Quitting this late in the season

In this economy anything is possible. Know people who did Sr corps so they could work during the week to help out the family.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to quit because of school issues. But I do have 3 years left so that's a plus, i just hope they'l take me back

I don't think that they'll hold that against you. Most DCI corps are reasonably tolerant about academic situations. Anyway, good luck in your future.

Sorry, I have never understood. I just had a snare drummer quit a week before the first show because he decided he couldn't afford the summer. I had cut many snares who really wanted to do this so this kid could have a spot. Everyone knows how much time and money it takes and yet someone always seems to quit at the last minute. I'm sure there are some really good reasons but most of them are bull. It's just the way kids are raised today. Many will say life is more important than drum corps and it is so just stay away from it unless you are prepared to finish the season. It's not about me in drum corps, it is about the corps. Now you take time away from cleaning the corps to teach a new person your spot. I would suggest if you want to march next year you go somewhere else. I know I will never take the snare drummer back.

I had to quit because of school issues. But I do have 3 years left so that's a plus, i just hope they'l take me back

Just make sure you communicate honestly with them and continue communicating with them throughout the year...especially your brass and marching instructors. And, school is not 24/7 so in the offtime, your New Balance shoes and a euph should substitute for time goofing with friends.

That should secure you an opportunity for a spot next season.

In 1985, a contra from USC drove me and four other UCLA guys from LA to Santa Clara for every camp. SIX months of driving up about every two to three weeks. He wouldn't take money or let anyone else drive - he did all the work and paid for all the transportation expenses. He drove everyone up on move-in day, went to a few rehearsals that week, and just drove home before the weekend. It just wasn't for him. Drum corps is a very intense activity and not for everyone.

To the OP, my best guess is that you won't be considered for a spot again. There are some reasons to give a kid a second shot one year later, but most of the time the reason for quitting is lame. I hope this isn't your case, good luck with your school issues.

I was on staff for 5 seasons with a corps. We had a few kids that would quit at some point in winter/spring and come back the next season. Often they would try to "jump" a section (bass to snare etc). All kids were given a fair shake, but the quitters never failed to disappoint a second time. In my particular section they were able to keep coming to camps the second year but usually just cut themselves again. Corps isn't for everyone.

To the OP, my best guess is that you won't be considered for a spot again. There are some reasons to give a kid a second shot one year later, but most of the time the reason for quitting is lame. I hope this isn't your case, good luck with your school issues.

I was on staff for 5 seasons with a corps. We had a few kids that would quit at some point in winter/spring and come back the next season. Often they would try to "jump" a section (bass to snare etc). All kids were given a fair shake, but the quitters never failed to disappoint a second time. In my particular section they were able to keep coming to camps the second year but usually just cut themselves again. Corps isn't for everyone.

This sad, but all too often true.

sometimes people have to drop. Don't kick yourself too much. Some people even quit because they realize its not for them. I mean I guess its better to leave early then to leave a week before finals.

Edited by hrnguy500

Dude, sack up and march. You're not the first person to have school issues and march drum corps. School will be there. Drum corps won't be. You're not going to be considered for a spot next year. Not at BD at least. They'll find somebody next week as good as, if not better than you.

Sorry to give you the cold hard truth, but there it is.

Edited by contrajedi8