Best Madison Show ever

I've said this 100 times--1995 is easily my favorite Madison show and one of my three favorite shows ever. It may not have been as clean as 1st place that year, but when factoring in GE, it demolished everybody that year.

Except maybe the three corps that ended up ahead of them in GE at champs. :tongue:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person in the world that thinks the 1979 show is AWESOME !

Nope. That was IMO the best 70s Madison show of all of them, despite the puzzling placement. Theres music in that show that all but the top three corps today couldnt pulloff. Sorcerer and the Latin, Bohemian Rhapsody, Granada Smoothie, Little Boy Lost.

Boy, that's a tough question. If I had to pick one, 1980 stands out in my mind as one of my all-time favorites.

Bill L., I liked 1979, but for me, 1979 was an odd year. It seemed like most corps were in transition, stylistically, and I would include Madison in that group. It's hard for me to describe, but it seemed to me that many of the ideas were somewhat incomplete that year, and more fully realized in 1980. Also, shows seemed to have a somewhat darker tone to them that year. watching Madison now, their show strikes me that way. It just doesn't quite have the power and vibrancy I'm used to seeing/hearing from them. It was almost like everyone went through a bit of a depression in '79, then came out of it in '80. But, of course, that's just my take on it.

My picks:

1979 Hardest brass book done up til then and for the next 25 years

1981 They wuz robbed

1988 First half of that show was as unMadison as possible, second half the opposite

1995 Balls out entertainment

1999 Wasnt a JCS fan but Scouts brought me around with that show. Funny how the crowd went bonkers for the cross at the end

2008 Iguana show a groundbreaker.

I've said this 100 times--1995 is easily my favorite Madison show and one of my three favorite shows ever. It may not have been as clean as 1st place that year, but when factoring in GE, it demolished everybody that year. Nobody wanted to go on after Madison in 1995.

1995 Madison is what drum corps used to be (and should be).

I'm not intending to call you out personally, but there's a line of thought here that I find specious, and I wanted to comment on it.

Certainly you're not the first (nor will be the last) to recall a favored show and remark "they just don't make 'em like they used to anymore". But think about that last line of yours I quoted in context with the very first sentence you wrote. In your opinion, it's one of the three greatest shows of all time. So if 1995 Madison is what you think drum corps should be, then only two corps ever have been able to match that goal. If 1995 Madison is your ideal, then all but two shows in the history of the activity have fallen short. By your own admission then, with so many inferior shows littered throughout DCI's history it becomes impossible to say that 1995 Madison is what drum corps used to be.

Fact is, if the entire activity used to be as entertaining as Madison 1995, then there wouldn't be such a consensus regarding its appeal, and it would be just another fourth place show. The very fact that the show stands out from the crowd is because Madison 1995 is truly exceptional in its appeal. It's an exception, and not the rule.

It seems like an obvious thing to say, but we remember memorable shows. The flip side to that is that we forget shows that aren't memorable. I think this is why many of us tend to view the past with rose-colored glasses. If we had to sit down and watch every single show from 1995, I have no doubt we'd find about the same number of stinkers as we found in 2008. And fifteen years from now, I also have no doubt that we'll have DCP members gushing about Phantom 2008, saying "they just don't make shows like that anymore".

I'm not intending to call you out personally, but there's a line of thought here that I find specious, and I wanted to comment on it.

Certainly you're not the first (nor will be the last) to recall a favored show and remark "they just don't make 'em like they used to anymore". But think about that last line of yours I quoted in context with the very first sentence you wrote. In your opinion, it's one of the three greatest shows of all time.

No. I said it is one of my three favorite shows. It certainly isn't one of the "three greatest shows of all time" (your quote, not mine). The difference is subtle, but there.

So if 1995 Madison is what you think drum corps should be, then only two corps ever have been able to match that goal. If 1995 Madison is your ideal, then all but two shows in the history of the activity have fallen short. By your own admission then, with so many inferior shows littered throughout DCI's history it becomes impossible to say that 1995 Madison is what drum corps used to be.

No, I would say that 1995 Madison stands on a pedestal with other great shows. Perhaps I have made that show better in my mind over time, but in comparison to shows from the 90s, it is my favorite. That doesn't make it the best by judging standards, execution, etc.--its just that as a matter of personal taste, I enjoy it more.

Fact is, if the entire activity used to be as entertaining as Madison 1995, then there wouldn't be such a consensus regarding its appeal, and it would be just another fourth place show. The very fact that the show stands out from the crowd is because Madison 1995 is truly exceptional in its appeal. It's an exception, and not the rule.

Yes. That's what makes it exceptional.

It seems like an obvious thing to say, but we remember memorable shows. The flip side to that is that we forget shows that aren't memorable. I think this is why many of us tend to view the past with rose-colored glasses.

Agreed.

If we had to sit down and watch every single show from 1995, I have no doubt we'd find about the same number of stinkers as we found in 2008. And fifteen years from now, I also have no doubt that we'll have DCP members gushing about Phantom 2008, saying "they just don't make shows like that anymore".

Agreed--except I liked BD more (in 2008).

Activate: HEAVY SARCASM WARNING

... and it would be just another fourth place show ...

Yeah, like these forgettable fourth place efforts that nobody talks about anymore:

2008 Crown

2006 Bluecoats

2004 Phantom

2001 SCV

2000 SCV

1993 BD

1992 BD

1991 SCV

1989 BD

1988 Cadets

1980 Spirit

De-Activate: HEAVY SARCASM WARNING

Activate: HEAVY SARCASM WARNING

Yeah, like these forgettable fourth place efforts that nobody talks about anymore:

2008 Crown

2006 Bluecoats

2004 Phantom

2001 SCV

2000 SCV

1993 BD

1992 BD

1991 SCV

1989 BD

1988 Cadets

1980 Spirit

De-Activate: HEAVY SARCASM WARNING