New study: corps & band => sports injuries

Well that didn't take long. Deadspin just linked to the same findings on Reuters - making fun of it, of course:

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/deadspin/full/~...t-up-your-jocks

Now THAT is funny.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm....deedeedee? Took them lon enough to figure that out. Now, for the general public......

Well, OBVIOUSLY marching band is a strenuous activity. But you see far less life-threatening injuries. There might be some, but not as much as the sports that involve large pads and spiked shoes, or razors blades on the bottom of your feet. Marching band is not a sport, as it has no direct competition during performance. This leads to the lower serious-injury rate.

Does anyone have the link to that old study where they hooked up the cavalier to the hbreathing and heart moniters? If it's on the Tube, just PM it, I guess, though I don't think that one breaks the TOS.

Well, OBVIOUSLY marching band is a strenuous activity. But you see far less life-threatening injuries. There might be some, but not as much as the sports that involve large pads and spiked shoes, or razors blades on the bottom of your feet. Marching band is not a sport, as it has no direct competition during performance. This leads to the lower serious-injury rate.

Unless the football team runs through you...

On the flip side of this...people always thinking fencing is dangerous because "they use swords." Never mind that the things aren't sharp and the chances of a high school fencer going to the emergency room due to a fencing injury are 0.09 percent, and those are mostly muscle injuries....football??? 25%....and yet WAT sport is looked at as more dangerous??? When was the last time a fencer was paralyzed after a hard hit??

no one said marching band was a sport. On the same note, I've never considered football or any other collegiate/high school sport as life-threatening.

Also runners, body builders, bicyclists, snowboarders, skateboarders, skiers, pole-vaulters etc don't experience any direct competition during performance either. Yet, all of these disciplines are still considered within the genre of sport. There is also a degree of danger in terms of injury for all of them sports as well.

We can't forget the dancers either.

There is no direct link that says one is at y risk of injury due to x degree of it's competitive nature.

I think this recognition of physical activity by an accredited associate of sports medicine will do nothing but good. Although some groups already have physical trainers that monitor the members carefully, there are still other groups around that do not work effectively or efficiently. Information on marching specific conditioning that's widely available to all marching groups, corps and bands alike, will likely show benefit in terms of injury prevention and mental stamina.

no one said marching band was a sport. On the same note, I've never considered football or any other collegiate/high school sport as life-threatening.

Talk to Kip Hayes....he played HS football in my district when I was in HS and was paralized from the neck down after a hard tackle....he died a few years ago from complications from the injury.

ANY sport is life threatening if proper precautions aren't taken, or if there's a freak occurance.

Well, OBVIOUSLY marching band is a strenuous activity. But you see far less life-threatening injuries. There might be some, but not as much as the sports that involve large pads and spiked shoes, or razors blades on the bottom of your feet.

Yeah, drum corps only involves drum on harnesses, spinning metal poles, and 40 lbs. horns...

Marching band is not a sport, as it has no direct competition during performance.

Neither does, oh, let's see:

Archery

Any track even

Kayak

Cycling

Diving

Equestrian

Gymnastics

Trampoline (ok, so maybe that's not much of a sport either)

Pentathlon

Rowing

Sailing

Shooting

Swimming

Synchronized Swimming

Triathlon

Weightlifting

And from the Winter Olympics:

Skiing

Biathlon

Biathlon

Bobsleigh

Cross-Country Skiing

Curling

Figure Skating

Freestyle Skiing

Luge

Nordic Combined

Skeleton

Ski Jumping

Snowboard

Speed Skating

It always strikes me funny when people say this. Those "athletes" that are paid to eat and lift weights and run 5 feet and then go to an oxygen mask are more "sporty" than somebody elevating their heart rate for extended periods of time at intervals for 4-5 hours per day? And this has something to do with the human buldozers wearing pads?

k.

I think drum corps/marching band is very athletic.

I don't like calling it a "sport" simply because it puts us in the same group of people that get paid $millions just to play even though some of them are complete ######## (though not all of them). We're better than that. We like what we do so much that we're willing to give up an entire summer and PAY $2000 just to be in one.

I find the responses here amusing to say the least lol

http://deadspin.com/5277660/our-band-can-beat-up-your-jocks