Blue Stars and...

Lame. I started on the clarinet. I love it. I majored in it in college. I learned tuba in 10th grade and marched and taught contra for 5 years in drum corps. I never even thought it would be brought to the drum corps medium. Lame. I don't care if it is for an encore. Lame. Even Ticheli's Blue Shades. Lame.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a plan we break every reed before their encore :thumbup:

Lame. I started on the clarinet. I love it. I majored in it in college. I learned tuba in 10th grade and marched and taught contra for 5 years in drum corps. I never even thought it would be brought to the drum corps medium. Lame. I don't care if it is for an encore. Lame. Even Ticheli's Blue Shades. Lame.

Clarinet and Tuba...two the most uncool instruments to admit to playing......now thats Lame

Just like my last comment was Lame, I actually don't think either of those instruments is lame. I saw an opportunity for a joke and took it even though I dont agree with it......i just wanted to be the first to take a stab at it

I just came from the Blue Stars premier. The clarinet is featured in the encore of "Rhapsody in Blue." It is an amazing arrangement. I think y'all should wait to hear it to judge whether you like it or not. The clarinetist is *very* good.

---tom

It's Flute Man Greg...

Seriously...This is a pretty lame attempt at getting some exposure or PR for the corps. You know the old adage at least they're talking about us. The sad thing is that the corps has come so far in the last couple years and has so much to offer...why put this out there unless it is a trial balloon for the woodwind debate sure to come in the coming years.

It's Drum & Bugle corps...nothing more...nothing less...

I just came from the Blue Stars premier. The clarinet is featured in the encore of "Rhapsody in Blue." It is an amazing arrangement. I think y'all should wait to hear it to judge whether you like it or not. The clarinetist is *very* good.

---tom

and would sound greater without the clarinet

You just can't have Rhapsody in Blue without a clarinet. Sorry, it just doesn't work. That was the only reason I hated when Phantom did it. I applaud BS for having the balls to have a woodwind player on board for an encore piece. I don't think it makes them any less of a drum corps by any means. And as far as the "drum and bugle corps" name goes, they haven't used bugles in a while, so that in itself is a misnomer. Just sayin'.

Note: I play clarinet. I also play mello. I specifically taught myself mello so I could march corps. Form your opinion of me from that how you will.

ive heard the song plenty of times without clarinets and loved it. Woodwinds belong inside.

Note: I play clarinet. I also play mello. I specifically taught myself mello so I could march corps. Form your opinion of me from that how you will.

in the 5 years I was in drum corps, i was one of the few people who was in the pit that didnt play a brass or woodwind instrument as their first instrument.

---tom

i've already heard Rhapsody in Blue this year thanks to the Nashville Symphony's season opening gala and heard an amazing clarinetist, James Zimmermann, play it.

and that's where it belongs...in the concert hall.