The OFFICIAL 2009 Phantom Regiment Thread

Spartacus was a special show and always will be. There is no way Phantom can do anything this year without being compared to last years show. Lets all take a deep breath and wait to see what everyone looks and sounds like at a show before we start handing off the baton.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This phantom show is nothing less than a shock...that the defending champs...SPARTICUS champs

come back the following year with this. The show is incredibly flat.

People talking about how on fire a corps is in June...lol. I love seeing corps max it out in June. Corps licking their competitive chops. Wow...very intimidating. :thumbup: I'm sure everyone's going to have a fun show this summer. Competition is whatever it is. Opinions of a panel on a given night, and the corps control what they can control. Last year, the margin of difference was razor sharp between 1 and 2--telling the difference between the two at that level, really, is just who you liked more. And that's fine. Obviously, I think PR had such an amazing show by that point that they couldn't help but win it all. And some don't agree but frankly that doesn't count for much, does it? The fact is, other corps can beat you all season, but the show and outcome that everyone talks about is the last one. that becomes your spot in history.

So, completely different corps...different set of kids...different show. And a show that looks to me like it's still in infancy (not surprisingly, since the design team likes to work like that). So maybe lots in common with last year, where it didn't catch fire until later.

Spartacus. Let it go. It was a great show. And they need to move on and break new ground. PR doesn't need to resign itself to playing the hits to be one of the most popular corps out there. They have a gift for storytelling and communicating with the audience that is quite something in all of the activity. As I am sure it will be with this show.

I think they'll be fine! It's going to be vintage Regiment all the way, trust me. And it's a long way to August.

As a design vehicle, the Red Violin looks and sounds like drum corps from 10 years ago. I honestly cannot see how the design team laid this big of an egg after last year. Although it does seem to be a pattern with Phantom the year following a very successful show. I LOVE Regiment, but this show is a huge disappointment.

As a design vehicle, the Red Violin looks and sounds like drum corps from 10 years ago. I honestly cannot see how the design team laid this big of an egg after last year. Although it does seem to be a pattern with Phantom the year following a very successful show. I LOVE Regiment, but this show is a huge disappointment.

03 to 04?

Whew! A lot of consternation for early June. I haven't bothered to watch the video, and probably won't know anything about the show apart from an APD I may or may not download. I have the luxury (or curse, for the impatient sort) of waiting until semi-finals to see the show for myself. By then, it's going to be quite different from what's on the field today. Will it be terrific? Who knows. But judging this show as it is right now against my memories from seeing Spartacus live on finals night would be a silly thing.

If anything, I'm glad to hear that Phantom seems to have taken a different direction with their show this year from last. Yeah, some will complain because it's different, but at the same time it would be #### difficult to top Spartacus at its own game, and were the corps to try that and fall short than they'd likely have at least as many complaining regardless.

Well as we saw last year, BD always is at or near the top visually, but if corps like Phantom can hang around visually and win music and ensemble and clean up, then it might get closer than you think again.

Noticed you didn't mention drums or ensemble, as that was what truly lost the title for them last year. BD needs to get back to higher than 4th in drums and 4th in Ensemble if they truly want to win. You can only get so many perfect 20's in visual... (Still amazed how you can get 1st in brass and be that dirty in ensemble up top. I mean different captions, but come on.. )

I also seem to remember Phantom about 2 points behind BD all season until the last week and a half, so no shock that BD comes out quicker and better. Always do.. Doesn't mean squat til finals night and we know what corps also has a history of peaking at finals.... :) Just like March Madness, but August Madness! 3 seasons, each one different. June, July, August and only the last one counts. PR lives for August Madness!

Whether you like the show, love it or will hate it, if they still musically play more in time, in tune and together than the other corps, they will ALWAYS have a shot. Nowhere on a judging sheet is a descriptor called "preference." You are either a great ensemble or you are not. Music has and always will be a PR forte, and it will always keep them up there while the design team can get the story together and make the show jive storywise and effect wise. If Phantom stays around at least 3rd in visual any given year, they have had a chance to win. Go back and look in dci history and see for yourself. (89,96,06,08 to name just a few) The music will always be championship calibre with the brass and percussion staff in place for them. Crown has also followed form in recent years and look at how it has worked for them so far. It's refreshing to see.

BD would be wiser to spend a little more time in ensemble this year to avoid another disappointment like last year. Plain and simple, if you can't play in time and together, you still can't win DCI in today's activity.

Thank goodness music still matters!!

Winning brass and sucking in Ensemble is not only possible, I claim it happens to most corps at the top! What r u listening to? There are many examples of great hornlines that play together with themselves, but cannot play togther with the drumline/pit. If judges truly had the nerve to hold the high CI corps accountable for music ensemble, the turnover at the top would change a little more often. Unfortunately, the judges tend to think as you do:"Gee, this hornline is SO #### GOOD, the ensemble must be good too." It's a survival mechanism (so i don't really blame the judges, cuz it's so difficult), but let's keep it real. The reverse is used to SLAM lower CI corps with good hornlines: "Gee, the ensemble is so loose, the hornline can't be any good." That's equally bad logic, and it happens all the time. Bluecoats 2007 is a perfect example, in that they had a championship hornline, but would not get the nod as a 7th-place drum corps. It's a lot easier to go with what usually works...give it the high CI corps.

Edited by Bruckner8

Last year I didn't get to see Spartacus early on as Phantom went to California instead of coming East. But I did hear them both early and late in 06 and 07. There was a HUGE difference in both shows in every aspect.

As for the video (which has been removed from the unmentionable site), it was nice but certainly not a professional job. You couldn't tell anything about the drill.

I liked the music and think when it's refined with all the nuances it will be beautiful. It was hard to get a good read on the brass line with the mic used and my poor computer speakers. So if they sounded fairly good that way the must sound impressive live. While not a percussion guy even I could tell that they'll be challenging for another perc title. I liked most of what I was seeing in the guard. I liked the ladies in black with red trim. Liked the guys in the tuxes but not sure I liked them as well after the jackets came off but then it's hard to get a good read on the visual from that video.

I'm sure Phantom will add some pre show material that will explain better the "magic" or special quality of the violin. The show certainly doesn't try to do the entire movie which is good because I really don't think that would work. They take one sub-story from the movie. Therefore, I don't think seeing the movie is a requirement.

Looking forword to seeing the show in Allentown.

GOOD LUCK REGIMENT!!!

And now you know why these videos are pulled from the internet.

03 to 04?

4th place (barely) to 5th place? Eye of the beholder I guess.