OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

I can't believe the Crossmen are completely innocent in all this, nor can I believe that this sort of stuff doesn't happen year after year with various corps. We're dealing with high school and college kids here, and pranks are not unusual behavior for this age group.

Like the time the 74 DCI Championship flag was taken from SCV's truck.........however, it ws returned 30 years later. Boys will be boys.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Madison Alumni...& if either the uniform stealing or flipping the bird at other Drum Corps really happened, then the Scouts are worse off than I thought. And I'm not sure that I will provide any future support to the Corps.

I was disapointed that Madison missed finals, but this situation makes me sad & angry. Angry with the current leadership of the Scouts. Have the Scouts lost the meaning & history of what it means to be a Madison Scout?

Behaviour like this, if it happened, is a result of poor leadership.

This would NEVER EVER have happened when I marched. We took pride in ourselves & in being a first class organization.

We never ever made fun of another corps, let alone stole their stuff.

Madison was never a corps that tolerated punks or bad behaviour. Anyone who was out of line would suffer the wrath of not only the staff, but worse, the other members. The Scouts were a very very disciplined organization.

And I dont care what the Crossmen might have done to provoke the Scouts, stealing their stuff & flipping them the bird is unnacceptable. It's bush league.

I remember the Bridgemen throwing rocks at the buses of another Corps that I marched in prior to Madison.

Our response was to outclass them...and we beat them numerous times following the incident.

Once again, if these charges are true, & it certainly sounds legit, It is truly a sad time for the Drum & Bugle Corps activity & the Madison Scouts.

I really can't believe that no one from this years Scouts have had anything to say about this matter.

I have a really bad feeling in my gut right now about both the current & future status of the Madison Scouts.

A VERY CLASSY REPLY

THANK YOU

This direction of this thread has been brought to my attention and I feel that some aspects of this can be addressed.

Let me confirm that an incident occurred on Friday evening in which a Crossmen uniform was found on the bus of the Madison Scouts. The uniform was discovered by members of the Madison Scouts and they themselves immediately took the uniform to a staff member of the Crossmen and explained where it was found. The uniform was not damaged in any way.

The circumstances of how the uniform got on the bus are unclear. The location of the uniform on the bus, how it was found, the co-location of the two corps and the fact that we shared the same bus service has made it difficult to actually determine whether this is serious breach of conduct or not. The corps was addressed on the situation Friday evening at our housing site and Dann and I are continuing to investigate the situation directly with the members.

If it is found that the uniform was stolen, that is a serious offense and completely against the Madison Scouts' "code of conduct". Each corps members signs a "code of conduct" and the guidelines for their behavior are clearly stated in the member handbook. Not following the principles set forth in those documents, and constantly reinforced directly by Dann, would result in punishment and potential expulsion from the corps.

As for the inappropriate gestures, again this is under investigation with our membership.

For any fans and alumni of the corps, let me say that we hold Madison Scouts members to a high standard of conduct. This is discussed, reinforced and made clear from day 1 of their participation in the corps. When a member falls short of that standard, we judiciously address the situation, punish as required, and hope to turn the situation into an opportunity to learn and grow as an individual. I have confidence in the systems that we have in place to monitor and address these situations.

Dann spoke with Mark Chambers on Saturday to address the situation. We have agreed to a scenario in the 2010 season to bring the corps together in hopes of resolving any real or perceived conflicts between the two organizations.

No doubt the Madison Scouts just completed a season in which the on-field program missed its expectations. Let's be careful that we not mix the programmatic results of our field production with a belief that all characteristics of the organization are beginning to fail. That is simply not true. The experience and learning opportunities we provide for our membership is rock solid. Throughout Finals weeks, I had endless conversations with parents who discussed the positive transformations that their sons had experienced as Madison Scouts. I am proud of the work Dann has done with these young men.

As we rebuild for a better competitive future, having a solid foundation in our members and the membership experience will be critical. As an administrative team, we do recognize that we must make critical changes in order to move forward as an organization both on and off the field of competition.

If you would like to address any of these matters, please contact me directly. I do glance DCP from time-to-time, but I generally prefer to address concerns in a more direct fashion. Some of you who post here have reached out to me and I think the dialog has had a very positive result.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

ckomnick@madisonscouts.org

ANOTHER CLASS ACT

THANK YOU

This direction of this thread has been brought to my attention and I feel that some aspects of this can be addressed.

