Corporate sponsored sr corps?

You are correct on Steel City, Jim. SCA had the Wendy's Corporate sponsorship for at least two years, maybe three by my recollection.

FWIW, I hesitated to post that here earlier because I wasn't sure if we were talking about exclusive sponsorships which was evident by the corps' name, or "significant" sponsorships.

I wasn't sure either John, but since I was being over "chatty" thought I would throw that out. Too good of a connection (fast food and Drum Corps) to forget. :tongue:

And question to the resident mid-Westerner (HornsUp). Which is the better brew Schmidts or Hamms? I always get Schmidts confused with Schlitz. Still remember the motto: "Schlitz.. the beer that makes the people of Philadelphia boo Santa Claus". :doh::crazy:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tom saves me from digging in my CD collection. Somewhere I have a few minutes of a show from late 40s/early 50s (can't remember) of Edison (maybe).... Only reason why I remembered the name (kinda). I DO remember you can barely hear the announcer say "... Lamplighters" and they played "Whistle While You Work" from Disneys' Snow White which would be apt for a corporate corps.

Dug up the CD and have two tracks marked 49 Lamplighters and 47 Lamplighters. Both sound like studio recordings as the sound level stays about the same the whole time.

1949 has a spoken intro "Now Lamplighters.... Post of the American Legion ...w York City" (... can't be heard over the static). 1947 doesn't have an intro but both tracks have the same version of "This is My Country" (sounds like).

Did some quick checking and can't find a Lamplighters from NYC. Ray, do you know if that was the Con Edison corps? Might as well ask since Jim N started this thread.

Edit: Found this in corps reps for Commonwealth Edison - NYC

"The Consolidated Edison Lamplighters of American Legion Post 1174 of NYC was a senior drum corps, formed in 1948 by Lenny Hartmann.

The corps began competition under the direction of Hy Drietzer.

The corps had ceased to exist by 1951."

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

. Ray, do you know if that was the Con Edison corps? Might as well ask since Jim N started this thread.

Edit: Found this in corps reps for Commonwealth Edison - NYC

"The Consolidated Edison Lamplighters of American Legion Post 1174 of NYC was a senior drum corps, formed in 1948 by Lenny Hartmann.

The corps began competition under the direction of Hy Drietzer.

The corps had ceased to exist by 1951."

Jim,

I guess the question is answered!

Ray

Jim,

I guess the question is answered!

Ray

LOL, works for me thanks.....

Gad, was I tired when I cut and pasted this in yesterday. I didn't even SEE the word "Lamplighters" when I posted. :smile: Oh well, at least I have proof it was a rough day.... :ph34r: (Note to self: no posting when taking a "brain break" from debugging a database problem....)

Hope to see you at Rochester....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

LOL, works for me thanks.....

Gad, was I tired when I cut and pasted this in yesterday. I didn't even SEE the word "Lamplighters" when I posted. :tongue: Oh well, at least I have proof it was a rough day.... :laughing: (Note to self: no posting when taking a "brain break" from debugging a database problem....)

Hope to see you at Rochester....

I'll be there. We're staying at the Clarion.

Ray

just so they find you Ray... The clarion no longer exists... it's now the Radisson Riverside

The junior corps from LINY that was sponsored by 7 Up were the Babylon Islanders. They competed in the LI circuit, in the mid to late sixties, against my brother's corps, the OLC Ramblers. The Islanders had green cadet uniforms with orange and white trim, which makes sense when you think of a 7 Up bottle or can. They were pretty good, but the Ramblers took the LI circuit championship in 1968.

John Gough

Bushwackers 1981-86

Bushwackers Alumni 1987 & beyond

The junior corps from LINY that was sponsored by 7 Up were the Babylon Islanders. They competed in the LI circuit, in the mid to late sixties, against my brother's corps, the OLC Ramblers. The Islanders had green cadet uniforms with orange and white trim, which makes sense when you think of a 7 Up bottle or can.

Grreen jackets AND pants. I think they had a 7-Up patch on their jacket shoulder as well.

I wasn't sure either John, but since I was being over "chatty" thought I would throw that out. Too good of a connection (fast food and Drum Corps) to forget. :thumbup:

And question to the resident mid-Westerner (HornsUp). Which is the better brew Schmidts or Hamms? I always get Schmidts confused with Schlitz. Still remember the motto: "Schlitz.. the beer that makes the people of Philadelphia boo Santa Claus". :devil::tongue:

:devil:

Hey Jim!

In case you weren't aware of it, the Schmidt Indians were NOT sponsored by the Schmidt's you might be thinking of..Our version did not have the "'s" at the end of the name..They were one of the local breweries from St. Paul on the "West End" of the city. Hamm's was from the East Side. Both buildings are now empty but still standing. Until just a few months ago, there was an ethanol plant on the Schmidt site, but has since ceased because of complaints from the neighborhood about the smell... :devil:

The Schmidt's you might be thinking of is the beer from Philly. The one that sponsored the drum corps is currently being brewed by Pabst in Milwaukee..They were sold to G. Heileman of La Crosse ( Old Style, Special Export, Blatz) a number of years ago, and the brand changed hands again more recently.

Schmidt was a big seller here long after Hamm's got sold to Olympia, then Stroh's, and then went bye-bye.

The Indians were the 1st drum corps I ever saw, as one of our family friends marched with them under both brewery sponsorships...

Pat

Personally, I preferred Schmidt to Hamm's - although the Hamm's they brewed in San Francisco then Olympia was lighter than the St. Paul version..LIke the Oly cans used to say..."It's the Water"..

Edited by goalieguy

Schmidt was a big seller here long after Hamm's got sold to Olympia, then Stroh's, and then went bye-bye.

Personally, I preferred Schmidt to Hamm's - although the Hamm's they brewed in San Francisco then Olympia was lighter than the St. Paul version..LIke the Oly cans used to say..."It's the Water"..

Hey thanks for the beer history lesson Pat. Used to be fun following the smaller breweries until they started getting bought out. We had Schaeffers(sp?) in Allentown that gout bought out by Strohs(?) then disappeared.

Funny thing is I spent time in Seattle area and got to liek Raineer. Years ago I saw a case in the local suds store for the first time and bought it. Yuucccckkkk..... then I looked at the can and saw it was brewed by Hamms. :thumbup:

Back on topic: Understand the Indians would play the Hamms theme "Land of Bky Blue Waters" in their field show. Chocolatiers did a concert one year and had an intro of the then current Hershey Chocolate jingle. Wonder if any other corps did music relating to their corp. sponsor.