Mini Corps

It's one thing to not be able to accommodate all. It's a whole different thing to NOT EVEN TRY.

DCI is what age 6 to 22? DCA is age 6 to 72+? Which do you think SHOULD ultimately prove to be the larger organization in the long run? Big Picture, you're missing it way more than I could ever hope to. About all these limits do is delay the inevitable. And as long as these voids keep growing, it probably wont be good for DCA. Which leaves a door wide open for SDCA, DCU, DCM, DCT, ???

You failed to realize, the mini-corps portion of I&E has not broken the 20 plateau in its history. This is just a measure for the time being, and can be changed to accommodate any future increases in attendance. Seeing that this was just announced, I'm guessing that this measure was put into place after careful consideration of Finals week's big daddy events and other traditional gatherings. This wasn't some conspiracy to "hold it to the little guy," this was a way for them to keep the fun Friday night contained to Friday, instead of running until 5 am in the morning before they even think about handing awards to the participants.

13th season of corps for me. 8th in the all age genre. Been to DCA 3 times as a competitor. No need to make the trip if I'm not. Why choose Austin over others, because it saves me over 6 hours of travel time per camp / event. 6 hours better spent memorizing the show, practicing, and other advantageous things. Instead of chewing up time and money behind the wheel. As far as minicorps for Austin. We seem to be hovering near 9 horns and 20+ guard. Too few to compete on the field. And too few to compete off. Still a group with a pretty high average talent level. And under current rules, may never be seen up yonder. Too many locals seem to take the call me when you're bigger stance, and I can't say I blame them. It's certainly no joy being called a 1st year corps on your 3rd year. Or doing all this work in the heat for little more than applause locally.

It is your prerogative to get whatever pleasure you find from performing. I can understand that joy in competing, but sometimes, I also just like going to have the pleasure of sharing my show with others, be it 50 or 5000.

And to anyone who says "call me when you're bigger," tell them that they can help that now. Make it worth it for them. Don't just give up after one no. Make them want to join now, give them the external and intrinsic rewards of getting into the game now. It's all in how you sell it. Market it any which way you can think of.

As far as pictures and video, I've been selling off my horns and gearing up for that. Apparently no one else could be trusted to do it, much less do it right. I had planned on just recording this season. And still hope to only do that, but certain voids exist that need filling that can't be ignored. So that's semi on hold. But I fully expect to be all weather by seasons end. And it should only cost about $50 to get there from here. Plastic storage bin, mixed nut can, paint, glue, tape... Probably even a windshield with wiper blade eventually. It should be pretty glorious. HD Video, DSD Audio, and rain proof. Tidy up that excuse list DCA.

I look forward to your proposed bid.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI is what age 6 to 22? DCA is age 6 to 72+? Which do you think SHOULD ultimately prove to be the larger organization in the long run?

Logically, DCI. People in the 6-22 age range more often than not have a whole heck of a lot less to occupy their time than those of us above 22, and the peer-attraction will mean that far more 6-22 year olds will head to DCI than will to DCA. Every example I've so far seen of people who have an opportunity to march in a DCA corps, or even a nascent, not-quite-yet-DCA corps, who have chosen not to have done so because of time and money, not because of participation limits set by DCA. I'd be interested to see what examples you have that show otherwise (not saying they don't exist; just saying that I've never seen hide nor hair of them).

The limits set thus far by DCA have, to my eyes, been in the nature of being prepared, not being restrictive. Saying "well, we'll see when we get there" is a terrible way for any organizer to approach something like this. The fact that the limit is well above the maximum number of participants they've ever gotten further suggests preparation, rather than restriction.

Selling off horns in order to procure video equipment doesn't sound very well-prepared. Are you going to have an infinite number of HD tapes available for when the show times go long due to the massive surge of minicorps created when DCA does away with the fascist "first 20 applicants" measure that's clearly only designed to destroy the will of all those millions who would otherwise be flocking to create corps that will travel to DCA on their very first year of existence, financial-situation-be-######?

It's one thing to not be able to accommodate all. It's a whole different thing to NOT EVEN TRY.

