Official GLASSMEN 2009 Thread

It should be 11 or 12...that's where they tend to place.

very consistently. four years in a row, in fact.

actually there were a few problems with announcers last season- accidentally announcing the Gmen in 11th even if they weren't, or things like ".. and in Glassmen place... the Glassmen!"

jokes aside: they'll announce it when they feel like it. BH is probably just waiting on someone to do a really snazzy logo :p In all seriousness however, I do feel like Gmen are pretty terrible at self-promotion. They have no 'viral' clips when they easily could, they have a website that is among the least interactive and least updated in world class,no camp reports, no staff interviews, nobody even knows what color drums they'll be playing this year - and the drum guys certainly seem to be on top of these sort of things :p , etc. I'm pretty sure they've managed to completely swap out visual staff without so much as a peep. They've managed to botch the sure-fire hype-builder of show announcement by holding it off so long that the only hype they're getting is confusion as to why they aren't getting hype. XD I mean, come on- the 'corpstore' has been down since SEPTEMBER, for crying out loud- "The GLASSMEN plan to unveil the new corps store and the special offers around the first of next month. Keep watching for this exciting update!" I've been watching for over SIX MONTHS with no update. One can only hope the brainpower they apparently aren't putting into promotions is acting behind the scenes or hard at work in other areas.

There isn't any requirement to disclose this sort of information (with an exception for sponsors/donors - that's just common courtesy), and if you do tell some people they don't have to tell anyone else (also common courtesy). However, the nature of this activity is such that if you don't provide any appetizers for the fans to latch onto you won't have any fans to speculate on how tasty the main course is. I get the feeling that Crown or BD or Cadets have to make announcements about their every move - new shoe polisher hired! Apostrophe added to show title! - is because if they didn't their rabid fanbase would figure it out eventually, and there's a greater and more immediate impact to be had if the corps proper spills the beans.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the power of one

begins with believing

it starts in the heart then flows through the soul

and changes the world

Edited by dugg

Man am I lovein this ! As far as I'm concerned by Brian not announcing the show it has

brought more interest to the corp which is GREAT ! :tongue:

I totally disagree.

i don't really care for the stlye of the GLASSMEN and now like them even less.

my souvie $$ now go elsewhere.

good job.

LL

I totally disagree.

good job.

LL

I've been watching your posts for quite sometime and I'm not surprised that you'ld make a

comment like this since it seems like you never really liked our corps I really hope that you change

your mind after you see this years production . Anyway stop by the souvie booth and just say hi we

don't expect you to buy anything just say hi !

The question is, if the Glassmen do not offer a high-brow, pretentious, blow hard review by the time the season starts....how will ANYONE be able to tell what they are playing??? Unless of course you possess a music ed degree from one of 'dem state universities...

I totally disagree.

good job.

LL

darn. I'm sure they'll miss your very important 15 dollars.

very consistently. four years in a row, in fact.

actually there were a few problems with announcers last season- accidentally announcing the Gmen in 11th even if they weren't, or things like ".. and in Glassmen place... the Glassmen!"

jokes aside: they'll announce it when they feel like it. BH is probably just waiting on someone to do a really snazzy logo :p In all seriousness however, I do feel like Gmen are pretty terrible at self-promotion. They have no 'viral' clips when they easily could, they have a website that is among the least interactive and least updated in world class,no camp reports, no staff interviews, nobody even knows what color drums they'll be playing this year - and the drum guys certainly seem to be on top of these sort of things :p , etc. I'm pretty sure they've managed to completely swap out visual staff without so much as a peep. They've managed to botch the sure-fire hype-builder of show announcement by holding it off so long that the only hype they're getting is confusion as to why they aren't getting hype. XD I mean, come on- the 'corpstore' has been down since SEPTEMBER, for crying out loud- "The GLASSMEN plan to unveil the new corps store and the special offers around the first of next month. Keep watching for this exciting update!" I've been watching for over SIX MONTHS with no update. One can only hope the brainpower they apparently aren't putting into promotions is acting behind the scenes or hard at work in other areas.

