Synthesizers in drum corps

it would be smaller, and here's why:

DCI itself had a stake in less shows. DCE, DCM and DCW ran a lot of the early season stuff, so DCI wouldnt have the numbers. in fact, when DCI took over many of the old DCM shows, they tried to advertise a huge increase.....no, they just tok over 30 or so shows that already were there

Hmm, that would account for the demise of the smaller corps with the loss of the local circuits. One local show that was HUGE was moved off the date that went with a festival they had. Killed that show. It's interesting because it seems like DCI is really only 1.5-2 months long now.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember 8-10 DCI shows within 2 hours in the 90s. now.....2 one of them Allentown

July 31, 2009

we have amps so loud in drum features you cant hear the battery. we have synths on the low end making your ### vibrate.

and we see high scores.

the loss of the percussion 2 judge is a shame, because the drum guys would be the one to call out the balance issue...the music ensemble guys arent.

and it wasnt just earlier in the night corps. it was HNC and BD and Cavies.

synth usage...except for a few effects, nothing of the ground breaking nature we were promised.

all in all.....color me unimpressed, and call me amazed the balance issue is ok. If i were to sit upstairs in Indy next week, withthe way some corps crank the pits during drum breaks, i'd never be able to hear the battery.

and reading the reviews, it seems I am not alone, and based on comments around me in the stands and in the lot after, it's VERY noticeable.

8/1/2009...see above., Crown the worst offender of the weekend...pit just so loud the whole show. I can not believe they popped over 19 in ensemble music...you couldnt hear brass and battery stuff.

i normally respect DCI judging, but this weekend killed a lot of my faith in them

I saw and heard the synths for the first time Friday in Allentown and my feeling is mixed.

Prefer it for sound effects than actual chordal and melodic work. Though corps have been very clever in doing natural sound effects for many, many years, without electronics and it was just as effective. Overall, I say a failed experiment.

BD - WAAAYYY too loud and I didn't like the way it was used as a jazz piano. Ya got umpteen keyboards up there, let them play the melody!

Cavies was okay but with the cool echo things they were doing, I found myself trying to figure out what was being done on the field and what was being done with the synth (if any), and it took away from being able to just enjoy their show.

Cadets - too loud as well.

As for the pit amps.... I like them, except when they are so loud that you cannot hear the battery! As I have stated on the boards before, it allows the players to play the keyboards in the dynamic range they are intended and not beat the crap out of them. But when you have 5-6 marimbas playing in unison, you don't need to turn the volume up that much!

Another topic - I do not see the spread between BD, Cadets and Cavies (especially Cadets). The chair thing just does not work for me. Puts a whole new meaning to "park and blow".

i'll agree. sound effects ok, otherwise, meh

It would seem not. I can't imagine that those guys are listening to their girlfriends gripe when they should be working. Someone is on the other end of that call. I just can't understand why many of them aren't saying "Turn it down! I can't hear the (insert section here)!"

Edited by j.morgus

Please tell me it's against the rules for someone to sit in the stands with a cell phone and communicate with the "electronics operator" during the show

I heard of someone doing that at a show earlier this year (posted on a different corps message board) and I forwarded the post to DCI. They replied and said that it is ABSOLUTELY against the rules to do that and the offending corps had been contacted and told to cease.

If people are indeed doing that, DCI needs to be told and that crap stopped before Indy!

Like I said to DCI, once that show starts, it is in the hands of the performers, not the staff.