biparadoxial diaphragmatic paralysis

well, theres one silver lining: because of drum corps your 50% is a civilians 80-85%. keep doing your breathing exercises and keep the faith, brother. as much as this sounds like something that really sucks it also sounds like something you can be stronger than, if you keep working on it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1> Condolences, we often take for granted our physicality.

B> My pop was a physician and I grew up thinking chiropractors were quacks. I had a muscle issue from bike riding, couldn't move without pain, saw a chiro and have been seeing them ever since.

Per what John Z said:

The diaphragm is controlled by the Phrenic nerves which are rooted on both sides from the C3-5 (neck) spinal area
I wonder if an adjustment might help.

Tough break, good luck with that, you need to figure something out though, taking that many pain pills will take its own toll. I recommend seeing another doctor or 2 or 3 or 4 - til you find one that will work with you on getting it better

Best of luck to you too puppet

ditto on taking care of yourself Jared. Hopefully he has given you some indication of how to improve your situation.

I am not a doctor, but -

I've seen this before, mostly on traumatic patients and especially on ones who have taken a strike either to the chest or the neck. The diaphragm is controlled by the Phrenic nerves which are rooted on both sides from the C3-5 (neck) spinal area - you indicate that you woke up with pain in the upper shoulder right side, and your paralysis is affecting the right side diaphragm. that could be significant, might indicate a localized problem with the root stem on that side only, and could hopefully indicate that this is a temporary situation. the pain could be from irritating the nerve (likely treatable), or it could be that your upper lung is working extra hard, also causing the discomfort.

I'd be curious to hear how you are doing with this. Remember, there is a reason they call it 'practicing' medicine....

I wondered the same--the phrenic nerve passes between the middle and anterior scalene muscles; if your exercise has somehow caused inflammation or injury to that area, maybe it could be pinching off the nerve? (Wild conjecture, there.) I know that I've had trouble before with numbness in my pinky finger caused by sleeping on my side, which then irritated the ulnar nerve. Once I quit the habit it went back to normal.

I concur Doctor. :laughing:

Jared, at this point I wonder if you shouldn't ask your doctor for a neurology consult referral. wouldn't hurt, and you might get a more positive/definitive answer to your long term health.

I concur Doctor. :tongue:

Jared, at this point I wonder if you shouldn't ask your doctor for a neurology consult referral. wouldn't hurt, and you might get a more positive/definitive answer to your long term health.

LOL, I've got three long years to go before you get to call me that. :laughing: One day...

nah, get used to it now.....I have faith!

Hey, bud, our prayers are with ya. Hang in there.

I would concur with what others here have said, get a second opinion. It's not a knock on your Doc, but it would be very foolish to lay all your eggs in one basket. Google to find out if there is a doctor or researcher that specializes in this...

Hey, bud, our prayers are with ya. Hang in there.

I would concur with what others here have said, get a second opinion. It's not a knock on your Doc, but it would be very foolish to lay all your eggs in one basket. Google to find out if there is a doctor or researcher that specializes in this...

Second the second opinion, especially when it's an area that's specialized or has new info/treatments coming out. My wife has a seizure disorder and her local neurologist wasn't that up on the newest stuff, so my wifes health suffered. We ended up (in deperation) going to Johns Hopkins (80 miles) and lucked out as he knew of newer meds that might help. Took some experimenting on my wifes part but now she feel like she has more control on her life.

Thanks for the support everyone. Like I said before, I posted all that on the Scouts' forum when it first happened in February. It doesn't hurt much anymore, so I'm off painkillers, but I still don't have my usual lung capacity. I think I'll get a second opinion if it still not getting better after my check-up in June. And now to reply to some of you (sorry, I don't know how to get the reply box several times in one post):

Ohiobando- Yeah I just aged-out at Madison last summer, luckily. No way could I handle drum corps like this. I can't even run 200 yards now cause my lungs won't fill with air quick enough.

Puppet- 58 and still playing? Geez, I could barely do it before I got all janky! Good luck with your recovery as well.

JohnZ- Thanks for the info, man. I'll definitely ask the doc about the C3-5 area. He did say last time that I prolly severed my phrenic nerve.