Synthesizers in drum corps

Drum Corps is not Marching Band.

Bugles are not Trumpets.

Drum Corps is Marching Band.

Bugles are Trumpets.

All arguments on DCP devolve to this and never get any further. There's an insurmountable wall between these two POVs that can't be breached with logic or emotion or carbide-tipped drills.

/universe

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no Mike. DCI made changes that made me not enjoy it nearly as much. I still went a few times to try and enjoy it. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. yet they keep pushing the changes on thru. i wanted to stay...their choices pushed me out. i dont pay to see that which makes me displeased.

YOU aren't able to accept the changes. That is not DCI's fault. Its not anyone's fault. You just like what you like, which is OK, but DCI in no way pushed you away. That is your own choice, as much as any change in any era.

You seem to support anything and everything every proposed by George Hopkins.

I don't care who proposes an idea...a good idea is a good idea...and I think some of the proposals Hoppy gets credit/blame for were actually put forth by Dave Gibbs.

YOU aren't able to accept the changes. That is not DCI's fault. Its not anyone's fault. You just like what you like, which is OK, but DCI in no way pushed you away. That is your own choice, as much as any change in any era.

Mike..i accept the chamges were made......but THEY SUCK.

so by making those changes, adding in things I have detested and thought useless in the band world for decades, DCI pushed me away. I dont pay to go see band shows. why? because of the usage f stuff like this. it isnt about the kids anymore, its about who has the greatest and latest toys

OK, fair enough. I've seen (paid for with my good $$) Spirit three times this summer. Is that sufficient to give my opinion? Is that a fair viewing? I don't like how Spirit's using them this year. I do not enjoy them. I don't like how they double up the contra line at several points during the show. They just don't seem to add. They seem to use them for the sake of using them. I am not dismissing electronics on the whole. I tried to direct my comment toward how Spirit uses them in this one show in 2009. Does this meet all standards for making a comment that says I don't enjoy them?

Thank you for participating. I detect a little nastiness in your tone with me, but I will let that slide and since we know you don't like electronics we can now move on.

Mike..i accept the chamges were made......but THEY SUCK.

so by making those changes, adding in things I have detested and thought useless in the band world for decades, DCI pushed me away. I dont pay to go see band shows. why? because of the usage f stuff like this. it isnt about the kids anymore, its about who has the greatest and latest toys

No, it is totally about the members and the experience they receive. You don't like the changes, but that's on you, not DCI...and it in no way changes the nature of drum corps as you seem to think.

As you say, you just don't like electronics, etc...so of course to you they suck....for you.

As you would say, "assume much?"

And in case it wasn't clear, you were wrong on two questions and 21/22 wrong on the other.

I'm sure you have a point and some better input, but unfortunately it didn't end up in your post. Make it clearer for me.

Cute - but incorrect. But you probably didn't know that there ever was a summer marching band activity, much less that it has coexisted with drum corps for all this time.

Maybe it's because of my youthful age that I probably didn't know there was ever a summer maching band activity that coexisted with drum corps? Tell me all about it. I am very interested in the stories about it's last days.

We keep going around and around about the issue of electronics. All there is to this topic is to say you don't like it. When you start trying to demonize it with biased revelations then it causes the back in forth we're having. It's not that I am pro electrions, but rather I am not anti electronics because of all the reasons that boil down to personal opinion and taste--not that its actually destroying dci as yall say it is. Prove that there has been a decline in dci and that its inherently linked to electronics. Maybe your proof will be cuter and correct.

they're in the same place DCM is, Garden State is....you either play by DCI's rules or you dont survive.

DCI took over junior drum corps the way WalMart eats retail competition....it did what it could to make sure it was all that was left.

that's not exactly true...DCM was active after DCI Central...for two years I think.

DCI just presented a better option for their member corps who took themselves up on their option. Had DCM been able to offer something similar to its member corps...perhaps...oh that's right....that's the same circuit who FORCED corps to pa for judges even if they decided not to use their services. Talk about forcing.

And you can ask Scott Stewart how that all went down.