DCI is what age 6 to 22? DCA is age 6 to 72+? Which do you think SHOULD ultimately prove to be the larger organization in the long run? Big Picture, you're missing it way more than I could ever hope to. About all these limits do is delay the inevitable. And as long as these voids keep growing, it probably wont be good for DCA. Which leaves a door wide open for SDCA, DCU, DCM, DCT, ???

13th season of corps for me. 8th in the all age genre. Been to DCA 3 times as a competitor. No need to make the trip if I'm not. Why choose Austin over others, because it saves me over 6 hours of travel time per camp / event. 6 hours better spent memorizing the show, practicing, and other advantageous things. Instead of chewing up time and money behind the wheel. As far as minicorps for Austin. We seem to be hovering near 9 horns and 20+ guard. Too few to compete on the field. And too few to compete off. Still a group with a pretty high average talent level. And under current rules, may never be seen up yonder. Too many locals seem to take the call me when you're bigger stance, and I can't say I blame them. It's certainly no joy being called a 1st year corps on your 3rd year. Or doing all this work in the heat for little more than applause locally.

As far as pictures and video, I've been selling off my horns and gearing up for that. Apparently no one else could be trusted to do it, much less do it right. I had planned on just recording this season. And still hope to only do that, but certain voids exist that need filling that can't be ignored. So that's semi on hold. But I fully expect to be all weather by seasons end. And it should only cost about $50 to get there from here. Plastic storage bin, mixed nut can, paint, glue, tape... Probably even a windshield with wiper blade eventually. It should be pretty glorious. HD Video, DSD Audio, and rain proof. Tidy up that excuse list DCA. Aren't you overdue for rain?

ok Shadow...let's be realistic here.

DCA doesnt have to do a #### thing for mini corps at all if they dont want to. However they do. However...mini corps arent DCA members. Never have been and with MCA, they probably wont be. While you like to bash DCA for lack of growth potential, DCA is staring at i believe it's largest prelims ever. Given the schedule DCA corps have to work with, it isnt easy to coordinate travel and funds, and none of the regions have as yet shown they are ready for finals to move.

Guess what...even if finals move, will all the East Coast mini corps come? probably not. So while some new faces may appear at a non eastern finals, growth may not be that big as some eastern minis may not show up.

Now..you continue to ignore logic here dude. DCA's main gig is prelims and finals. The alumni show and I&E/mini corps is an added bonus. You also have the HOF luncheon, which is a TRADITION from long before you started whining about how many times you couldnt attend DCA for whatever is NEVER ( insert sarcasm) your fault.

so...to start Friday at 2 pm...when many people, INCLUDING performers may be on the road? No, and it'd be stupid to try it. Guess what dude...people have real lives, and in this economy getting time off can equal loss of employment.

"um yeah boss...i need friday off so i can fly into rachacha and bang my drum. I know you said no one gets off, but i need this"

and i can see that person gone.

then..you say Monday. um, see Friday, especially for those that bus home or fly home. it's a ####### travel day and some teams may not even get home til Tuesday as is. And so little ole you can do mini corps, you want people to tell the real world to hold on and wait, so it makes you happy?

bottom line...you want a mini corps in Rochester, get your #### in on time or shut up, because really, I see NO OTHER mini corps on here whining about it.

and here's something else....having problems recruiting? let me ask you......with you seen as the online fighter for your group.....would that entice people? those who really dont know DCA see you #####ing and may say "why bother?"

it is what it is. accept it and do what you need to to make it up, or just stop embarrasing yourself. DCA isn't out to get Shadow. DCA is out to run the weekend in Rochester and wherever else it may end up as best as can given the scheduling issues inherit.

it seems to me that many other groups...lets see...usually 10 alumni corps, now 20 mini corps, plus what 28 at prelims....wow 58 corps....plus any other in I&E that arent in one of the above corps...make it work.

of course, you'll reply that DCA is blah blah blah. and Guess what.....they arent. you are.

as for your personal issues....guess what Shadow? DCA is not and can not EVER be all things for all people. to try and do so is slow death waiting to happen.

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

Go to http://www.dcacorps.org and click on the championship graphic on the front door.

