Bill Holman’s jazzy suite again. If I don’t love, I’m sure I’ll like it.

HH