Blue Stars and...

So this is how it all begins. First an "innocent experiment", then a slow evolution into acceptance. DCI will morph into BOA. It's just a matter of time. It's interesting to note that most of the people who don't have a problem with these "experiments" either never marched or only marched within the last few years. History and tradition do have a place in drum corps and it's sad that we're always told to "lighten up" everytime the look and sound of corps is being pushed to change. It also seems that we are having more and more corps that "we don't have to watch em if we don't like em". The frog is in the pot and they've been turning up the heat slowly for a long time now.

It is definitely not the same activity I fell in love with in 1976. I never Marched Corps either. I did March for 7 years though and have kept playing off and on ever since. I've also followed DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS ever since that first show in 1976 and have not missed a summer yet. DCI was unique for a reason. Not just for the difference in excellence but for the difference in instrumentation and how that instumentation was utilized. Now, sadly, it's becoming marching band taken to the next level. It's not becoming BOA, It's becoming MBI. I think they should just get honest with themselves and change the name. OR, I have a better IDEA! Start MBI as it's own circuit and let DRUM CORPS go back to being DRUM CORPS. That way both sides are happy. WOW! like the one poster's sig says "Common Sense! So rare it's a SUPER POWER!"

Edited by Perry S

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to note that most of the people who don't have a problem with these "experiments" either never marched or only marched within the last few years.

If you want to paint with that brush, then it's been interesting for me to note that most of the people using word like "history" and "tradition" are generally referring to an era they lived through, and not an era that they had to learn about after the fact.

I play flute, love flute choirs, and play in a woodwind quartet.

I play tuba, play in a community band. My best freind plays clarinet and is also in the band.

I go to the opera to hear amazing singing voices.

Last Friday I went to the symphony and heard an amazing concert; Rackmaninoff piano concerto #3 and selections from Wagners Ring.

I enjoy each different type of ensemble for it's unique qualities and different sounds.

When I come to drum corps I want to hear great brass and percussion! Is there something wrong with wanting to keep the activity unique? Is there something wrong with enjoying the unique sounds and style we have? I have yet for Mike D, Matt or other pro anything goes people to answer this question which I have posed many times on these threads.

I play flute, love flute choirs, and play in a woodwind quartet.

I play tuba, play in a community band. My best freind plays clarinet and is also in the band.

I go to the opera to hear amazing singing voices.

Last Friday I went to the symphony and heard an amazing concert; Rackmaninoff piano concerto #3 and selections from Wagners Ring.

I enjoy each different type of ensemble for it's unique qualities and different sounds.

When I come to drum corps I want to hear great brass and percussion! Is there something wrong with wanting to keep the activity unique? Is there something wrong with enjoying the unique sounds and style we have? I have yet for Mike D, Matt or other pro anything goes people to answer this question which I have posed many times on these threads.

Thank you very well put.

So this is how it all begins. First an "innocent experiment", then a slow evolution into acceptance. DCI will morph into BOA. It's just a matter of time. It's interesting to note that most of the people who don't have a problem with these "experiments" either never marched or only marched within the last few years. History and tradition do have a place in drum corps and it's sad that we're always told to "lighten up" everytime the look and sound of corps is being pushed to change. It also seems that we are having more and more corps that "we don't have to watch em if we don't like em". The frog is in the pot and they've been turning up the heat slowly for a long time now.

I marched for three years. I was in a championship caliber BOA marching band in high school. I will never be "okay" or "accepting" of woodwind instruments in a drum corps show.

However...

I'll keep my mind open to someone else's idea, at least until I can hear it and pass judgment on it myself. Many years I've come to rehearsals, heard the show design that I'm planning on marching and said "Uhh... what?" If I had not taken an attitude of giving some of these ideas a chance, I probably wouldn't have marched at all, as radical as some of them have been. Anywhere near a clarinet on the field? No sir. But an idea will stand and be judged by the people that witness it live and if there is a huge public outcry (as we have seen with some shows in the recent past), then the idea will cease to be a prominent player in the activity (as we are starting to see).

I'm just interested to see how the idea turns out. /shrug.

More to the point, though, I don't think you've considered what a double-edged sword that argument is. That kid pictured playing the clarinet is a Blue Star. This summer he will be leaving the same amount of sweat on various football fields as you did. If marching experience is really what you want to hang your hat on, well that kid pictured, playing the clarinet with his drum corps, will soon have the same legitimacy of opinion as you. (Of course, I'm assuming he's a rookie; it might be that he already has a year or more under his belt.)

He's a vet.....a really good one.

It's interesting to note that most of the people who don't have a problem with these "experiments" either never marched or only marched within the last few years.

or the people that play the instrument

I find this forum more entertaining than TV at times.

I also marched many years ago and thought I had seen the end of drum corps 25-30 times.

I keep going back to practices whenever I think I smell diesel or the faint sound of a bass drum 9 blocks away.

11 pages of responses over a clarinet in an encore performance.

I think we all need to get a life.

no playing and just burn the piece of wood and that would be a good encore.

Everybody relax..... maybe they'll bring in all these band instruments quicker than we thought and then somebody will get the idea right after that to start something new and fresh : a Drum and Bugle Corps.

As Yogi Berra said.... then " It'll be DeJa Vu all over again "

Edited by BRASSO