Alternates

I've seen it happen many times where a hole opens up, and the staff calls someone in, instead of using an alternate. To me the whole alternate thing is flawed. If they're not good enough to be in the show in April, what makes you think that they will be able to learn the show and be at the same level as people who were good enough in April, and have been working on it for half a summer?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was offered an alternate spot at my "dream corps" which was a top 4 corps at that time, and I turned it down to march with a "lower tier" group. That was the best decision of my drum corps career. I could never leave the corps I am with now, so my point is basically don't be an alternate. Go MARCH! After a year of experience actually in a show, you will be much more prepared for any audition in the future.

Edited by mellbloo

I've seen it happen many times where a hole opens up, and the staff calls someone in, instead of using an alternate. To me the whole alternate thing is flawed. If they're not good enough to be in the show in April, what makes you think that they will be able to learn the show and be at the same level as people who were good enough in April, and have been working on it for half a summer?

Agreed. Its not like its 2 people sharing the same spot so that someone can jump in if the other is out. If someone drops, the alternate would have to learn a new hole very quickly... and if theyre good enough to do that, they'd probably have deserved a spot in may.

I've seen this happen at various places too, I'm fine with it as long as the alternate is given a clear assessment of their abilities and chances of being in the show upfront. If they still want to try and stick it out at that point, thats fine. I'm not fine with someone being told that if somone gets injured, theyll be in, and the corps then not putting them in or going out and finding someone else to march the spot.

Alternates=fail

If you are offered an alternate spot at a corps, screw that. Go actually march somewhere. It will be wayyyy more valuable to you to go actually march at Pioneer or Cascades all summer than to hold down an alternate spot at Phantom Regiment.

ps- not calling out Regiment in any way. just using them as an example.

I totally agree ! Why waste your time sitting around when you could be doing something constructive like using your God given talent to improve yourself by marching in a corps that really needs your expertice and enthusiasum when it comes right down to it I believe that some of these bigger corps could really give a hoot about you so please don't waste your young life on a unsure future go with something that is a forsure gaurantee Pioneer and Capital Regiment , Seattle Cascades are three of the corps that come to mind . Who knows you might just want to stay there ?

I totally agree ! Why waste your time sitting around when you could be doing something constructive like using your God given talent to improve yourself by marching in a corps that really needs your expertice and enthusiasum when it comes right down to it I believe that some of these bigger corps could really give a hoot about you so please don't waste your young life on a unsure future go with something that is a forsure gaurantee Pioneer and Capital Regiment , Seattle Cascades are three of the corps that come to mind . Who knows you might just want to stay there ?

On the other hand, who are we to tell someone else how they should spend their time and $$$?

Personally I agree with your comment, but I'm sure there are others who do not, and that is their business. To them, being a alternate in DCI-finalist-corps-X, their dream corps, is better than marching in one of the three you mentioned.

I like the idea of alternates if the corps actually plans to use them. Last season my cousin and I were both offered mello alternate positions and took them, eve though we were a bit disappointed. We both wound up filling holes in the beginning of All days, but unfortunately I got a fracture a week and a half later. I guess I was just not meant to march, but I became a sidefield conductor and had the most amazing summer ever. This would not have ben possible if I were never offered an alternate position. To a few other posts, yeah if a corps isnt planning on using the alternate then they should probably pick somewhere else to march because they will probably wind up loving that corps and their new family. Either way, do drum corps lol.

My friend tried out at a Finalist corps last year, got offered an 'alternate spot' (after being almost promised a spot-long story), instead came back and marched Cru again. Tried out this year and made it.

The first year I auditioned for drum corps I was offered an alternate spot in April, and while I was pretty crushed since I'd devoted so much energy toward this particular corps, I turned it down pretty much on the spot. My thought process was that one of two things will happen if I commit to it:

1) I don't put on the uniform the entire summer.

2) I get to march, but that means someone I will have grown very close to in my section gets hurt.

Some corps are pretty good about being transparent in the audition process about who doesn't have a spot/who will be an alternate and if they will get into the show if someone goes down, but some aren't.

They use to make them march out in uniform and stand in the end zone watching the corps, have not seen that for years

That must have been awful

I have seen some corps have people in uniform on the front sidelines in the last few years, at least at the bigger shows (Saturdays/finals week)