Best Colorguards

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bd 08. they were so in sync. plus a perfect score from the guard judge doesn't hurt :smile:

BD has never received a perfect color guard score. The only one in history was to the 2002 Cavaliers from a Cavalier alumnus judge. They weren't even the best on that night.

Some worth seeing if you have the recordings:

Cadets 1991, 1994, 1996. Three as close to flawless as there is.

Cavies 2007: I don't like their style, but this guard was amazing.

Best SECOND place guards: BD 2002; Cadets 1990, 1992, 1997, 2003; Spirit of Atlanta 1986; Star of Indy 1993

1980 27th Lancers.

:smile:

Amen and Amen.

Cadets 1996 - HANDS DOWN, one of the best guards EVER

Cadets 2005 - Just perfect work (but I don't know much about guards so you can take that with grain of salt)

Cavies 2006 - Performed the hell out of that show

Wow, I can't believe that out of all the BD guards that have been mentioned, none of you have listed the guard from BD 2001. I could run down a laundry list of things that make them the best, but I'll just say, that when your rifles, sabres, flags, and dance are all BA, and you really have no weak spots, and you score in the stratosphere all season long, you should be considered one of the best. Cadets that year were not close in guard.

Also check out:

Vanguard 2004

Glassmen 1998

BD 1996

Wow, I can't believe that out of all the BD guards that have been mentioned, none of you have listed the guard from BD 2001. I could run down a laundry list of things that make them the best, but I'll just say, that when your rifles, sabres, flags, and dance are all BA, and you really have no weak spots, and you score in the stratosphere all season long, you should be considered one of the best.

You beat me to it. I loved BD guard in 2001...one of my all time favorites.

Cadets 2005 is on my list

Maybe not technically the best (I am not a guard person, so take it for what it is worth) but I love the Regiment guards of the 1990'ish timeframe.

Late 70's - early 80's 27th Lancers is a 'given' to me, for their era.

The official DCI "High Color Guard" trophy was first given in 1975 - to the 27th Lancers. Their innovation was the double silks used during the concert of Celebrate - and again in Danny Boy.

In 1976, the rifle lay on the backs to spin in concert.

In 1977, they guard was just a notch better.

In 1979 they were superb, and won the top guard trophy in 1980. By mid-season in 1981, the guard was every bit the equal of 1980's.

Most people here are too young to know the contributions that guard made to the activity.

Yup. Two-Seven's guard moved the activity light years ahead of where it had been, in terms of both style and execution. There are many, many great guards that I've loved over the years, but 27th Lancers' 1980 guard set a standard that few have been able to achieve (but many of us tried to imitate). That guard was one of the few with that fine a rifle line where I didn't find my eyes fixed solely on the rifles throughout the entire show. The flag line was so incredible that I really was torn who to watch. One of the great benchmark guards of all time!

Edited by byline

1993 Star - one of the most amazing and musical flag books ever put on the field

1986 - Spirit of Atlanta - ahead of their time in body / movement / equipment work

1999 Cadets - for the velocity alone

2008 Crown (of course)

1982 Blue Devils - another guard ahead of its time

1983 Cadets - simply amazing

2000 Cavaliers - The Niagara Falls show

2000 Vanguard - an amazing book and great execution that year

1996 Phantom - just for the flag line alone!

Later,

Mike