It's Move-In Week!

The smell of diesel fuel and the rumble of generators signify the upcoming Memorial Day drum corps move-in weekend. Cooks will be reorganizing cook trailers and the equipment trailers will get a once over as well. Members will be arriving and taking up residence for the next twelve weeks of their lives...preparing and living for a tour of several performances in front of thousands of fans from across the country.

It will be a time for laughing, yawning, running, stretching, marching, parades, sleeping on buses, wierd tanlines, mosquitos, goofy staff members, cold showers, gym floors and above all, making music and marrying sound and movement as we remind those helmeted athletes of fall that for the next twelve weeks, we call them drum corps fields.

It is also a time for us...the fans...to get our tickets in order, purchase our Fan Network subscriptions, get the gas money saved and prepare to chase corps around the country. I still get excited when I see the caravan going back toward Toledo or Madison or Denver...the buses, trucks and their precious cargo in tow.

Godspeed everyone and be safe this summer.

I look forward to seeing folks in:

Glendale, AZ

Naperville, IL

Madison (Middleton), WI

and maybe even Dubuque, IA (when the site is announced)

Hope to see some of you out there this summer!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh the things i would do to go to a rehearsal day where it was below 90 degrees at wake up

Cadets moved in this past weekend and I believe they said they were just missing 20 kids. Oh they also had 41 degrees one morning.

Oh to have move-ins up north.

I look forward to the many 100 degree days yet to come in the next few weeks.

Yep, gone in a few days here.

I'll consider this my official goodbye to DCP, hope to see you on the road and whatnot.

oh the things i would do to go to a rehearsal day where it was below 90 degrees at wake up

Or would you rather it be in the 50's at wake up?

Or would you rather it be in the 50's at wake up?

Heavens YES. I loved the cool mornings in Casper, for example. At least I got use out of my corps jacket during those mornings!

Best of luck to everyone marching!

... Crossmen seem to be moving in very late this year. Wonder what impact that will have.

Same amount of spring training time as last year - the first show's a week later. Was done intentionally because last year numbers were extremely low for the first week or so of spring training as a lot of Texas kids were still in school. I guess the admin. decided it'd be more efficient to move things back a week and have more than half the corps there than it would to start as early as other people and try to learn drill with half a horn line.

No telling how it'll work out, but there was a reason for it. But I'm sure you knew all of that, Kenny.

Edited by TSRTS13