Blue Stars and...

As long as you're willing to admit it! :D

No, but really, that staff is what I think most on these could consider of "classical drum corps" pedagogy. I have no fear that the clarinet goes any farther than a single encore tune.

:)

so i guess i should tell the torch-wielding villagers to go away.

LOL. Very good one. You know, we all know what clarinets sound like outside. We've all seen marching band. :thumbup:

It's wonderful, but it is a different activity.

*curtsies*

i try to block those days out. however, it was always fun to call them out from the podium.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, please don't tell me what to feel or that i'm over-reacting. In just the short time of my involvement, I've watched this activity change into something that even I hardly recognize. In the last 10 years we've witnessed what amounts to changes more drastic and controversial than in the previous 50. So when we see something like this, pardon us for being cynical. We also thought we'd never see amplified pit instruments either but here they are.

It all starts somewhere...and for those of us who feel some ownership in the activity we were a part of, it very well may be a big deal. A small snowball at the top of a hill seems insignificant until it starts rolling.

So please, don't tell me I'm over-reacting...

Cmon guys, it's an encore tune, nothing more nothing less.

Maybe they just thought one day, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we use that really good clarinetist in a little tune for encore. JUST FOR FUN?!?!"

Chill out, if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. Technically it's extra music, so you didn't really pay for it. It's not a slippery slope where every show is required to have a minimum of 2 marching bassoons. It's not the beginning of the end. It's an encore piece. So lighten up!

Edited by BigBadMadMan

With all due respect, please don't tell me what to feel or that i'm over-reacting. In just the short time of my involvement, I've watched this activity change into something that even I hardly recognize. In the last 10 years we've witnessed what amounts to changes more drastic and controversial than in the previous 50. So when we see something like this, pardon us for being cynical. We also thought we'd never see amplified pit instruments either but here they are.

It all starts somewhere...and for those of us who feel some ownership in the activity we were a part of, it very well may be a big deal. A small snowball at the top of a hill seems insignificant until it starts rolling.

So please, don't tell me I'm over-reacting...

Ok, when the sky falls on us and clarinets are allowed in drum corps, you can be the first to tell me "I told you so". :thumbup:

I just came from the Blue Stars premier. The clarinet is featured in the encore of "Rhapsody in Blue." It is an amazing arrangement. I think y'all should wait to hear it to judge whether you like it or not. The clarinetist is *very* good.

---tom

awesome. i look forward to the BOA video it will end up on

(sarcasm off)

Ok, when the sky falls on us and clarinets are allowed in drum corps, you can be the first to tell me "I told you so". :thumbup:

You don't have to take me or anyone else who has a negative reaction seriously if you don't want to...but 10 years ago I doubt many of us here would have fathomed electronics in the pit either.

Your signature says it all. I can respect the opinions of those who have never marched yet love the activity....but it takes a lot of nerve to tell those of us who have left a lot of sweat on various football fields participating in the activity we all enjoy that we're "over-reacting".

I can respect the opinions of those who have never marched yet love the activity....but it takes a lot of nerve to tell those of us who have left a lot of sweat on various football fields participating in the activity we all enjoy that we're "over-reacting".

I never marched corps either, and while I never want clarinets in DCI, I believe the part of your post that I quoted is very insulting, and of course, completely absurd.

It's insulting because it implies that not having marched somehow automatically lessens the validity of somebody else's views. Surely you must understand that's just wrong, and I would hope that most corps imbue their participants with values that help them recognize it.

It's absurd because I'm relatively certain you've never participated in professional politics, or professional athletics, or any number of things. If somebody told you that you "had a lot of nerve" commentating on any of those things simply because you had never participated in them, they would sound just as absurd.

To the point: it's fine to say that somebody is wrong about something, and to give reasonable points as to why. Saying "you never participated in it" doesn't automatically do that.