Synthesizers in drum corps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said that Phantom is being penalized for not having a synth. Explicitly. Please help me escape my "density" by explaining what Phantom should be scoring/placing. I don't think it an unreasonable question.

They cannot get credit for having a synth because they are not using one. Score is irrelevant to this point. This is about perception of moving the activity forward.

They cannot get credit for having a synth because they are not using one. Score is irrelevant to this point. This is about perception of moving the activity forward.

I'm sure that's in a box 5 definition someplace. GE? If synths are the great new toy and you're not exploring them, wouldn't you suffer in this box?

Okay. In your opinion, where in the scores does the lack of credit show up, or is it a concerted decision made beforehand by the judging community? Just asking your opinion here. I don't put anything past judges, and we had this same exact discussion going on when amps were first introduced. It's part of the reason I wish they had it on the scoresheet, because I do believe it gets judged one way or another...but as Ream said, if that happens, then they do indeed HAVE to be used. Not cool at all.

I think we'll need to see a lot more scores, especially at a SA type regional, before arguing that Phantom's lack of synth might be hurting them. Just my opinion.

Okay. In your opinion, where in the scores does the lack of credit show up, or is it a concerted decision made beforehand by the judging community? Just asking your opinion here. I don't put anything past judges, and we had this same exact discussion going on when amps were first introduced. It's part of the reason I wish they had it on the scoresheet, because I do believe it gets judged one way or another...but as Ream said, if that happens, then they do indeed HAVE to be used. Not cool at all.

I think we'll need to see a lot more scores, especially at a SA type regional, before arguing that Phantom's lack of synth might be hurting them. Just my opinion.

Well, Lance that's a great question. On a buildup scale you cannot give any credit for something that doesn't exist. The entire system is based on perception by the judges and what they have been taught to listen for and give credit for. DCI does train these judges on what to look for etc. Agreed on the head to head.

Obviously. This is why so many corps using vocals over the past 5 years have won world championships.
Are they using amplified vocals?

That must be hurting their score too since they can't get credit for it.

Hello?

Is this thing on?

All of these changes maintained the unique voice of drum corps as an all-acoustic, brass and percussion ensemble with visual auxiliary.

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winnah....

IOW - Garry just put my feelings in a sound bite (15 words or so).

Changes prior to 2000 or so changed the already existing guard, horns, percussion, music and drill. Use of synth/electronics added something new to the mix. And far as I know the only sound difference between DCI and MB is woodwinds.

Using the sound of horns and drums only in a marching competition was a unique form of music. Only thing close is brass bands which do not do a field show far as I know.

Did what you speak of happen yet( the permanent change)? Have all of the drum corps conformed to this new idiom you speak of? Isn't the use of electronic equipment an option so that you don't get penalized for either using it or not using it? If your answers to these questions are: no, no and yes--in that order;

As you would say, "assume much?"

And in case it wasn't clear, you were wrong on two questions and 21/22 wrong on the other.

Hey, if the stroke of the broadbrush fits the bill--why waste time single stroking every individual issue with the mini brush, especially if all the issues come back to making drum corps like it was "back in the day"?

And if it doesn't fit....why waste time acknowledging your mistake? :laughing: