The Rockford Tap

Just got home from the show and Im dead tired, but couldnt go to bed without saying how insanely good the Bluecoats drumline is. And the rest of the Corps is just phenomenal. Wow, if they have a guard and can march, WATCH OUT!!! Ive never been so entertained by a standstill!!!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eah they announced some corps would be performing in "street clothes". This just frosts my backside! I think that is pathetic, and before anyone tries to give me a reason, let me just say that would NEVER have happened back in the day. Also I paid $60 for to tickets dog-gonnit.

Well back in my day (1978) we were at a show in Indiana or Kentucky with Santa Clara. It had threatened all night but never rained, there was no lightning or thunder. Santa Clara opted to march their performance in t shirts and shorts. People werent too happy back then either. SCV won the show anyhow.

All good tonight. As much as we wanted to see the guard and drill, hearing the music and a few encores made it very satisfactory.

Just a thought: the corps who put their drumline in front of the hornline came across as more entertaining. This was especially true with Bluecoats who had their hornline as close as possible to the stands with the battery in the center. Snares had insane sticks tricks, tenors too. I really couldn't keep my eyes off their work. Hats off to Bluecoats who changed their mind to stay & play. I know one set of parents who drove hours just too see their son perform.

Also many 'thank you's' to the amazing Show of Show's staff who 'weathered' this storm with grace and charm. They kept the fans up to date with constant announcements.

3 AM...sleep.

Mav...zzzzzzzzz

Was at the show last night as well,

I agree with most all that was said. Madison sounded great! Blue Coats Drums were Great and having a Blast! It took Spirit a long time to get on the field, the whole Bass thing?? We'll see when it is put with the marching show (sorry it is just going to take me awhile if ever to get used to that much electronics) they had a big sound though. Cavies offsetting voices sounded wild and will be interesting when marched. I missed Blue Stars but the music sounded good from outside the stands. Phantom big full sound. I was very impressed with Pioneer, no doubt the best Pioneer Corps in along time. Can't wait to see everyone march!!

I was fortunate to get out of the grass/swamp parking lot last night, there were alot of stuck cars in the mud.

All good tonight. As much as we wanted to see the guard and drill, hearing the music and a few encores made it very satisfactory.

Just a thought: the corps who put their drumline in front of the hornline came across as more entertaining. This was especially true with Bluecoats who had their hornline as close as possible to the stands with the battery in the center. Snares had insane sticks tricks, tenors too. I really couldn't keep my eyes off their work. Hats off to Bluecoats who changed their mind to stay & play. I know one set of parents who drove hours just too see their son perform.

Also many 'thank you's' to the amazing Show of Show's staff who 'weathered' this storm with grace and charm. They kept the fans up to date with constant announcements.

3 AM...sleep.

Mav...zzzzzzzzz

Very true about the Corps formation. Out of the 4 of us that came, the 4 Corps who played with the drum sections in front and had horns close to the stands were by far in a way more entertaining. The best setup was Spirit.

If I had to judge last nights Corps on stricty entertainment value it would go:

Bluecoats-by a long shot. My lord they were outstanding! That drum line is out of control entertaining. Crowd went crazy. I had shivers for most of it! LOUD LOUD LOUD!

Phantom-Ear piercing, literally stupid loud :w00t: , especially the Mellophone line. Phantom muscially has the goods to deliver a repeat.

Spirit-Loud and beautiful music. They sounded easily top 12 to me. Whats better than carry on our wayward son and dust in the wind? REALLY liked Spirit. 10 FREAKING SNARES!

Blue Stars- Rich luscious tones from Stars. Oh yeah, LOUD!

Madison-They were in traditional arc and did not move the crowd like the others. They have some good impacts but as I have witnessed in Baraboo, but was just not the same because they were so much further away from the crowd. Music was great.

Pioneer-Always enjoy watching Pio. Pretty sure there scores will be much higher this year judging soley on their music.

Cavaliers-This hurts to say as I am a Cavies fan, but holy :rolleyes::w00t::w00t::w00t: . There music book did absolutely nothing for me, and judging the crowds response, they agree. I dont know if its how the music is written, but it seemed to me there phasing was not good at all. I was VERY surprised, especially seeing it was a standstill.

I obviously missed something.

I also spent way to much money at the souvie booths. I just cant help myself and know the Corps need the $.

Did I mention that BLOOOOOOOOOO was outstanding?

Edited by BlueByYou2000

Did I mention that BLOOOOOOOOOO was outstanding?

actually you did

Very true about the Corps formation. Out of the 4 of us that came, the 4 Corps who played with the drum sections in front and had horns close to the stands were by far in a way more entertaining. The best setup was Spirit.

Spirit-Loud and beautiful music. They sounded easily top 12 to me. Whats better than carry on our wayward son and dust in the wind? REALLY liked Spirit. 10 FREAKING SNARES!

:rolleyes:

:w00t:

most of last year's ageouts had been in the corps for 3 or 4 years...so that's not the case.

Good morning. Haven't read past this post, but I would say that at least half, if not two-thirds of the age outs were first year members.

Cavaliers-This hurts to say as I am a Cavies fan, but holy :rolleyes::w00t::w00t::w00t: . There music book did absolutely nothing for me, and judging the crowds response, they agree. I dont know if its how the music is written, but it seemed to me there phasing was not good at all. I was VERY surprised, especially seeing it was a standstill.

I obviously missed something.

Actually the 'phasing' you heard was intentional. And I thought a genius effect. Rather than use electronics, they voiced echo's to create a chasm feel - that 'great divide'. With the guard and marching added - it will work quite nicely.

Mav