Brass Amplification

I'll tell you what. I have friends that I use to march with bitd who will not come near a drum corps show because of many of the evaluational changes. I have always understood their points but found them short-sighted to a large degree. I have friends who were what we called drum corps "nuts" that will confront me every time I call the activity drum corps. I found this to be babyish. I have friends including our previous corps director who talk about how DCI created a type of taxation on the small and mid size corps i.e those that placed anywhere between 26-50+ (in what was then the "world class" division) that squeezed these corps out of existence. History proves this to be very accurate but part of me always justified it by saying maybe DCI couldn't do anything differently or the activity had to evolve that way anyway. Through it all I have always come back and found a way of supporting the activity in one form or another, similar to what Tom Brace was talking about. I have a daughter that now marches and I'm very proud of her.

But.....I'll tell you what. This is it. If I see a whole bunch of corps amping brass this year I'm done. It will just be the final bastardization of corps that pushes me out of the activity. I'll wish them all well but my support will be over.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use lots of air.

Fix the arrangement.

Tell the ensemble not to play so loud.

Thanks for that. I am sure that nobody on these staffs has ever thought of those things.

Use lots of air.

Fix the arrangement.

Tell the ensemble not to play so loud.

What if staging sucks, for the soloist and are facing the backfield corner of the stadium?

But.....I'll tell you what. This is it. If I see a whole bunch of corps amping brass this year I'm done. It will just be the final bastardization of corps that pushes me out of the activity. I'll wish them all well but my support will be over.

I am pretty sure that you wont see a whole bunch of groups doing it. My guess is one or two at most. I have heard a few corps this year and I have been very impressed with their show design and approach. None of it seemed gimmicky or in poor taste..... I think (and hope) you will be able to go on supporting for quite some time.

What if staging sucks, for the soloist and are facing the backfield corner of the stadium?

Play louder than ####? :thumbdown: (Another old memory popping up.)

Have actually seens this a few times but rest of corps playing soft if at all. Hmmm, if the staging is off that badly, what part of the sheets should that be reflected in? Musica portion since it affects the sound, visual because the horn(s) facing bass-ackwards or both?

Fix the drill?????

Thanks for that. I am sure that nobody on these staffs has ever thought of those things.

Thinking about them and using them are 2 different things. There is no need to amp if the staff is doing there jobs and the kid can handle the solo. It's what makes the difference between a good solo and one that doesn't work. It's part of the very makeup of the competition. Also, Drum Corps has survived quite well without it. I never heard of attendance being down because people couldn't here a soloist or wished they were amped. My best friend was the 89 Phantom baritone soloist and i&e champ that year. You wouldn't need to amp him nor would it be fair to him to amplify other baritone soloists because they didn't have his ability.

Anyone remember "Is it live, or is it Memorex"

More like, "Is it live, or is it that #### thing that's used for Taps when a bugler can't be found".

:thumbup::thumbdown::lle::w00t::lle:

This was hashed about on the previous a page already. But a new option occurs to me:

For that number, have the entire audience get up out of their seats and move into the backfield seats in order to accomodate the corps' sucky staging -- because it's all about the staging designer's vision.

if you have "seen corps use it at camps" then let us know who it is.

I remember my high school using mics for a soloist one year....oh wait that was for a flute solo. :thumbdown: