Quitting this late in the season

In 92 Bluecoats, we had just finished up Hell Week in Canton and were on the busses waiting to head off on our first tour...and waiting...and waiting. Then we saw our 11th contra player hopping in a car and driving off.

His member jacket was ritualistically burned later and we never saw him again.

I gotta agree with the poster that doled out the "cold, hard truth" above. I kinda had a similar situation in '91 - I'd gone to the Bluecoat camps and passed my audition. I knew early enough though that I had to take summer classes, so was able to let the corps know early enough in the winter to let them fill my spot. If I had to back out this far into the season, I don't know that I could show my face the following year. I suppose it would depend on how the staff and section leader handled things - if they were completely understanding and sincerely wished you luck, and passed out the "see you next year"s, then you might not have a problem showing up again.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, school just has to be number one for everyone no matter what, so it is what it is. But the situation does have ramifications all the way around. The sections suffers. The overall horn line suffers less, but somewhat. And of course the corps suffers the loss and then the need to add someone in new with just a few days now before the season starts. So that's all part of it, too. If you were a strong player and an integral player (did you have a solo or anything?), that's hard for the horn instructor.

But a corps like BD won't hurt as much as some others would. I'm quite sure there's another player anxious and ready to walk in and take over the spot. It is too bad for you, though. The day will come when you will wish for this year back again. But as I said, school is #1 first and foremost.

It better be for summer school or summer classes. I know a few people, myself included, that actually put off knowing what college we got into just to do corps our senior year in high school. Got the acceptance letters halfway through tour. If you have the mental fortitude to push through, then you juggle them...sometimes :tongue:

Edited by Peach_Tea

Dude, sack up and march. You're not the first person to have school issues and march drum corps. School will be there. Drum corps won't be. You're not going to be considered for a spot next year. Not at BD at least. They'll find somebody next week as good as, if not better than you.

Sorry to give you the cold hard truth, but there it is.

And the older you get, the less important Drum Corps gets in determining the path your life took. Even going an extra semester like I did can have an effect on what happens. Even if it means extra expense on the student loan which can mean a lot to some students and families.

Hard to see when your under 21, but when you're 50+ sometimes you think "Why in the Hades did I think corps was the #1 in my life?". I graduated in Dec and had the choice of marching one last season or leaving and concentrating on my studies/getting work study/etc. Chose to march but the older I get I wonder if I made the right choice. Certainly marching/not marching one year was not that big of a deal compared to the rest of my life.

Cold hard truth is: Drum Corps is an activity that eventually ends, school is a big piece in determining the rest of your life.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

If the OP's school requirements had anything to do with poor grades, then he shouldn't be allowed to audition again.

Part of drum corps is responsibility, and not just related to music.

All of the corps I've been involved with stressed personal responsibility in all areas of life, including grades.

If you failed your class, you failed your corps.

Cold hard truth is: Drum Corps is an activity that eventually ends, school is a big piece in determining the rest of your life.....

Be cool, prioritize school :tongue:

in 1984 we kept losing members of our rifle line. after the final show of the season before finals week one of our baritones (a soloist) got ###### off and quit and he convinced his girlfriend in the rifle line, who had just had a bad show and was not happy, to quit also.

So on the bus ride down to Atlanta what was left of our rifle line learned the flag work to the sections of the show where they had been doing rifle. In Atlanta they learned new drill and we completely dropped our rifle line from the show and filled out the field with more flags.

I commend those girls for learning all that in such a short time, and I condemn the guy who walk out on the corps with a week to go and talked his girlfriend into quitnig too.

Be cool, prioritize school :cool:

:tongue: Sounds a lot nicer than my fathers "Get your head out of your ### and do what's more important".

:tongue: Sounds a lot nicer than my fathers "Get your head out of your ### and do what's more important".

wow... that was my dad, too! I guess we're related Jim. Who knew? :cool:

I think it’s lame. If you are quitting on the day of move-in than I’m betting you saw this coming, I really hope you warned them that you might have a problem. I think it’s also lame to post about this here in such a specific fashion. There are many valid reasons to quit and there are also proper ways to quit but I don’t like what I’m seeing here.

I think you just burnt a bridge