Well, their program last year certainly didn't do that for me!

coffee talk at shady pines retirement village wasn't a good show?!? :grouphug:

but in all seriousness, that ending was pretty bad ###. now if they'd have only done the whole show that way...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless you have Natalie Wood and Rita Moreno, dont sing I have a love. strong musical selections.

Silly Rabbit....Natalie Wood didn't sing at all in WSS. She was just a pretty face. Marnie Nixon dubbed all of her singing parts.

Color me underwhelmed with the bold part.

My understanding of Bernstein's marital conflict is he considered himself bisexual, if not gay in his later years. Not trying to get in a cultural debate, but WGI has had enough of that in recent years. I hope the Cadets don't attempt to portray the "conflict that was part of Mr Bernstein's..... relationships" and simply let the music speak for itself.

Off soapbox.

wolfgang... DUDE... chill. Seriously. You didn't seem to notice this bolded part:

"The Cadets will celebrate the musical thrill and excitement of the classic Bernstein selections while also exploring, in non literal fashion, the conflict that was part of Mr. Bernstein's life, as well as his orchestrations. From his relationships, to his marriage and throughout his career, Leonard Bernstein struggled with the choices he made. And of course, West Side Story, an avant-garde production first staged in the late 1950s used as its base - the conflict of immigrant Puerto Ricans and teenagers from the West Side of New York."

You've been around long enough to know that these show descriptions are often filled with puffy prose and concepts you never see acted out on the field, right? At least wait until you see the show once to decide if there's a basis for your concern. I'm almost sure you're reacting to the wording of the show description more than what you're going to see on the field.

Everybody deals with conflict. Hop and the Cadets have had their share lately.

WSS as a drum corps item is well over for me, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of kids who haven't experienced it yet who'll think it's great.

As far as Bernstein's personal life goes, please, it's marching band. Don't embarrass yourselves by trying to be deep.

WSS as a drum corps item is well over for me, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of kids who haven't experienced it yet who'll think it's great.

As far as Bernstein's personal life goes, please, it's marching band. Don't embarrass yourselves by trying to be deep.

Please refer to Peel Paint's comments, particulary the bolded portion. This should save you guys a lot of stress since the season hasn't started yet.

A marching band saying that they'll approach questions regarding Bernstein's personal psyche - even in a "non-literal" sense - is inherently pretentious, imho.

Edited by mobrien

A marching band saying that they'll approach questions regarding Bernstein's personal psyche - even in a "non-literal" sense - is inherently pretentious, imho.

Let's hope the show doesn't turn out the way you think it will.

Let's hope the show doesn't turn out the way you think it will.

I absolutely hope so too, but after the last couple seasons, you can understand why some of us see red flags when Hop decides to go deep.

As far as Bernstein's personal life goes, please, it's marching band drum corps. Don't embarrass yourselves by trying to be deep.

Fixed- even if it IS Cadets we're talking about :grouphug: