• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The Cadets will celebrate the musical thrill and excitement of the classic Bernstein selections while also exploring, in non literal fashion, the conflict that was part of Mr. Bernstein’s life, as well as his orchestrations. From his relationships, to his marriage and throughout his career, Leonard Bernstein struggled with the choices he made. And of course, West Side Story, an avant-garde production first staged in the late 1950s used as its base - the conflict of immigrant Puerto Ricans and teenagers from the West Side of New York.

Color me underwhelmed with the bold part.

My understanding of Bernstein's marital conflict is he considered himself bisexual, if not gay in his later years. Not trying to get in a cultural debate, but WGI has had enough of that in recent years. I hope the Cadets don't attempt to portray the "conflict that was part of Mr Bernstein's..... relationships" and simply let the music speak for itself.

Off soapbox.

Edited by wolfgang

My understanding of Bernstein's marital conflict is he considered himself bisexual, if not gay in his later years. Not trying to get in a cultural debate, but WGI has had enough of that in recent years. I hope the Cadets don't attempt to portray the "conflict that was part of Mr Bernstein's..... relationships" and simply let the music speak for itself.

Off soapbox.

i disagree. if it's some HOT man-on-man action, i'm all for it. hell, i might even buy a t-shirt! :grouphug:

cant wait havent been disappointed with previous years when everyone has been against it.

Off soapbox.

i met bernstein in his later years, and i'm aquainted with a couple of his close...ummmm...pals....and i gotta tell you, he was a big old queen, and not at all conflicted as far as i know. as a sideline to this supposed conflict i understand he composed, conducted, performed, and educated, none of which will get you into a left wing gay marriage diatribe.

oh, "lenny" was dating a woodwind session player when he scored wss, which is why on broadway the upper reed guy plays 12 different instruments. union rules: you get full pay each night for each instrument you perform on, as a way to keep producers from cutting parts and making the pit guys turn into one man bands. true story, i got it from the guy who inherited the job after bernstein and his boyfriend had a nasty breakup. he said he was walking into music stores buying brand new horns and wearing custom silk suits for a year on that one.

unless you have Natalie Wood and Rita Moreno, dont sing I have a love. strong musical selections.

Off soapbox.

Ok, my senility would not let me put into words what you have.

Thank you

i disagree. if it's some HOT man-on-man action, i'm all for it. hell, i might even buy a t-shirt! :grouphug:

You must have loved Don A.

Yeah, Wood didn't sing anything, and Moreno only actually sang a teeny tiny portion of the part (not I Have a Love).

I'd be happy with no singing at all, and I want to really hear a treatment of the last 2 minutes of the musical.