Vanguard Show

After seeing the show tonight, I'm inclined to agree with AZEuph, though it's not becuase we both played Euphonium (but you do get points there!). Here is what I wrote in my review of the show:

SCV - I've been trying to figure out a way to review this show, and I just don't know how. They are the feel good corps. You want this show to give you more, and while watching it you sit on the edge of your seat... waiting... and waiting... and waiting. It's like they are teasing you. but then you start getting distracted by the visual program. You notice the horns aren't moving a whole lot. You notice they aren't taking very big steps (they spend most of the time marching less than 8 to 5). You notice they don't cover anything higher than the front hash for about a third of the show. You want the tempos to be higher. You want them to fly across the field. But it's just not happening. It starts to wear on you and becomes distracting.

So after feeling disappointed for about 8 minutes, they start playing "Simple Gifts" and draw you in with this rich, lush sound. Then all of a sudden... BAM! They hit you with this absolutely beautiful company front that comes from out of nowhere. Then you get tingly, stand and cheer (first standing ovation during a performance tonight, and this is a full minute before the show ends)... babies are flying, old ladies are fainting, and there isn't a dry eye in the house. They finish the show backfield on a soft, beautiful chord that leaves you feeling all happy inside.

Then you say, WTF? Why couldn't they do this for the first 8 minutes?! You feel cheated, kinda like a prom queen who lost "it" in the back seat of a Chevy and then got bailed on without a hug.

These kids can play, they have the talent. They can march if you'd let them loose, but the design team isn't giving them the show to do it. It's really disappointing, and leaves you wanting to find the design team and kick them in the butt. IF the tempos pick up (which they will), and if they pick up dramatically, the less demanding drill might work in their favor and actually look a bit better.

Edited by Newseditor44

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the first competitive show of the season. From what I saw last Sunday (Family Day), it's a very safe show. If I were to call it now, it would probably be middle-of-the-pack. It's like they're performing a 70's-80's show in 2009. The brassline & percussion are pretty solid. The guard is high off of their win at WGI. I think the corps is performing a skeleton show now, but will make some significant changes (as many corps do) by the time "August-Madness" arrives. We've seen/heard this show so many times over the years that it might be a little more difficult to design this particular show with 2009 flair that even Copland would appreciate.

I find this on-going dilemma of their visual program to be beyond hysterical. The drill is too hard, the drill is too late....now the drill is TOO EASY!!! HAHAHA!!!

Dear Vanguard,

Please do yourselves a favor: fire your drill writer.

Love

Flam Control

I find this on-going dilemma of their visual program to be beyond hysterical. The drill is too hard, the drill is too late....now the drill is TOO EASY!!! HAHAHA!!!

Dear Vanguard,

Love

Flam Control

and make Myron Rosander able to write for you again :)

Wasn't timing it - was that their whole show? Are they ending it on the soft note back field, or is there a closer coming?

Dear Vanguard,

Love

Flam Control

Naw, they just need some rewrites and they'll be fine by San Antonio

saw a video on you-know-where of their brass warming up in the lot. seriously, i don't recall scv sounding so good as they do now. their new caption head must be doing wonders!

btw, thanks for the review Newseditor.

Their hornline is stellar, as is BD's. When the Dev's hit their first note tonight, it was so rich and full. Just like a breath fo fresh air. It's all about cleaning up the middle 5 or so minutes of the show.

Dear Vanguard,

Love

Flam Control

I don't think anybody is calling for Weber's job because I think most would agree that his drill the past few seasons have been tops if not top 2-3. But he should be able to design easy drill that is still effective and creative. This show seems to lack some of that Weber magic we've grown accustom to the past few years.

Yeeeeeeeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree wit cha' there Bob......

It seems to be that this guy has been the root of their problems since 2005, and for whatever reason he can't seem to get the job done correctly. Not sure why he hasn't been canned yet, they seem to have fired just about everyone else.