Let me confirm that an incident occurred on Friday evening in which a Crossmen uniform was found on the bus of the Madison Scouts. The uniform was discovered by members of the Madison Scouts and they themselves immediately took the uniform to a staff member of the Crossmen and explained where it was found. The uniform was not damaged in any way.

The circumstances of how the uniform got on the bus are unclear. The location of the uniform on the bus, how it was found, the co-location of the two corps and the fact that we shared the same bus service has made it difficult to actually determine whether this is serious breach of conduct or not. The corps was addressed on the situation Friday evening at our housing site and Dann and I are continuing to investigate the situation directly with the members.

If it is found that the uniform was stolen, that is a serious offense and completely against the Madison Scouts' "code of conduct". Each corps members signs a "code of conduct" and the guidelines for their behavior are clearly stated in the member handbook. Not following the principles set forth in those documents, and constantly reinforced directly by Dann, would result in punishment and potential expulsion from the corps.

As for the inappropriate gestures, again this is under investigation with our membership.

For any fans and alumni of the corps, let me say that we hold Madison Scouts members to a high standard of conduct. This is discussed, reinforced and made clear from day 1 of their participation in the corps. When a member falls short of that standard, we judiciously address the situation, punish as required, and hope to turn the situation into an opportunity to learn and grow as an individual. I have confidence in the systems that we have in place to monitor and address these situations.

Dann spoke with Mark Chambers on Saturday to address the situation. We have agreed to a scenario in the 2010 season to bring the corps together in hopes of resolving any real or perceived conflicts between the two organizations.

No doubt the Madison Scouts just completed a season in which the on-field program missed its expectations. Let's be careful that we not mix the programmatic results of our field production with a belief that all characteristics of the organization are beginning to fail. That is simply not true. The experience and learning opportunities we provide for our membership is rock solid. Throughout Finals weeks, I had endless conversations with parents who discussed the positive transformations that their sons had experienced as Madison Scouts. I am proud of the work Dann has done with these young men.

As we rebuild for a better competitive future, having a solid foundation in our members and the membership experience will be critical. As an administrative team, we do recognize that we must make critical changes in order to move forward as an organization both on and off the field of competition.

If you would like to address any of these matters, please contact me directly. I do glance DCP from time-to-time, but I generally prefer to address concerns in a more direct fashion. Some of you who post here have reached out to me and I think the dialog has had a very positive result.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

ckomnick@madisonscouts.org

Glad to see this post.I fully understand what you are dealing with.

What I don't understand is...why would Madison just do this for no reason? Did Crossmen do something to promote a response from Madison? I don't understand why Madison would be upset at the Crossmen, but I could see Crossmen being bitter about being beat by Madison by one place for the last 3 years, including bumping them on the last day in both 07 and 08.

Just saying, if a Madison member did indeed steal the uniform, what was the motivation? Who steals another corps uniform for ##### and giggles? Cause you'd be an idiot if you advertised that you did it by showing it to your friends, especially with the internet.

And what about the members who saw this and immediately returned the uniform and tried to remedy the situation as soon as possible before things got out of hand? Clearly, those guys have no class at all. <\sarcasm>

I feel bad for the people who had nothing to do with it or didn't even know it happened until the next day.

Just trying to bring in things to consider that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Let's discover all possibilities before we proclaim one corps the bad guy and one corps the innocent victim.

So unfortunate that one person's actions can effect so many people.

Just saying, if a Madison member did indeed steal the uniform, what was the motivation? Who steals another corps uniform for ##### and giggles? Cause you'd be an idiot if you advertised that you did it by showing it to your friends, especially with the internet.

This brings up another question... was it really someone from Madison who pulled this stunt, or someone else entirely? If you were from Madison, would you really take a Crossmen uniform and put it out in the open on your own bus? Secondary to this is the matter of bus security - why weren't they locked up, or at least being watched?

so is it too early to start the OFFICIAL 2010 Madison Scouts Thread?

Yes.

Yes.

I vote for no "Official" 2010 Madison thread at all, actually. :satisfied: "Hearsay" 2010 thread?... well, ok.

Edited by Cop