The OFFICIAL 2009 Phantom Regiment Thread

I hate to have to agree but it is very early, looks like there is quite a bit to learn. Right now no real flow to the show or design. My early opinion would say a top 6th placement.

This needs to mature before we get a good taste of it's potential!

i dont think it will go below 5

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok....on Saturday I saw BD in person....and tonight I got to see Phantom on video.

Here are my thoughts:

BD is miles....MILES ahead of Phantom at this point.

BD's show is HOT! I've been thinking about nothing else since.

This phantom show is nothing less than a shock...that the defending champs...SPARTICUS champs

come back the following year with this. The show is incredibly flat.

now...yeah, I understand its early...and that they will be adding to the show. But so will BD, so

will the Cavies and Cadets.

I'll tell you one thing. There is also a corps down in Santa Clara that is also watching the vid and are

licking their chops. I saw them saturday and they also have an exciting and dynamic show. Their music

is moving and their drill (although not as demanding as last year...at least not yet) is fairly clean for this

time of year. Phantom's drill looks sloppy. This brings SCV and the BlueCoats into the 'top 5' discussion.

Anyway, thats my .02. I am really disappointed in that I like PR.

Cali.

Ok....on Saturday I saw BD in person....and tonight I got to see Phantom on video.

Here are my thoughts:

BD is miles....MILES ahead of Phantom at this point.

BD's show is HOT! I've been thinking about nothing else since.

This phantom show is nothing less than a shock...that the defending champs...SPARTICUS champs

come back the following year with this. The show is incredibly flat.

now...yeah, I understand its early...and that they will be adding to the show. But so will BD, so

will the Cavies and Cadets.

I'll tell you one thing. There is also a corps down in Santa Clara that is also watching the vid and are

licking their chops. I saw them saturday and they also have an exciting and dynamic show. Their music

is moving and their drill (although not as demanding as last year...at least not yet) is fairly clean for this

time of year. Phantom's drill looks sloppy. This brings SCV and the BlueCoats into the 'top 5' discussion.

Anyway, thats my .02. I am really disappointed in that I like PR.

Cali.

I can't say much in terms of BD or Santa Clara or anybody else, and I agree with you that Phantom's show is not as engaging as I would hope, but can you really tell me anything about their drill from that vid? I certainly can't.

i'm glad that everyone can make informed decisions on what was a crude, amateur video shot from the front row of the stadium.

The people who actually saw Regiment in person (like next to none of us in here!) say that they've never EVER seen them this clean and sounding as amazing as they do this early.

Let's just all wait til the people whose opinions really matter start assigning scores...then we'll see where each corps stands.

Edited by chaos001

I can't say much in terms of BD or Santa Clara or anybody else, and I agree with you that Phantom's show is not as engaging as I would hope, but can you really tell me anything about their drill from that vid? I certainly can't.

Yeah...I'll give you that. I should have said their "movement" was sloppy (IMHO). It is pretty impossible

to comment too much about the drill.

C.

People, people, people!

I was there last night.

This was the first and second time the corp ran thru the entire show in uniform.

Do you know how hard that is?????

They have been used to following the guy with the blue tshirt or that girl with the red tank top - now everyone is in white!

Its the first time under lights....it was hard for several of the members last night.

....but, I didnt hear a particular song they praticed the last few weeks....hummmmm, guess it is coming later.

First, rent the movie.

The music and listen to the music.

The crowd needs to understand the movie to understand what Phantom is doing.

Second, there is LOTS of room for inovation, improvement and change.

This is one program that can really evolve before finals - even more than Sparticus did!

ALL IN ALL, I hated the ending....even the second time around.

guess what...why should I have to do research in order to get a show?

I still have yet to see the movie Spartacus, and after seeing Phantom do 3 versions of it since 1981, I fully got it all 3 times.

i actually saw Jekyll and Hyde and Zorro AFTER I saw Crown do them...got em both the first time around.

now...there is time for change, and remember Spartacus early last year was nothing like the legend it became.

but really...how many fans are really that diehard to see a movie in order to get a show?

if you have to tell people to research it, you made it too hard to follow

Well as we saw last year, BD always is at or near the top visually, but if corps like Phantom can hang around visually and win music and ensemble and clean up, then it might get closer than you think again.

Noticed you didn't mention drums or ensemble, as that was what truly lost the title for them last year. BD needs to get back to higher than 4th in drums and 4th in Ensemble if they truly want to win. You can only get so many perfect 20's in visual... (Still amazed how you can get 1st in brass and be that dirty in ensemble up top. I mean different captions, but come on.. )

I also seem to remember Phantom about 2 points behind BD all season until the last week and a half, so no shock that BD comes out quicker and better. Always do.. Doesn't mean squat til finals night and we know what corps also has a history of peaking at finals.... :) Just like March Madness, but August Madness! 3 seasons, each one different. June, July, August and only the last one counts. PR lives for August Madness!

Whether you like the show, love it or will hate it, if they still musically play more in time, in tune and together than the other corps, they will ALWAYS have a shot. Nowhere on a judging sheet is a descriptor called "preference." You are either a great ensemble or you are not. Music has and always will be a PR forte, and it will always keep them up there while the design team can get the story together and make the show jive storywise and effect wise. If Phantom stays around at least 3rd in visual any given year, they have had a chance to win. Go back and look in dci history and see for yourself. (89,96,06,08 to name just a few) The music will always be championship calibre with the brass and percussion staff in place for them. Crown has also followed form in recent years and look at how it has worked for them so far. It's refreshing to see.

BD would be wiser to spend a little more time in ensemble this year to avoid another disappointment like last year. Plain and simple, if you can't play in time and together, you still can't win DCI in today's activity.

Thank goodness music still matters!!

Edited by trumpetcam

Still amazed how you can get 1st in brass and be that dirty in ensemble up top. I mean different captions, but come on..

this.

Doesn't mean squat til finals night and we know what corps has a history of peaking at finals....

and which one stalls out (at least 3 out of the last 4 years) :thumbup: