Quitting this late in the season

"Hi, I'm Bob and I'm a quitter..."

Back in '81 I earned a euphonium spot, then quit the corps in March or April. Regretted it for the rest of the summer. Tried out again for the line in '82, made it and stuck with it. I cant say they held it (quitting the year before) against me at my tryout, but it was several camps before I felt confidant that I had a spot for sure. And the brass caption head didn't have one nice thing to say to me all season until we were getting ready to march into the big "O" in Montreal, when he told me "I'm glad you came back".

This was years ago. This was not the Blue Devils. My gut feeling is you will have a VERY hard time getting a spot next year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this has to do more with your parents than it actually has to do with school, then I'd call the director today and have him speak to your folks to see if you can still march this summer.

By leaving now, you are sending them the message that you aren't a reliable person. Quitting today doesn't give them any reason to reward you with a spot again in the future.

If you told the staff a month or two ago there was a chance you couldn't do tour, given them notice so they could have alternate plans for your spot, then exited gracefully, you probably would have a better chance of earning a spot again in the future. However, here it is move in day and you are quitting. That leaves them in a bind until they can get an alternate into that spot, and doesn't leave them with a good last impression of you. Doesn't matter how hard you worked, or how much you wanted to be there- in the end, you didn't hold up your end of the deal. That's what they are going to remember.

They may take a chance on you as an alternate in the future, but I doubt that they'd give you a spot again anytime soon- especially when there are plenty of auditionees that want to be in the line.

The problem with this is that I highly doubt you just now figured out you were having problems with school.

You didn't wake up this morning only to discover that you were failing a class or whatever.

If you didn't keep the staff up to date on problems you were having and just let them think everything was fine up until the day you were supposed to move in then they have every right to hold it against you next year. You now known to be completely unreliable.

You have to watch what you say regarding your commitment to the corps. If you have a spot and then tell them..."well I have some issues that might come up later this summer which might require that I quit.." Do you think the corps will invest in you? If its a matter of "my mother is going through medical issues" they might understand. However, if its something that might "catch up to you" then the corps would have cut you before move ins. I would have kept my mouth shut if it were anything other than family related issues.

Corps rely on you to do you part and be there every rehearsal/show/season. They know there is a chance that anyone could leave at any time (injuries for ex.) Depending on the situation you can talk to the corps about possible conflicts and let them know you show an interest in making it work.

Let's not all assume what actions the OP did or did not take or what his specific reasons were for leaving. Seems to be a bunch of folks ready to tell him what a failure he is.

Suffice it to say that if you are leaving for a last-minute, beyond your control school issue (lost scholarship, etc) and explain this, you will probably be fine next year. If you are leaving for a school issue that was in your control (grades, etc) and have kept the staff informed for more than the last few weeks, you may still be ok. I would find it hard to believe that an organization like BD would have issues with either of these scenarios.

If you are leaving for reasons under your control and just sprang this on them, your only hope is to do EVERYTHING in you power to show your commitment and reliability for next year. Spend time volunteering this summer. Come back a far better player than they ever imagined you could be. Share your plan for removing the risk of such issues re-occurring. Even with all of that, BD is a very in-demand destination and if I had to choose between someone who had left me for irresponsible reasons and a comparable player who had not left me in the lurch, I would have to go with the prospective member.

Good Luck!

Sorry, I have never understood. I just had a snare drummer quit a week before the first show because he decided he couldn't afford the summer. I had cut many snares who really wanted to do this so this kid could have a spot. Everyone knows how much time and money it takes and yet someone always seems to quit at the last minute. I'm sure there are some really good reasons but most of them are bull. It's just the way kids are raised today. Many will say life is more important than drum corps and it is so just stay away from it unless you are prepared to finish the season. It's not about me in drum corps, it is about the corps. Now you take time away from cleaning the corps to teach a new person your spot. I would suggest if you want to march next year you go somewhere else. I know I will never take the snare drummer back.

I hate to tell you this, but just because your life revolves around corps doesn't mean everyone else should as well. As an instructor if you don't plan for situations like this, much less expect them and then learn how to deal with them, then you should find a new line of work. In whatever profession you are in, you should always be ready for situation that are out of your control. Kids are kids, and they will always have bull excuses. But life happens, family situations happen, and sometimes kids get cold feet or scared. Sometimes they find out that they aren't ready for the work that is involved. While its disappointing, it's not reason to bash a kids brain in because it caused you inconvenience. Take the high road, wish him/her well, and move on.

And quite honestly, with an attitude like yours, I think I could see why he would quit. I wouldn't want to march for you either.

And just to let you know, life is life. Drum corps is a part of life, but only a part of it. Family is much more important than corps. School is more important than corps. In fact, there are many other things are more important than corps. But I have a feeling it's going to take a while for you to figure that out, if you ever do.

Good luck to you... and the kids you teach.

Edited by Newseditor44

Cold hard truth is: Drum Corps is an activity that eventually ends, school is a big piece in determining the rest of your life.....

Couldn't have said it better Jim. If I'd known then what I know now...

Drum corps is a great experience, but it ends. Life doesn't. I have yet to be hired for a job based on my drum corps experience, but college and those extra internships sure did the trick.

But hey, well all have our priorities.

I was going to march in a DCI corps in 2006. I made it until the last weekend in April. My sister had an accident and severed three fingers on her left hand. My mom's already physically handicapped and my dad's away at work most of the day during the week, so I made the decision that as much as I wanted to march, my mom and my sister needed me more at home for those 6 or 8 weeks. I ended up marching in a DCA corps that summer anyway, but since then I haven't had the time or the money to do DCI.

The lesson is... I dunno, really. Just felt like saying it. Thinking about it, I still don't know if I regret that decision or not.

I marched 2006 and 2007 without a hitch. Loved it.

I marched 2008 through spring training and the first show, the Show of Shows in Rockford. I was diagnosed with a stress fractures and arthritis in my right foot, and that was the end of my season. I am unable to march my age-out this year because of these injuries. If I were to march, it would likely be at the expense of my ability to walk unhindered for the rest of my life.

These kind of decisions are terribad.

Well Jason, my life doesn't revolve around drum corps. I don't know how many corps you have taught but I'm sorry you don't keep snare drummers in the wings that know the show and are ready to step in when someone quits a week before the first show. So I don't plan on things happening like this. I have been involved in drum corps since 1987 and with the exception of a snare drummer quitting a week before finals in 89 with the corps that you marched with, this has never happened to me so late in the season. As far as my attitude goes, you have no ####### idea what you are talking about. I am talking about a DCA corps and there is no tour. Another staff member and myself were covering his member dues and when he told me a month ago that he still could not afford a plane ticket, I got him a job. I did everything I could for this 20 year old kid and he still quit.I do everything I can to help anyone out and make sure it is fun for them It's no like he was a rookie and had no idea what he was getting into, he was a vet. And you are correct, there are many other things more important than drum corps and it is not for everyone. If thst is the case they should stay away and enjoy life. I'm sorry you didn't know what you know now. I guess drum corps ####ed up your life. Last I heard you were doing really well in life, I guess I was wrong. That #### nasty life destroying drum corps.