Brass Amplification

What do you mean, strikes? It's not like he just slipped this into the rule book yesterday; it was voted on during the 2008 rules congress.

I don't think I've seen any evidence of any corps using this yet. But if/when they do, it'll probably be a not that big of a deal despite much over-the-top wailing on DCP. Like Bb horns, amplification....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what brass player's pride will let him/her MIC him/herself for a solo.

Yeah that Miles Davis guy and Bill Watrous, they are total wussy hacks. </sarcasm>

The amplification of any brass instrument brings with it the opportunity to utilize timbres that occur at lower dynamics. If you have to play loud enough to be heard over an ensemble in a stadium, you can only do certain things with color. I can't imagine wanting to amp more than one or two players (don't know why Hop suggest up to 12, that seems like a call for strident, overbalanced brass sound), but I personally would have no problem with a BD soloist getting to do some real Miles stuff!

In response to the bolded section;

If you amplified a soloist who playing from the endzone or backfield for a certain effect, then when the sound comes out of the amp on the front sideline you've lost your effect.

What if the effect is Visual?

Perhaps I haven't heard a group that knows how to do it well but it seems to me the tone quality changes and is not as good when amped, especially upper brass. I think most everytime I've heard it done the trumpets, especally the first in the upper register, overpowere the ensemble and at the same time the tone quality becomes very strident.

I have heard it done well.... more times than not, I have heard it done poorly though

Yeah that Miles Davis guy and Bill Watrous, they are total wussy hacks. </sarcasm>

The amplification of any brass instrument brings with it the opportunity to utilize timbres that occur at lower dynamics. If you have to play loud enough to be heard over an ensemble in a stadium, you can only do certain things with color. I can't imagine wanting to amp more than one or two players (don't know why Hop suggest up to 12, that seems like a call for strident, overbalanced brass sound), but I personally would have no problem with a BD soloist getting to do some real Miles stuff!

It is because he doesn't want people micing the whole horn line....

What if the effect is Visual?

I have heard it done well.... more times than not, I have heard it done poorly though

I guess if the effect was purely visual it might work. However, I usually think of the visual enhancing the music. So it would still be odd to me to see players and drill (or whatever the visual effect) in the backfield and have the sound coming from the front sideline.

I guess if the effect was purely visual it might work. However, I usually think of the visual enhancing the music. So it would still be odd to me to see players and drill (or whatever the visual effect) in the backfield and have the sound coming from the front sideline.

Perhaps this could aid visual design. For example, when you have a soloist you have to stage him in a certain spot to achieve maximum music effect (i.e. so he can be heard loud and clear). To get that soloist in place, you have to go back several phrases to make sure his dot can get to the solo moment in time. If you put a wireless mic on a soloist, that soloist can be anywhere on the field.

Also, you can put effects on the mic. For example, you can put a harmonizer, or a distortion effect, or something else via wireless mic.

I'm not a fan of mics on the brass. I consider you weak if you cannot project your sound out to the audience if you are an upper brass person.

HOWEVER. I have heard a some contra solos the past few years that have been incredibly hard to discerne from the field and mics might help that.

Still I'm not liking where this is going for DC

Honestly, I don't mind. (As long as it is tasteful, of course)

Agreed, some of the most dramatic moments in drum corps are achieved playing from the sideline or from/to the backside. It can be a striking integration of musical and visual effect. But if it's strictly for the visual effect, why not save the soloist a walk to the endzone and just have a guard member 'lip sync' on a fake horn. I, for one, have no interest in shows from designers who need to 'cheat' with mics for visual effects rather than express their vision while working with and respecting the natural (and amazing) acoustic qualities of the instruments and the venue.

I see that this article also indicates legalizing the use of water on the field. Are there any limits on this? I water effects are used, couldn't this have an effect on the field conditions of following corps?