You'll see links to buy tickets, get a hotel, and get the I&E registration forms.

The I&E forms can be downloaded directly from http://www.dcacorps.org/ieinfo.zip .

Regarding brass/percussion duets... how often are these done, and is the percussionist restricted totally to percussion, and the brass player to brass? Can the percussion player play multiple percussion instruments, and can the brass player play multiple brass instruments?

I am very confused. Didn't "The Houston Stars" sign up for DCA. Now the Shadow says they aren't coming. Am I missing something.

He writes how DCA always misses the boat and his corps stays at 9 horns year after year. Tell me they didn't sign up to come to Rochester last week and this week are annoucing they aren't coming.

What am I missing here????

To my knowledge, there is no Houston Stars. The Austin Stars have passed their DCA evaluation and are intending to participate in Finals this year. Shadow is no longer (unless things have changed...) associated with that group. Instead he is moving into the audio/video recording avenue. I have no inside information on what the numbers breakdown of Stars is, so I would have to defer to Shadow here, as I'm sure he still has contacts within the group.

Houston's Gulf Coast Sound will be represented at Rochester during the minicorps performance only (maybe some I&E as well). Even though we had 2/3 of our show on the field, we made the decision not to do a competitive season this year and work towards next year.

Which do you think SHOULD ultimately prove to be the larger organization in the long run? Big Picture, you're missing it way more than I could ever hope to. About all these limits do is delay the inevitable. And as long as these voids keep growing, it probably wont be good for DCA. Which leaves a door wide open for SDCA, DCU, DCM, DCT, ???

And the more DC groups the better IMO. Who the Hell cares which group is bigger as long as the activity SURVIVES. Just keep thinking to myself "13 corps in the early 90s", "13 corps in the early 90s"....

DCA is hitting a problem with the length of time needed to run I&E and Mini Corps. OK, the path they took isn't the one I'd like, but danged if I can think of a better alternative.

s/ Member of two Senior corps groups whose initials were not DCA and guy who predicted the end of DCA/Sr corps in the early 90s....

Shadow...

Only because I wonder if this is really ABOUT something, and not just a hypothetical complaint about what might happen...

Is your concern that the Austin Stars (or others) might have to change from Class A to the Mini-corps competition, as a late decision, and not have a spot availalble for them?

Or, are you with a new corps that cannot get the app package together in time?

Edited by brassomaniac

I have to tell you that, not long ago, I had 11 players commited to go to Rochester. And I wasn't sure about whether or not to limit our participation to brass ensemble this year. I set a date in mind, by which time certain things had to happen if we were participating in Mini-corps this year.

For ALL levels of competition... at some point, in fairness to your members, AND out of respect for those others (DCA, etc.) who will count on your word and your ability to deliver on it... you have to make a decision based on real world realities, and NOT either pie-in-the-sky hopes NOR fears that every conceivable contingency is not covered.

Those in charge have to make a call, and then see it thru. There just can't be a safety net in place for everyone who has a dream that falls short. It'd be nice, but just not gonna happen.

Edited by brassomaniac

I cannot believe all the banter back and forth over something that has NEVER happened. As already stated, last years number didn't even come close to 20, and yet we read post after post of being limited etc.........I don't get it, so much negative energy for something that won't even be an issue.

I don't know seems logical enough to me that all this engery could be better spent doing something good for the organization I belong to get to that next level I claim to strive for. Instead of posting "What have you done for ME lately".

Sorry but this all starting to have the smells of a certain CB..........

I have to tell you that, not long ago, I had 11 players commited to go to Rochester. And I wasn't sure about whether or not to limit our participation to brass ensemble this year. I set a date in mind, by which time certain things had to happen if we were participating in Mini-corps this year.

For ALL levels of competition... at some point, in fairness to your members, AND out of respect for those others (DCA, etc.) who will count on your word and your ability to deliver on it... you have to make a decision based on real world realities, and NOT either pie-in-sky hopes NOR fears that every conceivable contingency is not covered.

Those in charge have to make a call, and then see it thru. There just can't be a safety net in place for everyone who has a dream that falls short. It'd be nice, but just not gonna happen.

Wise words!