Synthesizers in drum corps

Jeff, do you know about the marching band that coexisted with drum corps--I know that was way before your time as well, just thought you might know about it?

Possibly Loris, SC Marching Lions from theearly 1960s? NanciDs history blog has some articles but can't remember the details.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I agree with that. But there aren't too many 216 page posts

This subject in particular is one that runs deep. I'm not really surprised, and it's not like it's the first ever thread of this kind. Don't expect it to die anytime soon.

I don't think we can go by attendance figures this year. Most casual fans probably don't even know about the rule changes. The Jackson, NJ, show was sold out with a bunch of people in the back stands.

I agree. I talked to a person at the Dubuque show who didn't even notice any synths except Spirit. Many of the corps have pretty well concealed their use...note Madison's coverings over theirs.

Me too, which is why I support the addition of amps and electronics. Those are great additions...long overdue. Removing them would be 'stupid change'.

Adding them was "stupid change". My word against yours. Mutual cancellation.

Um..that doesn't mean they were not bands, just that the VFW created two divisions with different instrumentation. So no, it's not a 'tired old argument'...it's the truth as I see it. Feel free to disagree...but don't denigrate someone else POV just because you disagree.

Well, let's look at it from this direction. Were the bands allowed to compete in the drum corps division? Were the corps allowed to compete in the band division? No, on both counts? Evidently someone thought there was a difference.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Electronics is merely (the worst) another symptom of DCI's seeming determination to remove the distinction between marching band and drum corps. Drum corps used to be a very distinctive experience with distinctive instruments (bugles). There was a certain pride in being a very difference kind of experience from band. There was considerable change within the traditional format of drum corps. But DCI is ceasing to be drum corps and is rapidly pursuing a (self-destructive) route to summer marching band. Drum corps was once community based, with probably something in the area of 150 junior corps active at various levels. Over the past 20 years, DCI has systematically promoted a policy where only the top few corps matter (National touring schedule, enlarging the size of corps, etc) allowing many, many other corps to die. It has allowed the instrumentation to change and for many folks, allowing electronics into what was once an accoustic activity is the final straw. I have never seen an activity destroy itself like DCI. Soon (if it isn't already) DCI will simply be summer marching band. To some folks, that's a good thing. But to those of us who value the traditions of drum corps it's an unmitigated disaster.

Said with tons of passion. I'll give you that. However, I believe your perceptions are wrong and misguided. DCI is changing. It has always been changing. You want it to be like it was. A similar phenomenon is found with alums of colleges and universities. They want the school to be like it was when they went. There is no longer a Sunday Vespers service. The school is now teaching Women's Studies. I have witnessed alumni pulling their support from the college because of some of the changes. Smart colleges then cultivate new groups to support the mission of the institution. This seems to be exactly as DCI is doing.

By the way...the fact that has been indisputable is that DCI allowed corps to make broader decisions in their programming. That's it. A corps could still legally perform with G Horns and marching pits and an honor guard if they wanted. The corps have the decision making power. And if you want a corps to pursue your drum corps vision, I can tell you...money talks...with colleges I worked for and for drum corps. Offer a drum corps $750,000.00 and I'll bet you can have a lot more say in what and how they perform. I know one Wisconsin corps who would jump at $750,000 right now. I bet you can name them as well.

Anyway. Thanks for the passion. Your drum corps experience taught you or helped you in that aspect...as it does today...with these great young people. It's about them now. And yes, some of them enjoy playing the synthesizer.

Well, I'd be concerned if a venue that small didn't sell out.

I heard Rockford had a big crowd too...even with all the rain.

Glendale had packed stands.

So, from my limited information...attendance hasn't shown any definitive drops because there are synthesizers. Some of the folks on here railing about them have already sworn off DCI years ago when there were amps and mics.

Now, Anapolis had poor attendance...but, I understand weather was an issue earlier in the day, but the skies looked gorgeous on the FN at show time.

What other evidence is there about attendance related to the use of synthesizers. I'd be interested in seeing some facts. Perhaps someone has done a marketing survey or something.

Maybe it's because of my youthful age that I probably didn't know there was ever a summer maching band activity that coexisted with drum corps? Tell me all about it. I am very interested in the stories about it's last days.

Summer Bands International

Garry in Vegas

Maybe it's because of my youthful age that I probably didn't know there was ever a summer maching band activity that coexisted with drum corps? Tell me all about it. I am very interested in the stories about it's last days.

There is no such story - summer marching band still exists. However, it has faded to just one local/regional circuit in the Midwest (MACBDA) that sanctions at least a handful of contests. There is also an organization that runs an annual world championship for marching bands (WAMSB). They both have websites, if you want to learn about them firsthand.

There is, of course, much more to it over the course of history. For instance:

- Like I said earlier, both the VFW and AL established contests for drum corps and marching band in parallel. Reports on the first AL Nationals contests in the early 1920s gave results for both the drum corps and the bands. Band contests took place at both the state and national levels, as did drum corps.

- The CYO circuit in Massachusetts sanctioned contests for drum corps, marching bands and drill teams in parallel from 1940 through the mid-1980s.

- The West has a long history of summer marching band activity. Several of them began competing in conjunction with drum corps events in the early 1970s, a habit that persisted through the late 1990s. Summer Bands International, a band circuit that sanctioned a cross-country contest tour a la DCI, was strongly populated by Western bands (and exclusively so in their final few seasons).

- BOA started out as Marching Bands of America, running their first three championships (1976-8) during the drum corps season. They then ran both summer and fall contests for several more years before opting to focus on the fall scholastic scene.

- DCI established a band division in the late 1990s, but no contests have yet been held due to lack of interest.

The one unifying trend I have observed among all of these summer marching band efforts is that they all drew less interest (both in fans and in marching membership) than the corresponding drum corps. That is an important reason why I wouldn't want to see DCI go down that road....I believe it will cost them so many fans as to render their operating model unsustainable. Looking at the level of excellence (both on and off the field) that BOA has achieved, and the continued absence of a substantial fanbase there, it appears that my concern is justified. Perhaps that will change someday, if today's generation of marching band kids becomes tomorrow's band fanbase.

Summer Bands International

Garry in Vegas

Also, Mid-America Competing Band Directors Association, currently still active. See my sig -- my HS band competed in this circuit in the mid 70s thru the 90s. We also competed with some west coast bands, including Van Nuys Royal Cavaliers, Whittier Cavaliers, etc. during summer tours to California.

No, it is totally about the members and the experience they receive. You don't like the changes, but that's on you, not DCI...and it in no way changes the nature of drum corps as you seem to think.

As you say, you just don't like electronics, etc...so of course to you they suck....for you.

Mike please tell me how adding these new toys are for the kids. please, shower me with enlightenment on how this helps the kids.