Will the colts be this years bluestars?

Word is the colts are having a great offseason, but will they have enough to not only get back in finals but scare a lot of other corps doing it. I guess what I'm saying is will they squeak into finals, will they have a door breaking season and make finals comfortably, or will they be on the outside looking in again. Thoughts?

The Colts had a great offseason in 2008 as well..... Came out of the gates hot!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Colts will ever be "this year's Blue Stars". And its really not the kids' fault. There are some super talented kids there, but there are flaws within that organization that will not allow them to make that push. And its too bad too, because that Corps should have been "this year's Blue Stars" a long time ago.

I would also like to know what these "flaws" would be.

They have too much melody and basically put on absolutely phenomenal marching band shows.

Too much melody? Hmmm....

I not defending this past years Colts...or any others, even though I was around for a couple recent years...

I get worried about the educational validity of the activity when I see a comment about too much melody.

Rhythm- Melody- Harmony- Texture- These are the 4 elements of music. I worry that organized sound effects has replaced actual literature.

I am old...

Too much melody? Hmmm....

I not defending this past years Colts...or any others, even though I was around for a couple recent years...

I get worried about the educational validity of the activity when I see a comment about too much melody.

Rhythm- Melody- Harmony- Texture- These are the 4 elements of music. I worry that organized sound effects has replaced actual literature.

I am old...

I should have written that clearer. What I meant is, too much melody for the current drum corps idiom. With the exception of "catchy" pieces, most corps, and then their fans, and then the judges all seem to be gravitating more towards the other three, with bits of melody scattered throughout. This is not a bash on Colts at all. It's more a note that how Colts' shows are written are not written like the other drum corps shows out there, and while I appreciate originality, it seems like judges would rather see them staying closer to the recently approved formula.

You have the right to your wrong opinion :worthy: .

Blue Stars were not 10th all season. They started out in the same spot they did in 2007, then gradually progressed up to the 10 spot.

They started out in the same spot they did in 2007

As just about every corps does. The first week or two of the season, the placements are almost always the same as finals the year before. Then over the course of the season then corps start moving around placement-wise until where they end up at the end of the season. The first week or two of the season, I think, at least, are not truly that indicative of a corps. The beginning of the season is all based on past knowledge and judgments, prejudices, from the previous season.

As just about every corps does. The first week or two of the season, the placements are almost always the same as finals the year before. Then over the course of the season then corps start moving around placement-wise until where they end up at the end of the season. The first week or two of the season, I think, at least, are not truly that indicative of a corps. The beginning of the season is all based on past knowledge and judgments, prejudices, from the previous season.

I think that just about sums it up. The first meeting in 08 Blue Stars scored about 2 pts behind Colts, almost the exact spread from the end of 07. Within a few shows the judges started to realize the Blue Stars were putting a superior product on the field and the placements flip flopped and the Colts didn't touch them the rest of the season. Somthing to consider though, since 93 Colts have spent more time in the top 12 than out I believe, and havn't gone more than a couple years between Saturday night lights. They'll be back in, who knows at this point if it will be this year or not.