Synthesizers in drum corps

Like I said to DCI, once that show starts, it is in the hands of the performers, not the staff.

It's not though. They have a staffer on a mixing board during the performances.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me it's against the rules for someone to sit in the stands with a cell phone and communicate with the "electronics operator" during the show

nope. and to be honest thats smart, because field level is not the place to address balance...it should be done from upstairs, tho in Crowns case, their brass is so #### wonderfully loud and the guy is cocooned under the DM podium, they probably cant even hear the call

I heard of someone doing that at a show earlier this year (posted on a different corps message board) and I forwarded the post to DCI. They replied and said that it is ABSOLUTELY against the rules to do that and the offending corps had been contacted and told to cease.

If people are indeed doing that, DCI needs to be told and that crap stopped before Indy!

Like I said to DCI, once that show starts, it is in the hands of the performers, not the staff.

I saw it happen all weekend...guys with phones to their ears, bluetooths going.

Maybe if the judging reflected both negative and positive impacts that the use of electrics have on your show, like registering too much activity or bad use, etc. it would even out. Correlation being an orchestral piece here and there that goes beyond normal symphonic instrumentation yet doesn't change the core structure. It does with, or without, or basically with what's needed in that particular moment. "Mr./Ms. corps instructor, I'd like to give you a better score but your synth stuff is horrible" could be a scenario. It's better than simply getting higher scores for using them. Objectivity would be difficult though, I would concede. So you get a Lincoln Portrait or some Cageian thing now and then? It might be forced to be good, or it's curtains.

a judge saying the synth stuff is no good is a judge protested and soon out of work, especially if it's a top corps

I heard of someone doing that at a show earlier this year (posted on a different corps message board) and I forwarded the post to DCI. They replied and said that it is ABSOLUTELY against the rules to do that and the offending corps had been contacted and told to cease.

But the rules specifically say it is legal for the sound board operator to communicate with another person in the stadium during the performance via wireless device. They've been doing that for years.

and at times had 3 people at the sound board saturday night

also noticed 2 synth players wearing headphones...whats that about?

so....my thoughts after seeing everyone live.

they work for sound effects. if used for bass it's too loud, and the piano sounds are very out of place feeling. and as usual, balance issues galore that get ignored