There isn't any requirement to disclose this sort of information (with an exception for sponsors/donors - that's just common courtesy), and if you do tell some people they don't have to tell anyone else (also common courtesy). However, the nature of this activity is such that if you don't provide any appetizers for the fans to latch onto you won't have any fans to speculate on how tasty the main course is. I get the feeling that Crown or BD or Cadets have to make announcements about their every move - new shoe polisher hired! Apostrophe added to show title! - is because if they didn't their rabid fanbase would figure it out eventually, and there's a greater and more immediate impact to be had if the corps proper spills the beans.

Yes, I am a Glassmen Family Member. And I know sometimes it seems I am a Homer. You just don't know. For those that do know Please let me say this. I have NO issue with the Glassmen Org. as a whole. If I said this once, I said this a thousand times; My brother and I to this day, feel, I mean know, that the Glassmen saved us back in 74. We owe the Glassmen a lot. As a matter of fact in about a month or so I will start donating money again. I am going to do the United Way offer. And other things.

Louielouie- I am sorry you feel that way. Even if one does not buy a key ring it does in a way affect the Glassmen's bottom line. I would hope that after reading what I have to say, I hope you would rethink your choice. If not, I am sure I speak for some Glassmen Alum when I say THANK YOU for your support of the Glassmen in the past.

I would like to talk about the "Glassmen Image" for a minute. So, what is the Glassmen image? It all depends on who you ask. If one was to ask me, here is what I would say. That we are a Family first, Blue Collar, Community centered Drum and Bugle Corps. To me the move back to Maumee was a great move. Maumee is the epicenter of the Glassmen. Part of the Glassmen's image over the year's has been NOT to walk lock-step in what is the current fad at time in this Activity. I happen to feel that the Glassmen not announcing their Show like other Corps have done,is just part of what we have been doing since 1961. Which is doing our own thing. Before anyone says anything. I may know the way Brian voted on rules the last couple of years. And being pluged in. :tongue: We were one of the last if not the last Corps that was unplugged. There is a CD out there of that year that is called Unplugged.

As far as the Glassmen image on the field. I will say this. It is what ever the current members want it to be. The Glassmen have never been afraid to try something new that is different from there current image on the field, what ever that is. Because we do not have a set in stone image as other Corps have. I feel this gives the Glassmen more freedom to do what we have been doing for many years. Which is doing our own thing. And what ever happens, happens.

11th-12th placement- As of today there are more Glassmen Alum who have never marched in a World Class DCI Finals then have. Placement has been talked about within the Glassmen Family. Some will agree when I say Yes it would be nice to move up, but no matter what the placement is 5th or 15th the Glassmen Alum will always have their backs. No matter what, what matters most is that every single Glassmen Family member has an Experience of a Lifetime.

I agree 100% about the web site. There is indeed a need for improvement in this area. If they need some help in that area I have not heard. Lack of communication is never good. Issue. :crazy: If one of the issues is to much to do and not enough people. Then let the Alum know on Facebook and on the Glassmen web site. Maybe, just maybe an Alum or two may donate their time to help in the communication area. It never hurts to ask.

It is clear to me that most if not all Glassmen Alum who have posted on this thread has no issue with the Glassmen not announcing their Show yet. To me this is just part of what the Glassmen are all about. I respect those who disagree with the Glassmen not announcing yet. All I ask is that you please respect the fact that going against the norm from time to time is in the Glassmen's blood. Going against the norm is very much apart of 48 years of Proud Glassmen History. The 09 Glassmen Family members will with out question add another page or two to the Glassmen Family History Book. They have all ready started. More power to them.

I should not have to say this but here it goes anyways. In no way shape or form do I speak for the Glassmen Org. and the GAFA. These are my thoughts and feelings only.

Dean

The question is, if the Glassmen do not offer a high-brow, pretentious, blow hard review by the time the season starts....how will ANYONE be able to tell what they are playing??? Unless of course you possess a music ed degree from one of 'dem state universities...

Yeah, because I needed a music ed degree to understand Pee Wee's Big Adventure last year...

Yeah, because I needed a music ed degree to understand Pee Wee's Big Adventure last year...

lolz :tongue: