DCA Mini Corps Championships

Man - just when you thought it was safe to go back in the Water,,,

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the Shadow continues to make the connection with his juvenile rant you won't hear the end of it. Just sayin

I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure how, but I've managed to separate out James' ranting from the organization he has some connection to. In my mind, when I talk about "his corps", I'm talking about some other group, not Austin, that I don't actually know the name of.

I think I might call them "The Hypotheticals"

Financial thresholds are not set in stone like the 35 rule.

Actually, yes they are, and to the same degree. The 35 rule only applies to official DCA shows, just like the tag price only applies to the vendors that use that. Just ask the Kingsmen about it sometime.

You think the 35 rule is set in stone? Funny, 'cause there's a clear method of getting it altered that doesn't require a sledge hammer nor a bulldozer, and has been suggested to you multiple times.

But I guess being totally ineffective is preferable to you, for some reason.

I'm fighting for all corps < 35 members. Who USED to have a place with DCA. This is still a volunteer activity isn't it? Sorry dude, we can't take you if you didn't bring 34 friends. I know you're "volunteering" and all, but those are the rules.

Just like it's the rules that you've got to have G bugles (oh, wait, someone changed that), that you've got to do inspection (oh, wait, someone changed that), that you cannot set any instruments like keyboards or chimes or tympani down (oh, wait, someone changed that), that you've got to start on the left goal-line and be able to march all the way across the field in pass-and-review (oh, wait, someone changed that), that you can't have valves on the bugles (oh, wait, someone changed that).

I wonder how all those things got changed? Maybe it was by the expedient of someone being off-putting and illogical on a message board somewhere? They had online message boards back in the 60s, right?

Dude,

There simply has to be a line somewhere - if you don't agree with 35, there still has to be one. If they made it 30, you'd ##### that you can only get 29, etc. etc.

True story - I once judged a marching band here on the East Coast that put out 4 (yes - four) marching members, plus 2 flags. (2 drums, 2 winds)

It wasn't a spoof. They were serious. it was the toughest critique I've ever done. How do you counter that "We're just trying to get something started" argument?

By the way the school had a decent student count - 1,300, and was from a large suburb of a mid-sized city.

Sometimes there have to be rules for the activities own good - as someone will always defy common sense and embarrass not only themselves, but ruin any chance to ever get something going there.

It's a hard, cold, ugly fact. You can deal with it, or retire to Neverland with the rest of the lost boys and ##### to Wendy.

Oh yeah, I forgot - she wised up and went home.

Edited by rayfallon

Sometimes there have to be rules for the activities own good - as someone will always defy common sense and embarrass not only themselves, but ruin any chance to ever get something going there.

And one of the reasons (main reason?) for the 35 and over rule was people attending local shows were not happy if one (or two) of the competing corps was extra small sized. Complaint was they weren't getting their moneys worth.

And if the customers ain't happy, yer screwed.....

This is an excellent point.

The suggestion that allowing tiny corps' on the field will lead to the development of more Open Class corps' (implied on here, recently) is backwards, IMO.

One can site countless examples, all over the country, of poorly thought-out or under-resourced start-ups who tried to force out groups not yet prepared. I personally believe that it HURTS recruiting, and many times has hurt the chances of subsequent groups, in the same area.

Edited by brassomaniac

This is an excellent point.

The suggestion that allowing tiny corps' on the field will lead to the development of more Open Class corps' (implied on here, recently) is backwards, IMO.

One can site countless examples, all over the country, of poorly thought-out or under-resourced start-ups who tried to force out groups not yet prepared. I personally believe that it HURTS recruiting, and many times has hurt the chances of subsequent groups, in the same area.

I also think that DCA, in addition to looking out for itself, sponsors and tickets buyers... is also doing these corps a favor; by setting standards and minimums... and giving them guidence to help acheive these.

Sheesh.....and here I thought this was a thread on MiniCorps.

This thread is serving no related purpose and should be closed............just sayin'

Ghost Riders are very good! Honestly...I went to a rehearsal last night.

Donny