Synthesizers in drum corps

MikeD I'd really like to hear your response to what I said. :satisfied:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is, of course, free to have the opinion that the "use of synths weren't too noticeable except for in BD's show, which makes heavy use of them," but it's delusional, imo, considering that there are extended periods of solo and overbearing, over-resonant bass synth in SCV's show

I didn't notice that at all. Maybe it's because I was so high up. Maybe I would have if I had been closer to the amps, but it sounded fine to me.

By the way, Phantom added a synth into their show, so that makes every World Class corps using a synth the first year of their inception. :satisfied:

(insert see their scores going up comments here)

So here's my question on synths, in two versions, just 'cause I want to see what people are thinking:

1. In Spirit's show you have a bass guitarist playing rock bass and a stand-up bass. Those same string sounds could be emulated by a synthesizer/keyboard. Would you prefer an actual guitarist or a synth player (of those two choices)?

Not sure it would matter..though if I were forced to make a choice I'd prefer the guitar.

2. A number of shows have environmental noises replicated via synthesizer (wind, rain, etc.). I remember seeing rain sticks (is that the right word?) being used to replicate rain, brushes on a timpani to replicate the sound of a train, the human voice used to replicated the sound of steam shooting out of something, etc. Again, would you prefer to have inventive methods used to replicate natural noises or have them sampled via a synthesizer?

Well, I like both approaches...there is no one way to achieve an end, so whichever the corps chooses to use is fine by me.

i'm anxious to hear it live in Allentown. good center seats, up high in the lower level

Not sure it would matter..though if I were forced to make a choice I'd prefer the guitar.

I'd prefer the staff use the ingenuity that DCI used to be famous for and find a way to get the idea across with drums and brass....

Kinda like when you drag marching tympani and 2V bugles into a discussion about synths?

Not remotely the same comparison.

It is to me. I've seen the same techniques used to skew the direction of a discussion before. Sucks to be on the receiving end, eh?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Seems to me after viewing the 4 billion posts to this topic that the big picture here is that both sides have redeeming and concrete arguments for using and not using synths. So how to handle? Whelp, we can vote on it, yes/no cut and dried, or we have both. Having both would or MIGHT mean an outlet separate from current channels. Somewhere between WGI and DCI.....maybe ECI? American and National league? DH rule?

Too much hassle? Probably. But big questions need big answers and need go to people that can show foresight and make the big decision.

I know this is painfully obvious to all but sometimes the situation requires a hard reset.

I love synths, and I love Drum Corp. Now what do I do??

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

Seems to me after viewing the 4 billion posts to this topic that the big picture here is that both sides have redeeming and concrete arguments for using and not using synths. So how to handle? Whelp, we can vote on it, yes/no cut and dried, or we have both. Having both would or MIGHT mean an outlet separate from current channels. Somewhere between WGI and DCI.....maybe ECI? American and National league? DH rule?

Too much hassle? Probably. But big questions need big answers and need go to people that can show foresight and make the big decision.

I know this is painfully obvious to all but sometimes the situation requires a hard reset.

I love synths, and I love Drum Corp. Now what do I do??

Create a marching synth?